Allergies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Allergies

Postby Otis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:52 pm

woo, been posting here a lot lately.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in compiling a big thread of your own experiences with your dogs allergies, and what you do to relieve them, as this is a pretty common problem with our dogs. What were your dogs symptoms, or, the allergy and what have you down to elevate them?

Currently Ashes has hair loss, foot chewing, body chewing, a horrible ear infection that led to a crop (bad in one ear only?), scooting, and general itchiness. Changing food has had no significant relief. She is currently on ear drops and an anti-histamine. The anti-histamine has provided some relief, but she has not re-grown any hair and she still chews on herself. She did not seem to have any of these problems before I brought her from Atlanta to Baltimore. She had a thick healthy coat, did not scoot and did not chew. Anal gland expression cut back on the scooting, but did not erase it. I do not use chemical cleaning products. The house she came from was most likely just as dusty, if it is an environmental allergy, and she was fed crappy food. We have lived in three different houses with no real change. She does not spend a very significant amount of time on grass. Has anyone been through something similar?

I'm not looking for ideas on my own dog, as well as your dog's problems and cures.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:17 pm

i swear i'm not following you around -

we have 2 allergic dogs. sicily is mainly related to food and wednesday is allergic to more things than she is not. we have done prescription diet, malaseb wipes, malaseb shampoo, steroids (prednisone), immunotherapy shots and currently atopica. theres a lot of other threads in here about allergies. i know allie has had some tough ones.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Has it been affective?

Seems as though we have some similar problems! lol

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:29 pm

to really get to the root of an allergy issue there really is no getting around allergy testing. intradermal testing is the gold standard, but pricey. blood tests can give you a good idea of what ashes is allergic to and are much cheaper.

like mike said, wednesday is allergic to more things than she's not so in the past 2 years i've had to learn a lot about allergies. some helpful hints:

-stick to simple foods. this applies to food allergy dogs as well as environmental allergy dogs since they generally have some food allergies as well.
-keep your dry kibble in an air tight container. allergies to storage mites are common and this helps cut down on the amount of mites. remember to wash out your bin in between bags.
-bathe your dog regularly and baby wipe in between bathes to remove allergens on the skin.
-watch out for the table scraps and treats!

good luck!

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:32 pm

^that was aurora posting as me!

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:40 pm

Now that I have arrived in North Carolina with Horace and his hives, I think we'll be visiting the NC State Veterinary School allergy/dermatitis clinic. They said I can expect to spend about 300-500 dollars finding out what Horace is allergic to and getting him treated.

So right now I'm just waiting out the latest chicken exposure (which happened when the friend who helped me move put a dish of cat food in Horace's reach last Friday) and hoping things clear up after that. I have some prednisone and benadryl to help us through. The person on the phone at the allergy clinic told me that sometimes prednisone is the only thing that will 'break the cycle' of allergic response.

:frown:

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Oscar used to get frequent ear infections, and his ears were ALWAYS coated in a very thick, black wax. Antibiotics would clear up things very briefly, and the problems would always come right back. He is now terrified of small dropper bottles from all the times we had to give him ear drops that he hated in his tender ears.

Then I read (sometime last year) that beef allergies are among the most common in dogs, and that one of the signs is black wax. I took beef out of his diet entirely, and his ears cleared up in something like 48 hours, on their own. It was very fast, and very dramatic. Now the only time they need cleaning is when he's had beef (sometimes some sneaks in as a tertiary ingredient in his training treats).

I've never had him officially tested, so I can't say 100% that he's allergic to beef and that was the cause of his ear problems. But I can say it's one hell of a coincidence if there's no correlation.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:42 pm

I think Pollyanna is about to get tested. On top of allergies she had a major yeast infection for a while. She was on a zillion kinds of medicine and got off of it on Sunday. Today I just saw that she has big bloody scratch on her neck.

Before, she was scratching armpits, chest, ears and chewing on her butt and toes. So far it's just the neck this time. I feed her raw and I've been trying to feed only one thing like ME did with Ruby. Right now it's just chicken. I'm going to watch her a couple of days and see if she starts scratching other things or if the neck was an isolated incident.

Good luck with Ashes.

track7studios
Newborn Bully

Postby track7studios » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:32 pm

i have the same problem for the lsat 6 months..Diesel has been scratching his armpits, chest, neck and muzzle...to the point of bleeding and scabbing! He is eating Eagle Pack Holistic select, which is a pretty high quality kibble from what ive read...

its really frustrating! is it a yeast problem? is it an allergy problem? I bathe him once a week with VET Medical Solutions Shampoo, which is oatmeal based...and is safe for routine, weekly uses..its a anibacterial, antifungal shampoo...

ive recently started reading into NuVet suppliments...and i may try that...the vet reccomended Prednisone (steroids) but want to hold that off as i may be able to find a more natural solution.suppliment..

good luck with your dogs..if anyone knows something that could help out, let me know! thanks..

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 pm

prednisone give some dogs relief. it really isnt a long term solution or something you want to be giving your dog constantly. not the healthiest for the liver and can cause other side effects - behaviorally, etc.

we just started atopica for the really allergic dog we have and it seems to be working ok 2 weeks in. theres an atopica thread in this subforum.

there are lots of other things you can do to make allergies more bearable for the dog - depending of course on what he is allergic to. i'd start with the food, either try different foods yourself (a single protein food - canidae chicken and rice or lamb and rice) or you could ask the vet to give you some hill's science diet z/d which is a completely hypoallergenic food.

washing his bedding often may help and wiping him down with baby wipes once a day could too. a vacuum cleaner with a hepa filter is a good investment too as is one of those dust covers for your mattress (if he sleeps in your bed).

these things are just the tip of the iceberg though, its a constant battle and a lot of trial and error.

best of luck!

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Veronica was allergy tested in November and we started injections.

She gets awful hives July - early November.

We won't know how effective the shots are until this summer...

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Jazzy wrote:Veronica was allergy tested in November and we started injections.

What did they determine that she was allergic to?

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:49 am

Beowulf wrote:
Jazzy wrote:Veronica was allergy tested in November and we started injections.

What did they determine that she was allergic to?

She is being desentsitized to 10 allergens:
1. Lamb's Quarter (weed pollen)
2. Pine mix
3. Cedar/Juniper (both tree/shrub pollens)
4. alternaria tenuis
5. aspergillus fumigatus
6. fusarium mix (all listed under "molds, smuts, rusts")
7. Black ants
8. house dust
9. D. Farinae (dust mite)
10. D. Pteronyssinus (another house dust mite)

And I swear really, really my house is NOT dusty. :frown:

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:58 am

I just posted a topic about my dogs allergies without even seeing this...

Dolly is allergic to FLEAS... Those stupid little jumpy biting evil bugs that crawl out of every crack and crevice on the planet and seem to love my animals... As I've just determined this today, (prior thought was that it was a food allergy) on my way home I'll be picking up some advantage, and I'm hoping that my other topic will help me gain ideas on how to rid my house of these Satan bugs.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Deago, our boxer is allergic to every kibble out there. He would get big herpie like open sores on his chin, lips, and neck. We switched to the raw diet and BAM... nuthin. He cleared up and is doing FANTASTIC.

Return to “Health Issues”