why is he losing hair?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:36 am

UnconventionalLove wrote:I dont mean to jack the thread, but if a dog had dermodex at one point, does that mean they are suseptable to it forever? It could reoccur at any time?

the short answer is yes

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:35 am

mydogroxy wrote:no one has any ideas? he has demodex mange. we just got back from boston yesterday and his hair loss is really noticeable now. i know stress can bring on mange, but nothing in his life has changed. ideas?

Are you 100% SURE there are ZERO intact females within 2 miles of you? If not, you have an intact dog who will be frustrated if he cannot go find them.

Neuter him, start ivermectin therapy and have your vet check for secondary infections.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:39 am

MikeZev wrote:
UnconventionalLove wrote:I dont mean to jack the thread, but if a dog had dermodex at one point, does that mean they are suseptable to it forever? It could reoccur at any time?

the short answer is yes

Demodex is not an infection... it is an inherited immune compromise that makes them unable to keep the mange mite population down. EVERY dog has demodex, only dogs with inhereted immune compromise have demodectic mange.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
mydogroxy wrote:no one has any ideas? he has demodex mange. we just got back from boston yesterday and his hair loss is really noticeable now. i know stress can bring on mange, but nothing in his life has changed. ideas?

Are you 100% SURE there are ZERO intact females within 2 miles of you? If not, you have an intact dog who will be frustrated if he cannot go find them.

Neuter him, start ivermectin therapy and have your vet check for secondary infections.

no. we live in an urban, very dog friendly environment. there are dogs everywhere, so who knows if there's a female around. i have been thinking that neutering him might just be the way to go.

he's already on ivermectin and has been treated for secondary skin infections (has no current infections).

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:52 am

yeah considering that we live a mile away from midtown manhattan, i'm betting its safe to say theres a bitch in heat somewhere. not a lot of dogs outside where we are though especially with the weather lately (cold/snow).

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:04 pm

mydogroxy wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:

he's already on ivermectin and has been treated for secondary skin infections (has no current infections).

How often is he getting ivermectin? Daily, weekly???

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:21 pm

he is getting a hair over .5cc daily - he is a little over 50lbs

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:30 pm

MikeZev wrote:he is getting a hair over .5cc daily - he is a little over 50lbs

Are you doing this treatment under vet supervision? If you're using 1% ivermectin this is a little over half the dose I would use... slowly increasing the dose and watching carefully for signs of toxicity.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:04 pm

yes, this is under a veternarian's supervision. this is the dosage the shelter veterinarian prescribed him when he first arrived at the shelter. he improved by leaps and bounds and is only now backsliding.

i will check what the % is on our bottle.

NueBlue
Newborn Bully

Postby NueBlue » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:40 pm

maybe a stupid question but what dog food are you feeding. I only ask as I was feeding Diamond Ath. and my dog developed small dead spots of hair loss. maybe the size of a dime. I switched back to her original dog food, Solid Gold, and the hair has grown back.

What about shampoo?

are you using anything with Oatmeal in it, i here that helps.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:59 pm

woodstock the dog has alot of mange, not just a few spots.. neem oil works great on just small spots,but for a dog like Fudgie who lost alot of fur the ivermectin and other treatments they are giving is what is working the best..

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:55 am

Do another skin scrape?

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:55 am

Whoops. I mean to say and also check for secondary bacterial infection. It usually goes along with demodex and causes the itchiness.

Return to “Health Issues”