I need a good, cheap dog food.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Bosses Dad
Pit Bull Forum Addict

I need a good, cheap dog food.

Postby Bosses Dad » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Money is getting tight. Any ideas about a good, cheao dig food? I'd prefer one with high meat contant and no corn.
Is Diamond still a good dog food?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Diamond Naturals is, not plain Diamond.

Kirkland Signature (from costco) is what we use.

Maxximum is lower end and has corn gluten meal, is a little more expensive than the others but you can easily find it at walmart.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Another Kirkland feeder here. If you're going to go with Diamond, only use the Naturals line.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:32 pm

what about Maxximum Nutrition it's at wal-mart, not the best thing in the world, but I don't think it's the worst..it's cost effective. The last time I was at walmart, and browsing the pet section it was less than $20.00 for a large size bag. You could also go to your local feed store, and find out about the bags that are going out of date or damaged, maybe you can purchase them at a discount price. That's what I do. It works out nice.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:34 pm

oh duh..didn't see that msvette wrote that...well, forget the first part, lol, and just read the next part..lol.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:02 pm

hey Bosses Dad good to see you.
Need to post one of those Boss adventure stories soon.(pretty please?)

True_Pits
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby True_Pits » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:16 am

If that is what you're interested in I'd say Diamond makes several decent foods Premium Edge, Chicken Soup and has a Naturals line.

TigerLady
Adolescent Bully

Postby TigerLady » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Another less expensive dog food in the 3 star range (per dog food analysis) is Strongpoint. http://www.strongpointfoods.com/

Readily available at many feed stores, it is in the same mid-range as Diamond Naturals, Kirkland, and Maxximum, and they have several formulas that are corn free.

The feedstore down the road from my house carries it for about $25 for 40lbs bag. That makes it $5 less per bag than the Diamond Naturals that he also carries.

Now, I cannot tell you any anecdotes about how well my dogs do on this because I do not feed it to them. But I *was* looking at it with an eye towards purchasing some of it for our club show in April (for the raffles).

~Tiger

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:31 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:what about Maxximum Nutrition it's at wal-mart, not the best thing in the world, but I don't think it's the worst..it's cost effective. The last time I was at walmart, and browsing the pet section it was less than $20.00 for a large size bag.

***One of my dogs does better on Maxximum Nutrition adult (the chicken based one) from Wal Mart than any other food I've tried, but sadly, all my local WalMarts quit carrying it recently. I guess they just didn't sell a high enough volume. If you can still find it, it seems to be a pretty good food with decent ingredients and sufficient fat and protein so you don't need to feed a ton of it.

True_Pits
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby True_Pits » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 am

Yeah ours stopped carrying it too.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:41 am

So dis ours. I wonder if they all quit carrying it.

Bosses Dad
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Bosses Dad » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:01 am

Got a bag of Diamond Chicken and Rice Natural from the local feedstrore. Boss likes it.

NueBlue
Newborn Bully

Postby NueBlue » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 pm

diamonds is good for the buck but keep a close eye for any allergic reation. Our pup went through a bag of Diamond, ath. formula and we quickly discovered she had two lil dead spots on the body. Also on her belly she kept little red spots. I had to use ointment and it soon went away but would re occur with the next feeding or so. My dogs mom was allergic to Diamond also.
Since, i have fed 100% Solid Gold. no ill effects, coat is nice, dead spots has grown back fully, and no bumps on her tummy. SG is very pricey but I get good results so for the moment we are sticking with it.

I looked for something comparable with ingredients but after long reveiws of other dog foods we where still facing a 50 dollar receipt for good dog food.

At this point i just bit the bullet, and keep with the SG.

HTH

NAILHEAD
Adolescent Bully

Re: I need a good, cheap dog food.

Postby NAILHEAD » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm

Bosses Dad wrote:Money is getting tight. Any ideas about a good, cheao dig food? I'd prefer one with high meat contant and no corn.
Is Diamond still a good dog food?

Once you find your cheap dog food or decide, think about going to the butchers and see if they have any shank bones. They are normally pretty cheap. This is a good source of nutrients for your pup as well. you can give them to your pup raw or cooked.

Hope you get situated

G

Return to “Health Issues”