Maddox needs good vibes his way...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
APBTmom
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:30 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Postby APBTmom » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Mind you Maddox is 9 months old...

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:51 pm

When I read your initial diagnosis (Dec 31) without the surgery options I thought "Wow, that sounds just like a foster pup I had whose grown plate closed too soon making one leg shorter than the other." I didn't post at the time because I didn't want to sound like I was trying to diagnose your puppy, ha. Anyway, my foster pup was the exact same thing. The surgeon told me it wasn't an injury, etc.

The $1500-1800 for the surgery sounds cheap to me. I paid $3000 to fix a regular old broken leg in an adult dog and didn't even wait around for an estimate on this dog once I got the diagnosis because I knew it would be more than I could afford for a foster dog. The surgery would have been just what you described with cutting the bone in half, inserting pins and mouting a halo on the outside of the leg. The only difference is that I would have done the lengthening at home on my own by turning the pins 2-3 turns each day. The only thing is that the surgeon wanted to wait until the dog was full grown before performing surgery because if we didn't he would have needed more surgeries as he grew. By waiting until the other growth plates were closed it meant that we would know exactly how long to make the leg the first time around.

I opted for amputation which cost me around $400. Much less recovery time and the pup never knew he was missing a leg because he never used the darn leg anyway! It was just in his way all of the time. All of the 3 legged dogs I've met have never realized they're "disability" and have seemed no worse for the wear. My surgeon told me that even if we'd done the lengthening surgery he never would have been able to do things like sports or heavy exercise. There'd always be arthritis, etc, so I just figured it best to get rid of the leg.

User avatar
APBTmom
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:30 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Postby APBTmom » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks for that. This is a hard choice to make but it makes more sense to me than putting Maddox through all this other crap...

Tula
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: PEI, Canada

Postby Tula » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Agreed; amputation certainly seems like the most sensible choice in this situation! He's still young, like RuffMuttK9z said; he probably won't even miss it!

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

User avatar
bellabear
Forum Junky
Posts: 3562
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: Key Largo, Fl

Postby bellabear » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Aww, poor Maddox. I wish you and him the best of luck. I am so glad that you kept this little guy, you a great parent to him, and maybe he wouldn't have gotten so lucky with somebody else.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:57 pm

I hated that I had to make the choice at all...both options really suck. I'm sorry you have to deal with this :(

User avatar
picara
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2055
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 1:36 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby picara » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:26 am

I'm sending a prayers, hugs, and pets to you and to Maddox!

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Postby pblove » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:33 am

awww I did not see the update here.
I am sorry you have to make such a decision, but will keep him in my prayers and hope he is soon feeling better.

User avatar
Amie
Moderator
Posts: 17463
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:10 pm
Contact:

Postby Amie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:42 am

pblove wrote:awww I did not see the update here.
I am sorry you have to make such a decision, but will keep him in my prayers and hope he is soon feeling better.


x2

:frown:

User avatar
APBTmom
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:30 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Postby APBTmom » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks all.
I went to my vet to really talk about both options. She agreed on not putting him through the lengthening surgery, but gave me more advice on the amputation as well...
She said that with him having a growth deformity we should wait until he's at least a year old before amputating. She wants to manage him until then so we can see if any other limbs may be affected. Also because he's so small (almost 10 months and about 35 lbs.), she thinks we should be careful. She mentioned that should we amputate now, and him have problems in a rear leg too, we could have an issue.

So until March, he's baing managed with Tramadol, Previcox and Glucosamine. :frown:

User avatar
dogs4jen
Forum Junky
Posts: 3610
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:12 am
Location: Traverse City, MI

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:20 am

Oh, poor Maddox, I'm sorry you have to make such a tough decision. :hug:
Jen


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests