She doesn't like her food.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
cbr117
Newborn Bully

She doesn't like her food.

Postby cbr117 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:38 pm

I am feeding my girl Blue Buffalo but she has gotten pickier and pickier with it. She basically has to be enticed to eat by adding something, or just waiting it out until she is real real hungry. I have been feeding her Blue Buffalo for a year perhaps? Her poops have been erratic, sometimes solid sometimes pretty liquid. Shes is 19 months old now. Should I switch to a different food, which would 1. change the flavor and 2. maybe make her poops more solid? Thanks!

P.S. What would you recommend? I was thinking Science Diet perhaps? I don't know...

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:07 pm

I feed Taste of the Wild, and my dogs that do eat kibble have done extremely well on it. They make three different formulas, and I haven't had any issues with any of them, the nice thing is you can rotate the formulas. I also, like Merrick, my pup is eating that now.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:24 pm

I'd recommend getting the dog dewormed, if she does okay and other times she doesn't.
When was the last time she saw a vet? A fecal float may be in order.

As for foods, there's good brands out there for a lot of money and some good brands for quite a bit less.
I like Natural Balance, and Kirkland Signature from Costco. Kirkland's about .50 cents /lbs., so 40lbs. is around $20.00.
In all cases I'd avoid Science diet - learn to read dog food labels.
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Amie

Re: She doesn't like her food.

Postby Amie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:36 pm

cbr117 wrote:She basically has to be enticed to eat by adding something, or just waiting it out until she is real real hungry.

First check to be sure she's healthy - no worms or other conditions that might affect her eating.

If it's not that, what you've just described is a pup who's trained you to give her candy. Don't put special treats on her food to lure her to eat. Being hungry is not unhealthy - when she gets hungry enough, she'll eat.

cbr117
Newborn Bully

Postby cbr117 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:42 pm

What are some other good foods I can get at Petsmart or Petsupermarket?

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Disclaimer: I can be a bit of a softie in some areas.

That said; assuming the vet gives her a clean bill of health and she doesn't care for the food...I'd change it.

But to be honest, I'm not really crazy about any of the brands that PetsMart carries...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:00 pm

cbr117 wrote:What are some other good foods I can get at Petsmart or Petsupermarket?

Authority is "okay" but if you're going to get that, go to Walmart and get Maxximum Chicken rice or lamb rice.
I'd still just let her get hungry until she eats. You'll create a picky eater by adding stuff if she turns her nose up at what she's given.
FTR, Blue buffalo is not the lowest quality food you can give by any means. It's overpriced for what it is, but it's not bad for dogs.
I'd still get a fecal done.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:14 am

msvette2u wrote:I'd still get a fecal done.

x3

jocy
Newborn Bully

Postby jocy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 am

If the test results come out clean, and it is just the food... i sometimes put a small spoon of canned food into the dry food mix, and my dog will eat everything up.

Return to “Health Issues”