Taste of the Wild?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
amymcq1
Newborn Bully

Taste of the Wild?

Postby amymcq1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 pm

I have been reading a lot about Taste of the Wild food, and have been seriously considering changing to it.
Izzy has been eating Natures Logic for about 1 1/2 years, but I'm finding it harder to afford right now.
I bought a sample bag of TOTW Wetlands, and she wolfed it down!
I know it's made by Diamond, but....
The ingredients look good, and Diamond states that 99.9% of products are all from the U.S.
Cleaning up there act it appears.
Any advise is more than welcome.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:16 am

my cats eat TOTW and I keep a bag around for visitors (or when Pete needs to be hand fed for a few days).

I really like it and so do the pets.

Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:03 am

I've been eyeing it myself. My local tractor-supply sells it and it would be really easy for me to access is the main reason why. Brodix is just really allergic to things, so I hate to make a change.

Not sure about Diamond making it either...... :sad:

Midnight Sun APBT
Matured Bully

Postby Midnight Sun APBT » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:43 am

Daimond does not make it, they distribute it.

GREAT dog food, been on it almost a year now, coats and muscle tone like no other. Eat less, poop less, nice shiny teeth... wonderful.

Be aware... if you over feed... they will get loose stools!!!

amymcq1
Newborn Bully

Postby amymcq1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:50 am

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_ ... ead/441734
Users responses that made me possibly a bit more concerned about switching.
Still, price point and quality seem to be there.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:18 am

i've been very happy with it. my dogs have done well on it, the cats have done well on it, i'm comfortable with the grain free but not reallyreally high protein.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 am

It is what I am feeding my guys, and I love it..it's a good food, and fairly affordable.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:00 am

I have been feeding it for a little over a year now and I am very pleased with the results. I feed a ton less and have a lot less to pick up in the yard. I switched from EVO and am MUCH better off with this product.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Re: Taste of the Wild?

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:01 am

amymcq1 wrote: Izzy has been eating Natures Logic for about 1 1/2 years, but I'm finding it harder to afford right now.
I.

I LOVE natures Logic and I too am finding it harder to afford right now...It is SO pricey- but it's the only food that Maddie does well on - she has issues - LOL

retro
Adolescent Bully

Postby retro » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:03 am

we mainly feed raw, but i keep a bag of "crunchies" around for lazy days. EVO used to be my food of choice, but distance in travel to pick it up, and outrageous price point led me to try TOTW. i didn't notice a bit of difference (except in my wallet, and the amount that i have to feed) in any of the 4 dogs when i switched.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 am

I've been feeding my dog the Pacific Stream formula for almost a year now – no problems and no complaints. Her coat is shiny and healthy, she has hardly any gas, and it is affordable. We did try one bag of the Wetlands formula and the gassiness came back but I'm quite sure it's due to the protein sources that don't work for my dog rather than quality concerns about the food itself.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:45 pm

I fed the Wetlands formula for a while and all three of my dogs did great on it (the only food that all three have done well on)...cost was a big factor so I had to switch to Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete but Lexus isn't doing well on it, so we're going back to TOTW after this bag.

Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:15 pm

Without me being a food professional here.LOL What would be the major differences in the food formulas ? Brodix is fairly allergic but I think we are getting it under control, but want formula would be the best for him that they offer ? I'm thinking this may be a new food for him. Its reasonably priced, seems healthy, and I can pick it up 5 miles away :thumbsup:

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm

Brad-and-Brodix
Well, not knowing Brodix's specific issues, the two general rules I used were no grain and single protein source only (i.e. only chicken or only fish). We had some other issues that we had already narrowed down with our dog (no beef, and no oil that was used in the old-formula Canidae).

The Pacific Stream is the only TOTW formula that is single protein source – the others all contain a mix of fish and/or fowl and/or bison (I think).

The main starch filler in TOTW is white potato and I think one version has sweet potato. Another member here (Jazzy, I think) was going to try TOTW but couldn't because her dog had been allergy-tested and potato was on the list of no-no's for her dog.

Another issue I had with my dog was itchiness – while this is most likely due to environmental allergies, her coat condition really improved on the Pacific Stream formula and she did appear to have less itchiness.

If you have been able to narrow down or at least see a pattern to what may trigger his allergic reactions, that would be the best way to decide. While this food has worked great for my dog and her needs, I would hate if you guys had a bad experience if Brodix's issues are totally different. Hope this helps!

Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:54 pm

:) 8) :headbang: Thanks soo much ! We haven't done the testing, but we are pretty sure it isn't food related. He is on Prednisone 20mg every other day right now and it has all but completely rid him of his problems but I really don't want him on it forever ! Right now he is on BB fish and sweet potato and seems to be doing ok but I don't think he likes it as much as he does chicken. We were trying everything a while back to see if we could help him with his skin issues and went to the fish.
Thanks again...

Return to “Health Issues”