EVO

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Oneluckygirl
Matured Bully

EVO

Postby Oneluckygirl » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:08 am

Does anyone else here feed their dog that? I just started River on Evo red meat. He has harsh gas..Is his body just getting used to it and he had the runs.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:18 am

What did you switch from and how did you make the switch? Are you using any probiotics?

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:22 am

We use the chicken - just one cup a day when he gets Kibble. I add water and let it sit a few moments. I also use pro-biotics and wet food when he gets it. Hhe has been on it probably close to a year and I don't remember any gas when we switched. Then again, i do a food switch , if it's a kibble, over two weeks. My dogs can not handle the cold turkey switch

kaliya5
Super Bully

Postby kaliya5 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:51 am

If you switch too fast the gas is terrible and diarrhea is also possible. I spent 3 weeks switching my terriers over to EVO, because my bf had been feeding them Royal Canin before I intervened. What food were your dogs on before? I, like akaspaddero, feed the chicken formula. I used to change flavors on them every so often, feeding them the red meat flavor every 3rd bag, but honestly, they got to the point where they didn't like it very much, so now I just stick to chicken.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 am

Hate the stuff... its to rich, too high in calcium and ash. There are much better "grain free" options available that have perfected what EVO started.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:51 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:HThere are much better "grain free" options available that have perfected what EVO started.

Would you name a few please? I would like your opinion..

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:06 pm

It seems like most foods, some dogs do great on it, others seems like runny poop and gas are the main complaints. I've fed it mixed in for a little bit trying to put some weight on my male and he didn't have a problem. My ferrets do great on it but they need the high protein.

Codys_mum
Newborn Bully

Postby Codys_mum » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:30 pm

I tried Cody on it but it's mixed witht he Natures Variety he usually eats, I doubt I'll buy another bag...my ferrets did badly with the evo ferret, so I mixed it with totally ferret and they do okay.

kaliya5
Super Bully

Postby kaliya5 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:52 pm

akaspaddero wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:HThere are much better "grain free" options available that have perfected what EVO started.

Would you name a few please? I would like your opinion..

x2. My dogs are doing well on it, but I am always intersted in options.

kaliya5
Super Bully

Postby kaliya5 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:10 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Hate the stuff... its to rich, too high in calcium and ash. There are much better "grain free" options available that have perfected what EVO started.

Just a question. You say "too high in calcium AND ash" but I thought "ash" was a term used to describe the mineral content in general, including but not limited to calcium, phosphorus, magnesium , potassium, etc. even though most foods also give the breakdown of each mineral as well. Is this correct?

So how much is too much? I compared EVO's calcium and phosphorous content to Wellness Core (a food I considered switching to because of lower ash content) and even though Wellness says it has significantly lower mineral content and touts balance as its key feature, the nutritional analysis percentages of calcium and phosphorous were pretty close together, within 0.5% of each other.

Does the fraction of a % mean much? Maybe with the calcium it does? I know too much calcium and phosphorous can interfere with absorption of other minerals and lead to possible health problems over time but are those levels that different clinically? Are those levels too high? How much is too much and how little is too little and which foods have the best balance?

OT but one of my New Year's Resolutions is to get to the point where I care about my OWN nutrition half as much as I care about my dogs' nutrition. lol Does anyone else have this problem too?

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:11 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Hate the stuff... its to rich, too high in calcium and ash. There are much better "grain free" options available that have perfected what EVO started.

x2

Taste of the Wild and Wellness CORE are the best IMO of the moderate to high protein foods for highly active or working dogs.

Natural Balance Duck/fish/venison and potato varieties are the best if you have a non-active/normally active dog.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:13 pm

kaliya5 wrote:

Just a question. You say "too high in calcium AND ash" but I thought "ash" was a term used to describe the mineral content in general, including but not limited to calcium, phosphorus, magnesium , potassium, etc. even though most foods also give the breakdown of each mineral as well. Is this correct?

So how much is too much? I compared EVO's calcium and phosphorous content to Wellness Core (a food I considered switching to because of lower ash content) and even though Wellness says it has significantly lower mineral content and touts balance as its key feature, the nutritional analysis percentages of calcium and phosphorous were pretty close together, within 0.5% of each other.

Does the fraction of a % mean much? Maybe with the calcium it does? I know too much calcium and phosphorous can interfere with absorption of other minerals and lead to possible health problems over time but are those levels that different clinically? Are those levels too high? How much is too much and how little is too little and which foods have the best balance?

OT but one of my New Year's Resolutions is to get to the point where I care about my OWN nutrition half as much as I care about my dogs' nutrition. lol Does anyone else have this problem too?

Too much ash=more minerals for the kidneys to flush out. That=more water consumption. If you have a dog that doesn't drink more to compensate for the increased mineral content it can cause kidney problems. EVO also has a TON of fat (more than CORE, etc) which coupled with high meat-protein can cause some terrible digestive issues with some dogs---aka swamp-gas. lol

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:15 pm

I wanted to add that you will commonly hear people who feed EVO say it is "normal" for a dog to have a high BUN value (blood urea nitrogen) when on the food. I always laugh at that because it is just proof that it is taxing on the kidneys--whether it causes visible problems or not.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:26 am

jlphilli wrote:

x2

Taste of the Wild and Wellness CORE are the best IMO of the moderate to high protein foods for highly active or working dogs.

Natural Balance Duck/fish/venison and potato varieties are the best if you have a non-active/normally active dog.

Thanks! You beat me to it.

Natural Balance and all the Natura products with the exception of EVO are on my top foods list. I also like Wellness but its pricy in my area, and my favorite store doesn't carry the CORE formula. Blue Buffalo and Purina Pro plan (not grain free) for the moderate budget... Taste of the wild was growing on me but then I moved cross-country and was only able to feed it for a few weeks... so I didn't get to give it the full 12 week evaluation.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:29 am

jlphilli wrote:

x2

What are the ash contents for wellness core and taste of the wild? the websites dont list them.

Return to “Health Issues”