Wandering Microchip

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TheBowie
Newborn Bully

Wandering Microchip

Postby TheBowie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Does anyone know if a microchip can migrate to other areas of the body? My little boston mix, Olive Oyl, was laying in my lap the other day and I was stroking the area just above the top of her leg and felt "something". It seems to be about the size of long-grained rice and I can grasp it with my fingers just under the skin but can't move it anywhere (okay, I didn't really try to move it because it kind of squicks me out). If I can remember, I'm going to take her in the next time somebody needs to see the vet and have her scanned to see if it beeps up between her shoulder blades where it's supposed to be or down on her leg.

If it DID move, now I guess I have to get it redone? I mean, if she ever gets lost, who's going to think to scan her leg?

kaliya5
Super Bully

Postby kaliya5 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 pm

Yes, microchips can migrate. My cat's chip has migrated to her upper shoulder, but it is still scanable and shows up accurately. I don't think it would necessarily have to be redone unless it migrated too far, to where someone might not scan.

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:14 pm

When I've seen dogs scanned for microchips the person usually does a quick once over the entire body if it doesn't locate a chip in the normal spots, in case it migrated.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:46 am

Most don't, but they sure can if they decide to!

Best thing to do to make sure it really is the microchip is get a scanner or an x-ray.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:02 pm

LOL Well I was told when it happened to the first one that it wasn't uncommon but also didn't happen often.

Well I now have two others with chips that migrated and those were done by a different vet . So that makes three just at my house. I bet many other owners have dogs with ones that migrated and the owners don't even know.

I'm fanatical about going over every part of them so as soon as it moved I felt it.

I had my one rechipped because it is in front of his leg now by his chest. The other two are still for now in the general area where they should be so I didn't rechip

TheBowie
Newborn Bully

Postby TheBowie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Well, that is just too creepy. :yucky:
Now every time I touch that shoulder I freak out and she looks at me all guilty like "What did I do?!?!"

TigerLady
Adolescent Bully

Postby TigerLady » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Doja's has migrated to her sternum area.
I wonder if the scanning people scan the chest / belly area??? :-/

~Tiger

Return to “Health Issues”