Switching from Raw to Kibble - What kibble do you feed?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Switching from Raw to Kibble - What kibble do you feed?

Postby Angela Adams » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:02 am

I'm thinking about switching all the dogs from raw back to kibble, but I'm really nervous that their stomachs won't adjust back to kibble. They have not touched kibble in over a year. I'm also scared that they will have constant diarrhea like before, when they were on kibble. My dogs have never done well on any kind of kibble, that's why I switched to raw and they have done super on raw, but right now, the raw diet for 7 dogs is just costing me just too much money right now because work is very slow.
I used to feed the dogs California Natural, then later switched to grain free EVO. The dogs had the runs on both kibbles.

What kibble do you feed?

originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:38 am

you should try Taste of the Wild. my pup is on it right now and he loves it. its kinda pricey but not really imo. its worth it. stool is solid and doesnt really stink.

blazinZ
Newborn Bully

Postby blazinZ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:51 pm

where were you getting your meats from..? i know it can be expensive, co-op's help a lot. being able to buy in bulk.

ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby ams036 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:52 pm

I feed Solid Gold Wolf King and my dogs love it. It is a grain free food my dogs are 14, 12 and 1 1/2 and they all have shiny coats and firm stools. I pay 55.00 with tax for a 33lb bag, feed a total of 4 cups a day and it lasts about a month and a half. It is not a very advertised or talked about brand but I have had excellent experience with it! :))

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:40 pm

I have just switched mine to natures recipe it's grain free and no by products they like it alot!!!!!

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 pm

originalg00kster wrote:you should try Taste of the Wild. my pup is on it right now and he loves it. its kinda pricey but not really imo. its worth it. stool is solid and doesnt really stink.

Angela,
Zila was on Taste of the Wild for 10 days while we were gone and she had HORRIBLE gas and diahrea (sp?) She loved it though. gorged actually. LOL Both dogs here are on raw. The gal that had Zee feeds the salmon one, her dogs look great. We had the dogs on Evo but Deago still had reactions. Have you tried CL or Freecycle? Do you have any friends that hunt that would be willing to give you the stuff they don't use? We have a friend that is an avid hunter and he just grinds up the dregs he doesn't use and gives that to us. Right before we went on vacation he have us 200lbs of ground elk meat and organs, we just add bone........ chickenback and such.....

Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Angela Adams » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:57 pm

rambler72 wrote:
originalg00kster wrote:you should try Taste of the Wild. my pup is on it right now and he loves it. its kinda pricey but not really imo. its worth it. stool is solid and doesnt really stink.

Angela,
Zila was on Taste of the Wild for 10 days while we were gone and she had HORRIBLE gas and diahrea (sp?) She loved it though. gorged actually. LOL Both dogs here are on raw. The gal that had Zee feeds the salmon one, her dogs look great. We had the dogs on Evo but Deago still had reactions. Have you tried CL or Freecycle? Do you have any friends that hunt that would be willing to give you the stuff they don't use? We have a friend that is an avid hunter and he just grinds up the dregs he doesn't use and gives that to us. Right before we went on vacation he have us 200lbs of ground elk meat and organs, we just add bone........ chickenback and such.....

Wow! 200lbs. That is sooooo awesome! I don't have any friends that hunt :( I need more friends. lol I have tried CL's. no luck.

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:27 am

i feed orijen...never had more compliments then the ones i getabout how great my dog looks. owe it to orijen haha

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:34 am

Evo is quite rich. It doesn't surprise me that your dogs got diarrhea.
Don't forget Natural Balance is grain fee too - uses potatoes and sweet potatoes instead of grains.
We feed Kirkland Chicken/rice (or NB for allergies) and nobody gets the runs on it.
Solid Gold had some issues recently, you might want to research that.
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby ams036 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:08 pm

msvette2u wrote:Evo is quite rich. It doesn't surprise me that your dogs got diarrhea.
Don't forget Natural Balance is grain fee too - uses potatoes and sweet potatoes instead of grains.
We feed Kirkland Chicken/rice (or NB for allergies) and nobody gets the runs on it.
Solid Gold had some issues recently, you might want to research that.
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

I appreciate the link thank you! My dogs don't get any wet food though and it appears it was just a bad batch of wet food.

Midnight Sun APBT
Matured Bully

Postby Midnight Sun APBT » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:14 pm

rambler72 wrote:

Angela,

The fact that she was gorging herself is PROBABLY the reason she had such horrible gas and Diareah.......
When feeding a grain free formula that is high protien with decent fat... if you feed TOO MUCH you will get gas and loose stools.... there simply isn't enough fiber in the food to retain firm stools and over feed. If you have this problem on any food like TOTW, Evo, Solid Gold... ect... cut back on the amount fed, or split the meals. should fix the problem

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:26 am

Leeloo has IBD and is doing awesome on Addiction's Vive Le Venison, a hypoallergenic Venison and Potato formula.

Just Venison, fruit and Veg and potato. They use chicken fat but with the protein removed.

SupriseInside
Bully Ambassador

Postby SupriseInside » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:26 am

ams036 wrote:I feed Solid Gold Wolf King and my dogs love it. It is a grain free food my dogs are 14, 12 and 1 1/2 and they all have shiny coats and firm stools. I pay 55.00 with tax for a 33lb bag, feed a total of 4 cups a day and it lasts about a month and a half. It is not a very advertised or talked about brand but I have had excellent experience with it! :))

4 cups a day?!?! For 3 dogs?!?!
Where can I buy this food??
Cooper, alone, eats approx. 6 cups of feed a day.

Bulldaddy
Matured Bully

Postby Bulldaddy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Blue Buffalo

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:41 pm

My dog is on EVO still mixing the rest of her old food in with the new. Not had any problems. But if your dogs are than I guess you should shop around.

Return to “Health Issues”