Canidae?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SadieLady
Super Bully

Canidae?

Postby SadieLady » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Hello, I have an almost 7 month old Staffordshire bull terrier pit-bull cross. I really want the best for her and was thinking of switching her from the food we're feeding her at the moment which is Nutro Natural Balance small bites puppy, to Canidae (perhaps all life stages). I was wondering if anyone knew if Canidae was good or not. I am on another forum and have heard many good things about Canidae, but wanted some more input. Thanks.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:40 pm

please get her off that Nutro asap, there was just a recall posted on here about a wek ago, so many dog are stll dying from eating that food.

spammie

Postby spammie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:00 am

Many members here feed Canidae. I used to until the formula changed, and one of my dogs couldn't tolerate it. I switched to Diamond Naturals...about the same price and they do well on it. The naturals line is good, stay away from the rest of their foods.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:13 am

i feed the chicken and rice formula to dogs with allergies and they do well on it. If the store is out i buy the lamb and rice formula. The all life stages formula had some ingredient changes for the worse a few months back. My only gripe with the canidae is that it could have a bit more protein but its not a big deal.

SadieLady
Super Bully

Postby SadieLady » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks everyone. I had NO idea that they had a recall on the food I am feeding her, that really upsets me! I am glad I am going to switch. Maybe should I just get her off the food without a slow transition or should I transition slowly regardless of the recall? This is horrible!

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:21 pm

if she isnt extremely sensitive I'd just make the switch. a little upset stomach is better than a sick or dead dog.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:42 pm

I fed ALS through the switch and will be changing it out after the bags are empty, they did fine on the previous formula but now I am feeding a ton more and they still aren't gaining weight. Not happy with the new formula.

LoveFiona
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby LoveFiona » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:46 pm

I fed Canidae until they changed, now I feed Innova. It's a better value because you feed less, and my girl with the sensitive stomach does much better on it. Good luck choosing!

Erin

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:29 pm

I fed Canidae for years until they made the changes this year. My dogs, like a lot of others, did not do well on the new formula.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:58 pm

My dogs did fine with the changed ingredients.

SadieLady
Super Bully

Postby SadieLady » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks guys. I think for now I will switch her to Canidae because I KNOW it's better than the food I was feeding her. Plus i'm pretty sure it's the best dog food sold around where I live. I think they may sell others at Aldergrove Animal Hospital. I looked online and i'm pretty sure they sell all Natura products. I will take a look there, but for now I will feed Canidae and see how she does on it. She has a pretty tough tummy so I think she'll be okay with the switch.

BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Postby BullyBud » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:01 pm

If that doesnt work, try Taste of the Wild. My dogs were on Canidae for years and got sick on the new formula. They do fine on TOTW and I think its a better food.

originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:37 am

i just persuaded my friend to switch to Canidae for his dog, and she loves it. and you can see the difference in her coat and she is losing weight. getting really lean.

im on TOTW for my pup. and he loves it. almost 14 weeks and he is lookingn real good. coat is real shiney. the only negative thing i can think of is the stinky farts.

Return to “Health Issues”