Feeding Schedule

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Feeding Schedule

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Those of you that feed kibble:

What is your daily feeding schedule? How closely are your feedings followed by a walk and/or exercise? Those of you that crate your dogs while you are at work: do you feed your dogs in the morning? Also does anyone feed only once a day?

Thanks everybody!

spammie

Postby spammie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:24 pm

I feed kibble divided into 2 feedings, around 6am and 6pm. In the am before I leave for work, they play vigorously before breakfast, are toileted, then seperated for the day. When I get home in the afternoon, it's exercising in the yard, a long walk (2-3 miles), then feeding. On the weekends, I wait for an hour after feeding before they do anything strenous.

itsalex
Newborn Bully

Postby itsalex » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:44 pm

i feed mine twice a day about 12 hours apart...7-730ish am and pm

the morning one is right after his morning walk, the evening one is about an hour after his long walk / exercise

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:03 pm

I feed twice a day... the first time is between 5:30 and 6AM, the 2nd is anytime after 6:30PM.

Weekends they are fed a bit later in the AM.

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Oh, and while I have y'alls attention, how many cups of kibble do you feed. I know it will differ from dog to dog and brand to brand, but just curious.

Thanks! :))

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:28 pm

I feed mine twice a day. First at 5:45am and then around 4:45pm. Yes, I feed them before I crate them and head off to work for the day and they are fine. Mine don't get any real exercise before I go to work. In fact, they pretty much know the routine and go out to potty, eat and then go back to sleep because they know I am leaving. I typically don't like for them to eat 30 minutes before or after strenous activity such as long hikes, running, agility, etc, but don't worry too much about walking, sporadic playing around the house.

spammie

Postby spammie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:48 pm

The amount of food varies dog to dog, food type, activity level. It took a bit to find the right amount to maintain a good weight. For us it's 1 1/2 cups am and pm for my girl, and 2 cups am and pm for my male.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 pm

You don't want to give your dog too much exersize right after eating kibble. It can lead to bloat.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:11 am

Leslie H wrote:You don't want to give your dog too much exersize right after eating kibble. It can lead to bloat.

Thank you. Very good point.

My dogs go out in the am before eating around 6:00-6:30 am. One cup of kibble (Healthwise) per dog (45-50lb adults).
Then at night they go out again before their meal at 6:00-6:30 pm. One cup again.
Sometimes they are crated during the day if my bf is working, but the feeding schedule stays the same no matter what.

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks guys. My boy is crated when I got to work and right now he doesn't eat in the morning, but I'd like to try getting him on a morning and afternoon feeding schedule. He's 13 months and we haven't had any potty accidents since he was around 7 months. So I think he may be able to handle a morning feeding. Right now he eats 3 cups of kibble a day so I was thinking to split it in half for morning and afternoon.

This is how our mornings go right now (on workdays M-F). We wake up at 6 AM and head out for the 40 minute brisk walk. Then we come back in and I do my thing in the bathroom (in there for about 10 minutes). When I come out of the bathroom he goes back in his crate while I get dressed and get his stuffed bone ready (another 10 minutes). I'm out of the house by 7:15.

So the question is: do y'all think I can feed him 1 1/2 cups of kibble before our morning walk. It's by no means strenuous, just quick paced. Do y'all think that he'll be okay in his crate for my work day without having to go?

Again, I know this all differs from dog to dog, but I like to hear experienced dog owners' suggestions. :))

Thanks again!

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:39 am

Hannah is not crated during the day anymore since my mum retired! :)) So she gets up with me in the morning and has maybe 1/2 cup, then my mum comes over and Hannah goes back to bed with her...lol. Hannah gets about 1 1/2-2 cups around 530pm when I get home from work. The only time she's crated anymore is if my mum has an errand or an appointment during the day. Same goes for on the weekends for myself.

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 am

Leslie H wrote:You don't want to give your dog too much exersize right after eating kibble. It can lead to bloat.

Not trying to hijack, but is an hour long enough to wait before playing say, flirt pole?

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:42 pm

I imagine, as long as they settled down RIGHT AFTER playing. If they Flirt and are still pretty revved for a half-hour after flirt... you may want to wait.

I feed Cash twice a day- one at 8 am after our mornign walk, and again between 6-9 pm after a walk.

I avoid feeding him directly after he's been stressed (a car ride, lots of visitors) or after a good excursion ( the beach, hiking, a LONG walk)... I'll wait up to a full hour after heavy activity like that to feed him.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:26 pm

spammie wrote:

Not trying to hijack, but is an hour long enough to wait before playing say, flirt pole?

Our vet told us 45 min to an hour after a meal is ok for exercise. Being that Piper went through bowel torsion (same as bloat, but the intestines twisted, not the stomach), I am very cautious.

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:39 pm

kmcamara wrote:Thanks guys. My boy is crated when I got to work and right now he doesn't eat in the morning, but I'd like to try getting him on a morning and afternoon feeding schedule. He's 13 months and we haven't had any potty accidents since he was around 7 months. So I think he may be able to handle a morning feeding. Right now he eats 3 cups of kibble a day so I was thinking to split it in half for morning and afternoon.

This is how our mornings go right now (on workdays M-F). We wake up at 6 AM and head out for the 40 minute brisk walk. Then we come back in and I do my thing in the bathroom (in there for about 10 minutes). When I come out of the bathroom he goes back in his crate while I get dressed and get his stuffed bone ready (another 10 minutes). I'm out of the house by 7:15.

So the question is: do y'all think I can feed him 1 1/2 cups of kibble before our morning walk. It's by no means strenuous, just quick paced. Do y'all think that he'll be okay in his crate for my work day without having to go?

Again, I know this all differs from dog to dog, but I like to hear experienced dog owners' suggestions. :))

Thanks again!

2 things to consider...
1. Feeding only once a day may lead to bloat also, for a few reasons, feeding too much at one time will stretch the stomach making a torsion (twist) more likely, and also they are not meant to eat once a day so his hunger level may make him more likely to over eat if given the opportunity (say finding an open bag of food) which could lead to a food bloat, though not as life threatening, just as costly and uncomfortable for him as a true bloat.

2. Is it at all possible to walk him in the am and then while you are getting ready to leave, that's when you could feed his morning meal?

As far as him being ok all day without using the bathroom that depends on how long your work day is...for example, mine is 12-16 hours, which would never be ok for any dog...but luckily he comes to work with me where he gets walked at least 2 times a shift.

Oh and you asked about how much we feed? JD gets 2 cups twice a day, which when we are exercising enough is fine, and keeps him at a good lean 65 lbs...and when we are avoiding it like now lol keeps him at a slightly less lean 70lbs.

it all depends on age, energy level, and amount of exercise.

Return to “Health Issues”