How much do you spend a week?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

How much a week?

<$40
74%
$41-60
16%
$61-80
2%
$81-100
No votes
$101-120
2%
$121-140
2%
>$140
2%

Total votes: 43

Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF

How much do you spend a week?

Postby Fenriswolf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:27 am

Cat and dog food combined please. :)

I'm mostly making this out of jealousy - sorry if it's been done but I want to whinge! I want to switch to raw but so far have had difficulty finding anyone who can consistently source me, not to mention changing 8 cats over to raw... fun fun.

Now I have never examined how much I spend on food because I don't want to know, but I was looking at trying Ziwipeak, a NZ freeze-dried kibble, that comes in venison, venison and fish or lamb with 84.5% protein, added NZ green lip mussel, fish oil and a bunch of other stuff. lol

I pay cost + GST + 5% but only save a very small amount as food is marked up like 20%. I worked out eventually that for some reason if I follow their feeding guide the cat food will cost exactly the same as the Iams, but the dog food will cost twice as much (oh and we don't sell this food at the moment, I was contemplating badgering my boss into getting it in).

So how much do I spend a week on dog and cat food? $129.65. That's ~$520/month. That's not even including rat food and litter, or fish food though the latter in nominal.

I am depressed. :sad:

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:24 am

That's sad! How many animals do you feed???

spammie

Postby spammie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:01 pm

I feed 2 dogs Diamond Naturals. A 40 lb bag is 32.00 and they get 7 cups/day combined. It last about 5 weeks.

heartbullies

Re: How much do you spend a week?

Postby heartbullies » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:27 pm

ZiwiPeak is *expensive*

I have never seen the food but when the treats are over $20 per bag.... eeek. Though Booker does like that venison/mussel one a lot but I only bought the trial size bag. lol

That's a lot of animals to feed. Are they all happy & healthy on their current diets or are there health issues that are precipitating a search to find a new food? I just have the one dog and it took several tries to find a diet that worked out for him, I would probably end up with 15 different diets if I had 15 animals. lol

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:35 pm

I go through about 1 40 lbs bag of kibble every 3 weeks or so... and Trixie goes through 4 bags of her raw food every 45ish days. I added in some treats, too. I spend about $21 a week at this rate.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:35 pm

>$2.50 a day for the dog and three cats, all on raw.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:39 pm

I should add - cats eat way more than dogs per pound, at least in my house. The dog is over 50lbs, and eats one pound a day. The cats add up to less than 30lbs and eat one pound a day (combined). All animals are healthy, slender weights (their mom, not so much). So the dog costs about $1.25, and the cats cost about $0.42 each, per day. There are cheaper options, too, but I don't have the energy to go on a hunt every month.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:54 pm

Ugh! I screwed up the poll. I'm the one that answered > $140. I was thinking monthly, not weekly. I get paid once per month, so I buy the full month's pet food at once.

I spend around $140 for my three cats' food (they get canned food only, rotation of EVO and California Natural). For the dogs, a 35lb bag of Healthwise generally lasts them the month, and it's around $45 (price went way up recently).

So for 5 animals, somewhere around $40-$50 per week.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:25 pm

I put less than $40 per week. But I have just one dog and one fish. Booker, the dog, eats both raw and California Natural as the freezer dictates. Zombie, the fish, eats bloodworms and pellets, and I think the packages of these will last probably 6 months.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:27 pm

I only have two dogs so it is less than $40 a week. Every two weeks, I buy a 15 pound bag of NV plus a 5 pound bag free. That, in itself is $30.00. I also buy some canned food, a Natural Balance roll, canned salmon, sardines, and a roll of hamburger meat. I am guessing every 2 weeks I am spending $75?

Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Fenriswolf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Ah, I wish everything wasn't so much more expensive here. *pathetic face* I can't really whinge, it's not all bad, but sometimes I look at US prices and am like *sigh*. lol

RuffMuttK9z wrote:That's sad! How many animals do you feed???

3 dogs, or 220lbs worth. Haha. Bronx is ~95lbs and he has to be on a hypoallergenic diet, Dax and Ahi are around 60lbs and can eat whatever. Aaaand 8 cats. They're all little, but still.

I mean, I chose to have this many, but I just hadn't realised I spent that much. Whoops!

kaliya5
Super Bully

Postby kaliya5 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:43 pm

3 dogs and 1 cat, FAR less than $40 per week on kibble. Now if I included treats and chews, etc. it would be higher.

For the dogs I buy a 28.6 lb bag of EVO at $45 which lasts them about 4 weeks on average. I have one APBT and two smaller dogs. He eats 2 cups per day, and between the two of them, the smaller ones eat about 1.5 cups per day.

For the cat, a 6.6 lb bag of EVO lasts a long time, nearly two months, because she is a tiny cat and only eats 1/4-1/3 cup per day.

I like the grain-free foods because you feed smaller amounts. I visit the feed store about half as often as I used to.

I also supplement their food with a little fish oil. Now their food has some Omega 3s in it from herring meal, but I like to add just a bit extra for Boss' coat. It has made such a difference in helping his full-body dandruff that appeared when the weather got cold and dry.

The cost of kibble + fish oil supplements averages out to less than $15 per week.

Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Fenriswolf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Ziwipeak is the first grain-free kibble I've found over here. I did try Felidae actually, though I couldn't really afford Canidae because of the price difference, and only stopped because my cats who will eat anything were not impressed. They ate it, but looked so sad!

And yeah, the total is not to include treats. :)

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Fenriswolf wrote:3 dogs, or 220lbs worth. Haha. Bronx is ~95lbs and he has to be on a hypoallergenic diet, Dax and Ahi are around 60lbs and can eat whatever. Aaaand 8 cats. They're all little, but still.

I mean, I chose to have this many, but I just hadn't realised I spent that much. Whoops!

I am currently feeding 18 dogs, which is a few less than normal. Typically I have anywhere from 20-25 and with 25 we go through about 80lbs of food per week, or ~$40 worth of food. Everyone here gets Kirkland and yes, everyone does just fine on it. I had a couple of dogs that I THOUGHT had food issues but over time I realized it had more to do with maintaining their overall immune system and mental health and once those were in check, the digestive tract followed suit.

Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Fenriswolf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Yeah our food is quite simply more expensive over here. That was the whole "I'm jealous!" part. A 30lb bag of food costs our vet clinic (not the client) about $90.

Return to “Health Issues”