x rays and weight pulling

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bullheaded
Matured Bully

x rays and weight pulling

Postby bullheaded » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:30 pm

I will start by saying that I didn't know where exactly to put this so I opted to start here. I have some questions for the people on here that do weight pulling. What x-rays do you get done on your dogs? My mom was talking with one of the vets at her work about getting Roo x rayed because she would like to try weight pulling with her. The vet asked what all x rays would she want done and when my mom mentioned hips, she told my mom she would probably sedate Roo because that tends to be a painful x ray for dogs. How often do you have these x rays done? I told my mom it was completly up to her weather to risk doing more damage if Roo has an unknow problem that is agravated by weight pulling or the risks of doing x rays? How risky are these x rays? Don't get me wrong, I know everything has its risks but I like to weigh the pros and cons before I just jump into doing something to my dogs. I am interested in trying weight pulling with couple of my guys so I am looking to possibly have some x rays done on my guys too. Thanks for help.

Chrissy

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:35 pm

I didn't think they sedated the dogs because it was painful... I thought it was to keep them still in order to get a good view of the hips. You can see in the first picture on this page how they have to position a dog, and I know for my dogs it would be really hard to get an 80 pound wiggly dog to stay still :)

kennel link removed, sorry

I'm not an expert though, and I'm sure someone else can chime in with better advice :)

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:36 pm

I x-rayed Soleil and Xanny's hips, elbows, and patellas (knees), before they pulled. I also had a cardiac exam done, though they'd both worked before I did that.
Hip x-rays aren't painful, but they're uncomfortable, as the dog needs to lay completely still w/their hind legs spread. Most dogs won't put up w/it, and if they're not completely still, and positioned correctly, the x-rays are useless.

kaliya5
Super Bully

Postby kaliya5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 pm

Leslie H wrote:Hip x-rays aren't painful, but they're uncomfortable, as the dog needs to lay completely still w/their hind legs spread. Most dogs won't put up w/it, and if they're not completely still, and positioned correctly, the x-rays are useless.

lol, that's the way Boss lounges half the time. If he ever needs his hips x-rayed we shouldn't have probelms.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:06 am

Both my girls had OFA films done, hips & elbows, without anesthesia. With the right vet, it's not a problem at all.

pitbullcrazy30
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbullcrazy30 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:47 pm

my dog had hip xrays, while awake and the vet said hip were great, then i had him sedated at a ortho vet, and they got better x rays because he was relaxed and it showed hi left hip was really bad. So i sugjest sedating the dog.

bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby bullheaded » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Do you get this all done yearly?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:10 pm

Just once, though if I need to sedate Soleil again, I'd probably x-ray to look for any changes. She's definitely not cooperative enough to be x-rayed while awake.
I had heard that conscious dogs tend to have somewhat tighter x-rays, but not to a large degree.

Return to “Health Issues”