Cautions Agaisnt Raw Food diet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:33 am

Here's the key comment in my world... other than BALANCE, not guesswork and laziness (which I see a LOT of in practice).

Further, it should be recommended that raw diets not be fed in households with young children, elderly persons, or immunosuppressed individuals. CVJ

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:13 pm

I like Azmira products lol
I think it's great that there is some research out there now. However, my dogs have been too darn healthy on raw for me to turn back now. My vet has to blow the dust off my file when I go 'cause he never sees us! And this is coming from someone that had a VERY sickly dog (Vicki) that has not been to the vet for anything but regular checkups going on three years now (she'll be 6 this year).

Some dogs do GREAT on kibble, and that's fine for them! Solomon could go either way, he could live off garbage and still be healthy as a horse!

For anyone who's interested, this is what Vicki had the first six months I had her, I got her when she was 12 weeks old. The vet told me to take her home and keep her comfortable, she probably wouldn't live.
Parvo
Giardia
Mange (Demo)
And after the first year:
IBD...bloody stool for almost a year
SEVERE environmental allergies
Vaccinosis
She is the picture of health now. She suffers from very mild allergy flare ups at the beginning of each season, but I get them under control in a week or less now.
The only supplements my dogs get are ACV, some kind of fish oil, and vertex.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:44 pm

concreterose wrote: My vet has to blow the dust off my file when I go 'cause he never sees us!

This is EXACTLY the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The vets assume the dogs on RAW die...LOL.

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jewelsdaddy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 am

Great post concreterose!! I feel the exact same way.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 pm

My dogs won't be going back to kibble either. I'm very happy with their health and condition on raw, and I have never had any diet-related health problems since they've been on raw. Aside from the fact that Tucker is dysplatic and Doc has a heart murmur, they're both in fantastic shape. Reba was too, right up until she died at 16 years old. All three of my dogs' bloodwork has consistently come back normal and healthy. :dunno:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:10 pm

my gsd who has food/airborne allergies has thrived on raw, and her allergies have greatly subsided. they still flare up, but its not all the time anymore..for her raw has worked wonders. rufus too does better on raw, if i give him kibble he gets reoccurring ear infections and his fur gets very flakey . ruby cant have kibble due to her storage mite allergy, and has done very well on raw , even though she is allergic to raw chicken.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 pm

I noticed that all of these kinds of threads wind up being testimonials of people whose dogs have done so well on raw. I DO realize that there are some dogs that do horrible on raw, just as there are dogs that do horrible on kibble.

I think that you get people that have had success with their dogs on raw, really tooting the 'raw horn' because their dogs were doing so very very bad before the change was made, that the benefits were profound.

I would never try to browbeat someone into feeding one certain way, because dogs are different, and just as importantly, so are their owners. But I do think that it's really important to know your dog, learn what makes it thrive, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, if it don't fit, don't force it. :thumbsup:

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:43 pm

concreterose wrote:I would never try to browbeat someone into feeding one certain way, because dogs are different, and just as importantly, so are their owners. But I do think that it's really important to know your dog, learn what makes it thrive, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, if it don't fit, don't force it. :thumbsup:

So, please don't take our comments as critical of what others are doing. I think we all are in agreement of your statement, bolded above. Believe me, Raw isn't the easy route! If you don't have a valid reason and have done the research to do it right, you shouldn't be feeding raw, IMHO.

We are a passionate group precisely because we've had to work so hard in the face of SO MUCH criticism. To have the Vet community and other 'professionals' consistently tell us that we are 'crazy' and killing our dogs/pets is very painful, especially when we can clearly see the difference in our animals' health.

The problem is that many of us exhausted all other options before trying Raw, so when we found the solution we want to (initially) scream from the roof-tops. We don't want others to suffer, the way our pets have in the process of finding a relatively easy solution.

Yes, it is anecdotal evidence, but it is so consistent....Shouldn't this VOLUME of evidence be considered as valid?

Many say "No, it isn't scientific, therefore 'Ya'll are crazy. You must be seeing things that aren't there.'" So can you explain what we are seeing?

Believe me, I'd LOVE to have scientific proof, either way, but that won't happen because there is no FINANCIAL incentive for any industry/group to support that research.

LMW,
(Crazy is one step away from Genius.)

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:59 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:
So, please don't take our comments as critical of what others are doing...

Eggzactly! I really hope that people realize this. I hate for people to think that raw feeders think they are some kind of elitist group (well, there are some people that are, but I haven't seen many on this board) that is ALL right and everyone else is ALL wrong if they don't subscribe to the same set of beliefs. Lord knows we have enough separation in our community to be divided over what we prefer to feed our dogs!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Good posts, concreterose and elemdubya!

I agree with you both!

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:26 pm

BabyReba wrote:Good posts, concreterose and elemdubya!

I agree with you both!

x2

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:45 am

After hearing so much about B.A.R.F/Raw, I am really interested. I want the best for my dog and if this would improve his health in any way I would be all for it! Any tips/pointers on where to start? Is there a certain age at which to start? Thanks!

Emily
Super Bully

Postby Emily » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 am

UnconventionalLove wrote:After hearing so much about B.A.R.F/Raw, I am really interested. I want the best for my dog and if this would improve his health in any way I would be all for it! Any tips/pointers on where to start? Is there a certain age at which to start? Thanks!

There is a sticky at the top of this forum about it but these are good sites as well:
http://leerburg.com/feedingarawdiet.htm
http://rawfed.com/
http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

I immediately started raw with my 8 week old puppy the day she came home. If they're old enough for kibble then they are old enough for real food. ;)

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:00 pm

75% raw meat, 25% raw vegetables But what kinds and amounts of "meat"? How much bone? How much organ, if any at all? This is a glaring omission in any scientific study that wants to be taken seriously.

All animals were given fifteen minutes of exercise and fresh air daily Umm, is it just me or is this a ridiculously small amount of time??

Although Azmira’s pet nutrition formulas have proven to be beneficial in reversing general weakness and improve wellness to help stimulate healing, it is with the addition of Dr. Newman’s daily supplementation that the majority of pets have flourished long term. So, Azmira and Dr. Newman do a study to test their products against other ways of feeding and surprise!!! They win!! Really now! Do they think all dog owners are that naive?? I'd love to see if this has been published in a peer reviewed journal! I suspect not, but then, they are probably counting on their customers to be ignorant of the process a study has to go through before it's considered to be good sound science.

Sorry, I'm just not impressed at all with this "study"!

cmjfriesians
Newborn Bully

Raw study

Postby cmjfriesians » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Has anyone read that Pottenger's cat study? It was a 10 year study on raw food vs. kibble using 900 cats. :) I think that says enough for me.
As far as this study... Anyone who thinks dogs have evolved in a matter of 10 thousand years to have a digestive tract different than that of the carnivorous ancestor they came from, I have to question.
And I agree... they never mentioned what they fed in the raw diet. If they fed only raw muscle meat, with no bone and organ, and no variety in species... yeah, I'm sure the animals wouldn't fare well. duh. If I ate cucumbers every day, I wouldn't fare well either.
I am still waiting for someone to convince me that raw diets are not the way to go. lol

Return to “Health Issues”