Neutered at 7 weeks old?!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Neutered at 7 weeks old?!

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:46 pm

My boy Saint's history:

I was in contact with a women from a pit bull rescue in a nearby city and told her I was looking to adopt a young male. She told me she had just gotten a 5 month old male who was "returned by his previous owner because he lost his job". The rescue at the time had the mother dog whom they found on the streets very pregnant. She has 11 pups, Saint was the biggest and adopted out first, to this guy who "lost his job". (When I got Saint he had scars all over the back of his legs and was scared to death of EVERYTHING.)

I rescued Saint at 5 months old and he was already neutered. I thought this was odd because I'd assumed this was supposed to be done a little later in the dogs life.

Well about 30 minutes ago I puled out Saint's original vaccination record and vet history that I was given when I adopted him. On the paper it states his birth date November 23rd 2007, which I knew. What I had never noticed before is that he was neutered on February 2nd 2008.

That's 7 weeks old! Is this normal? It doesn't seem that way to me! I guess the rescue wanted to get his fixed before giving him to the first a-hole who took him?

Anybody had comments on this? Was it done too early? What could be the side effects of this? (He is pretty tall.)

bullydogla
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bullydogla » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:59 pm

I feel most spay/neuters are done way too young. I personally would wait 1 year, those hormones are vital for development. Also no benefit to early desexing.

Somewhere someone posted a study by a vet researcher that listed the actual benefits and such to waiting.

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:02 pm

I know, I feel bad for Saint that they did this so early. I didn't even realize that a vet would do the procedure at that age.

I'm wondering if this will cause any issues later in his life?

I get mad thinking about Saint's life before I got him, seems like he went through hell and back before 5 months of age. :frown:

bullydogla
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bullydogla » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Nah, he will be just fine. Are you going to the art sale this weekend?

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:06 pm

I have heard of s/n done as early as 8 weeks of age.

Also no benefit to early desexing.

There is if you are a reputable rescue adopting out puppies.

bullydogla
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bullydogla » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:08 pm

ilikelily wrote:I have heard of s/n done as early as 8 weeks of age.

Also no benefit to early desexing.

There is if you are a reputable rescue adopting out puppies.

I think we are talking about physical benefits, not the ability to adopt out dogs and rescue others

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Many shelters and rescues will do pediatric spay/neuters. If you have a young, intact animal, should you do them that young? Possibly not. But it makes a lot of sense on the grand scale, when looking at the huge problems facing domestic companion animals in relation to overpopulation/homelessness.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:19 pm

i personally wouldnt do a s/n that young but i'd never knock somebody else for it. perfectly acceptable for many rescue orgs/shelters.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Yep our pups are done at 8 weeks/2lbs.
Normal for rescues to do this.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:23 pm

yup
Sadly this is a growing neccessity. Alot of dogs "promised" to be speutered when adopting out puppies have a "Whoops" litter before they are fixed.
So in the rescue enviroment this is more and more common in trying to battle the over population.

I have very mixed feelings on it, but see first hand the WHY.

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:55 pm

meginok wrote:Many shelters and rescues will do pediatric spay/neuters. If you have a young, intact animal, should you do them that young? Possibly not. But it makes a lot of sense on the grand scale, when looking at the huge problems facing domestic companion animals in relation to overpopulation/homelessness.

I wonder how many adopters you lose when they find out the 7-8 week old pup has already been neutered....

I have a real problem with it myself....it just seems like a further distancing of ourselves from "dogginess" and respect for animals and what they are...it seems anymore dogs are just "items" that have to fit into to our life and lifestyles no matter what...they just can't be DOGS anymore....

To the OP, your pup may very well grow to be quite tall as early removal of the sex hormone keeps the growth plates from closing at the usual age...

Carla

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:54 pm

I wonder how many adopters you lose when they find out the 7-8 week old pup has already been neutered....

probably not very many as most pet adopters are not even aware of any negative issues from early speuter, nor do they care for the most part.(or they feel the benefits outweighs the risks?)
The Baltimore SPCA does/did spays and neuters at 6 weeks old, even before these pups have homes lined up.(well they did when I was last there about 5 years ago that is)
I was going to adopt a pit bull puppy from them , she had been spayed at 6 weeks, I passed because of it. I asked since they were spending the money to do all these speuters, would it ensure they were kept until adopted? The answer was NO, which made no sense to me. Why speuter these pups then euth them when their time ran out, that is a lot of wasted money imho.
They could not understand why I did not want to adopt a puppy that had been spayed at 6 weeks old!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:00 pm

forgot to add to this

I have a real problem with it myself....it just seems like a further distancing of ourselves from "dogginess" and respect for animals and what they are...it seems anymore dogs are just "items" that have to fit into to our life and lifestyles no matter what...they just can't be DOGS anymore....

that is jsut it, if the dog doesn't fit into their adopted owners lifestyle (ie ifif the dog later has issues from the early speuter) then they will probably return it, euth it and get another dog, no big deal right! :crybaby:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Carla wrote:

To the OP, your pup may very well grow to be quite tall as early removal of the sex hormone keeps the growth plates from closing at the usual age...

Carla

:goodpost: 7 weeks old is way too young to be fixed. It is not giving a dog a chance to mature at all!

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 pm

bullydogla wrote:Nah, he will be just fine. Are you going to the art sale this weekend?

Yea I'll be there, hopefully walking around with Foxy trying to find her a home. She's the gorgeous stray dog that followed me home right before Thanksgiving, that I couldn't keep. :frown: Go check her out: http://www.sulafoundation.org

Anyway. I guess I can see how some rescue organizations can be pressured into getting the dogs fixed so early. I was just in shock when I figured out how early they neutered Saint. I had no idea a vet would agree to go through with the procedure at that age.

Something still seems wrong about it to me though . . . maybe it's just because it's my dog, and I feel bad for him? Not that he knows. Hm, I don't know.

I have heard people say that a dog fixed early will be taller and/or lankier. I really don't have a problem with it considering I knew I was rescuing a possible mix. (The rescue thinks the dad could have been American Bulldog, just by looking at the pups.) My main concern is the possibility of an increased risk for health complications.

Hm, I could be overanalyzing the entire situation.

Return to “Health Issues”