Dog food question(runny poop and bad gas!)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog food question(runny poop and bad gas!)

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:19 am

So, with our dogs over about a 4 year period we have experimented with different foods to see which ones worked the best for our dogs.

So, at first we fed our dogs Kibbles and bits or Ol' roy! (YUCK! I still can not believe we fed them that) That made almost all my dachshund Charlotte's hair fall out and it was just not very healthy.

Then, we fed them Beneful: Healthy Radiance(still can't believe we fed them that either) Which it did make their coats shiny but all the fillers made them fat.

Then, we fed them The Goodlife Recipe( a little better but, still yuck) which actually worked really well and their coats were nice and shiny and they looked healthy.

Then, Chicken Soup for the Dog's lover Soul(we decided to research more about dog foods and got this because it a really good dog food) It made our dogs skin and coat look great and they were overall pretty healthy except the poop and the gas. They had runny poop and really really bad gas!! I think it was too rich for them.

So, before this, our dogs were at a good, healthy weight and they were not overweight. Then, we switched them to the dog food my Grandparents' feed their dogs which I still can not believe we fed them that either. But, we were just experimenting with different dog foods. It is called Retriever Mini Chunks dog food. It made our dogs really fat and their coats were not that shiny but, they had firm poops on that dog food.

And then, now we are feeding them Diamond Naturals: Chicken and Rice.
Which, they are doing pretty well on and their coats and skin look pretty good(but not as good as when they were on Chicken Soup). But, they have runny poop and horrible gas on this food too.

So, my question, what food do you guys feed that does not make your dogs gassy or have runny poops and is also, really good for their skin and coat?? Or what food would you recommend?? Also, it can not be too expensive.

And what I mean by runny poop I am meaning soft-served ice cream looking poops.

Thanks!
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:22 am

My dogs eat Kirkland Signature Chicken/rice and they don't have runny poo or gas.
How much do they eat on that diet? It seems odd ALL of them should be sick.
Out of our 7, 1 has allergies and cannot tolerate it, she didn't have runny poo but did have gas AND her skin itched.
She's much better on Natural Balance and seemed to be allergic to the chicken/rice.
Have you tried the Lamb/rice? Do you give some yogurt to them?
msvette2u

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:35 am

msvette2u wrote:My dogs eat Kirkland Signature Chicken/rice and they don't have runny poo or gas.
Out of our 7, 1 has allergies and cannot tolerate it, she didn't have runny poo but did have gas AND her skin itched.
She's much better on Natural Balance and seemed to be allergic to the chicken/rice.

Dachshunds: 1/2 cup for Lucy, Buddy, Beau and Charlotte. Then, River and Gracie get 1 cup because they are bigger dachshunds(Standards).
Chops: about 1 cup a day
Mya: 2 cups a day
Tank: 1 and half cups a day

Buddy is the only one that has firm poops on Diamond Naturals: Chicken and Rice.

We tried the Lamb/rice once when they did not have Chicken/Rice. We may try the Lamb and Rice since that is suppose to be easier on the stomach. nope, we have never mixed in yogurt with their food but, my sister does that will her two dachshunds that are on the same food we are feeding our dogs and they do not have runny poop.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby spammie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Did you transition over to the new food slowly, like over a period of 10 days or so?
Anytime I didn't go slowly, they had the splarts.
spammie
Regulator

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:16 pm

spammie wrote:Did you transition over to the new food slowly, like over a period of 10 days or so?
Anytime I didn't go slowly, they had the splarts.

They have been on Diamond Naturals for about 4-5 months now and a few weeks ago they started having bad gas and runny poop. We thought, they had just an upset tummy and gave them some medicine but, they still have bad gas and runny poop.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 pm

After we are almost done with this bag of Chicken and Rice, we are going to slowly transfer them over to the Lamb and rice formula and also, add a little yogurt into their food, and see if in a week or two after that, if they get better.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:14 pm

I also feed Kirkland Chicken & Rice which isn't all that different than the Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice. BUT, I had tried the DN prior to the Kirkland and it gave all of my dogs runny poop as well. The Kirkland, for some reason, does not.
RuffMuttK9z

Postby Allie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:22 pm

Oy! I had a HORRIBLE time trying to transition from Canidae to Kirkland's. I ended up having to give the bag away, the diarrhea was so bad.
I wonder if in your case with the DN, it could be a bad bag...? I mean, if they've been on it with no problems for months. (I might not be understanding right though)

When we switched the dogs from Canidae to Healthwise, we switched gradually over about 2 weeks. They had some pretty nasty gas for the first 2-3 weeks, where I thought maybe the food wasn't going to work out. It did, though! :)) They do just great on it now... no gas or soft poo. It is the chicken/oatmeal formula.
Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:00 pm

You know, I never thought about a bad bag. We just got a new bag of DN Chicken and Rice yesterday so, I guess we will see if may be the last bag was just a bad bag of food. We need to get some yogurt for them too because that probably will help. And if not, we probably will slowly switch them over to lamb/rice and see if after a few weeks it gets better.

Thanks!
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 pm

What works for one dog may not work for all. Blue Buffalo gave my pup soft stools, but Chicken Soup has worked wonderfully well for her.
Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Sarah » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Diamond and Chicken Soup are the same manufacturer, so it's not too surprising that if one didn't agree with your dogs, neither would. You could try the Kirkland.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby molucass » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:31 am

All of my dogs are on Diamond Naturals. Alize' has bad gas, but doesn't have the soft stools... Our chihuahua is on the small breed version and doesn't have either one..
The puppy has had some soft stools, but my mom has been feeding him for me, and I think he's been eating some of her adult dog food...
molucass
Forum Junky

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:57 am

mcrslipknota7x wrote:
msvette2u wrote:My dogs eat Kirkland Signature Chicken/rice and they don't have runny poo or gas.

Dachshunds: 1/2 cup for Lucy, Buddy, Beau and Charlotte. Then, River and Gracie get 1 cup because they are bigger dachshunds(Standards).

Our Doxies get about 1 cup per day split into two meals.
When was the last time you dewormed everyone?
Take a stool sample in to your vet.
Chances are, with all the dogs you have there, you have coccidia or giarda.
msvette2u

Postby pitbullmommy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:00 am

I think it has a lot to do with the dogs. It also matters if they overeat. My dogs have had their runny poops when they eat too much of the kibble. For some reason, the crappy foods never gave them soft stools no matter how much they ate (fed pedigree at the beginning too, long time ago). It seems better food, more nutrients, and too much of it equals runny poops. Try giving them a little less, it might do the trick.

I also believe it has to do with individuals dogs. My sis's EB puppy is on Innova puppy food, and since the beginning, she has had soft, ice cream looking poop. Our new puppy is also on the same food, and he poops solid. He only had diarrhea when he was dewormed, and the day he overate also. As long as I keep with the correct amount, he poops solid. However, the EB has never truly pooped as solid. I dunno, different dogs, different digestive systems. As long as they are healthy, and thriving.

Brenda
pitbullmommy
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:23 am

msvette2u wrote:
mcrslipknota7x wrote:

Our Doxies get about 1 cup per day split into two meals.
When was the last time you dewormed everyone?
Take a stool sample in to your vet.
Chances are, with all the dogs you have there, you have coccidia or giarda.

They were wormed not to long ago and they had tapeworm medicine not to long ago.

They also all got Strongid and Pancur just in case they had anything.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues