i'm freakin out....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

i'm freakin out....

Postby natebritchcock » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:49 pm

my 17 month old pitbull x bull-mastiff was eating purina one, we noticed thinning hair on his back, and pimples on his chin. i've been able to widdle the pimples down to him being allergic to the rubber in his kong toy and also the tire i use for the spring pole. so i switched to a 'premium' food today to see if thats the cause for the thinning hair. the guy i talked to at the store was very knowledgeable, we talked for a good half hour about foods and his opinions were pretty spot on with most folks on the forum. the store carried the full nature's variety line (including raw patties,) core, cannidae, evo, innova, eagle pack, and a few other things. i told him about Wyatts allergies and he recommended california natural. he said it was a good quality non-complex dog food, the fact that it didnt have a billion things in would be helpful in figuring out if the allergies were due to food. i told him that i eventually wanted to go to feeding an all raw, or raw with dry mix. he said raw was the best way to go and there was no substitute for the 'real deal.' i totally put my trust in the dude and his knowledge, so i bought the chicken and rice canadian natural. but when i got home i found a bunch of bad reviews, so now im just stressing that i've made a bad choice for my dog.....if anybody has input i would greatly appreciate it. does cali natural suck, is it going to kill my dog, should i kill the dude who sold it to me, should i shake his hand for selling me good stuff?

...he's a good friend and i just want to be doing good by him...[/img]

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:54 pm

i have fed both canidae and california natural and my dogs have done well on both. i think they liked canidae better though.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:54 pm

I feed California Natural lamb & rice formula. I've done a bit of research and as far as I can tell it's a decent food.

Where have you read bad reviews and what have they said?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:56 pm

I like this site:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

there's many diff. foods and many diff. views on those foods, I'd stick w/cali natural over Purina one.
But then again we feed Kirkland Chicken/rice, which is like Diamond Naturals, it's good quality for the cost, no corn, soy or by products.

We also feed more allergenic dogs Natural Balance. It's a good food as well.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:01 pm

Jazzy wrote:I feed California Natural lamb & rice formula. I've done a bit of research and as far as I can tell it's a decent food.

i just googled 'california natural reviews' and just sorta skimmed over stuff. there was on place in particular

www.rateitall.com/i-27939-californianatural.aspx

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:21 pm

natebritchcock wrote:
Jazzy wrote:I feed California Natural lamb & rice formula. I've done a bit of research and as far as I can tell it's a decent food.

i just googled 'california natural reviews' and just sorta skimmed over stuff. there was on place in particular

www.rateitall.com/i-27939-californianatural.aspx

Interesting. The reviews certainly seem to run the gamut. I have to admit to being a little skeptical of some of the negative reviews. Especially the first 1 which mentioned Innova being part of the 2007 pet food recall due to acetaminophen and cyanuric acid. As far as I remember, the only thing found was melamine and Innova wasn't involved. :dunno:

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:30 pm

yeah, i agree there were plenty of positive reviews.....i'm just pretty doom and gloom i guess. i get it from my grandma

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:06 pm

My cats do well on California Natural.

Jazzy I believe you are right that Innova and California Natural weren't involved in the recalls.

To the OP....If you are concerned about allergies I would go with something limited ingredient food. Natural Balance has a great selection.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:35 am

Maybe you should also see a vet instead of just a petstore clerk...

Thinning hair often means there are severe secondary infections.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 am

he has an appointment in a few days, my concern was just that i had bought a dodgy food that was gonna eat him from the inside out.....

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 am

Food is only harmful if your pup has a TRUE food allergy... only one in 10 allergic dogs fit into this category. From the distribution of hairloss, its much more likely your dog has a flea allergy... but not all dogs follow the rules.

The food you were feeding was OK... but the new food is definitely a better choice!

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:26 pm

BabyReba wrote:i have fed both canidae and california natural and my dogs have done well on both. i think they liked canidae better though.

same with us

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Chase goes nuts over the cali natural herring formula. Canidae made his terribly gassy and when I put it in his bowl, he never wanted to eat it...

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:20 pm

although expensive orijen is a fabulous food tha is grain-free, i recently switched riddick (6.5 months) to the large breed pup formula and he LOVES it

NAILHEAD
Adolescent Bully

Re: i'm freakin out....

Postby NAILHEAD » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:30 pm

natebritchcock wrote:my 17 month old pitbull x bull-mastiff was eating purina one, we noticed thinning hair on his back, and pimples on his chin. i've been able to widdle the pimples down to him being allergic to the rubber in his kong toy and also the tire i use for the spring pole. so i switched to a 'premium' food today to see if thats the cause for the thinning hair. the guy i talked to at the store was very knowledgeable, we talked for a good half hour about foods and his opinions were pretty spot on with most folks on the forum. the store carried the full nature's variety line (including raw patties,) core, cannidae, evo, innova, eagle pack, and a few other things. i told him about Wyatts allergies and he recommended california natural. he said it was a good quality non-complex dog food, the fact that it didnt have a billion things in would be helpful in figuring out if the allergies were due to food. i told him that i eventually wanted to go to feeding an all raw, or raw with dry mix. he said raw was the best way to go and there was no substitute for the 'real deal.' i totally put my trust in the dude and his knowledge, so i bought the chicken and rice canadian natural. but when i got home i found a bunch of bad reviews, so now im just stressing that i've made a bad choice for my dog.....if anybody has input i would greatly appreciate it. does cali natural suck, is it going to kill my dog, should i kill the dude who sold it to me, should i shake his hand for selling me good stuff?

Where are you from? What is the avg temp there? Dry? I have seen when pups get dry skin it's mainly their diet. BUT it can also be a sign of stress. Our newest pup has dry skin from being kept in an outdoor kennel. It's on average 7 - minus 5 here. So a bit cold and dry. Now she is inside and her skin is not flaking as much and I have her on a Salmon and rice or chicken and oats kibble. Some decent tea tree shampoo with a low ph balance is really nice for them as well when you have bath time. Lightly towel dry and keep them warm. Hope this helps.

G

Return to “Health Issues”