Benadryl

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SophiazMom
Newborn Bully

Benadryl

Postby SophiazMom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:03 pm

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Benadryl on their pup?

Long story short, Sophia has been limping off and on for the past 2 weeks or so. I took her into the vet and after looking her over and taking some X-rays, he determined that she has some tissue damage and recommended that she not do ANY exercise for 10 days for now so it can heal. This means no walks at all, even short ones. After the 10 days of rest, he said I should slowly ease her back into her 2 walks a day routine (normally about 5 miles total and sometimes we jog in the evenings).

I think being so sedentary is going to drive Sophia nuts and she's not into toys as I've tried many including ropes, balls, flying monkey disk thing (I thought it was cute!) and even those puzzlers where they have to try and get the treats out of the ball/container. She's just not into them.

Anyway, someone suggested that I sedate her a bit with Benadryl which is how her greyhound coped after surgery.

I've found the dosage online to be up to 1 mg/lb every 8 hours (which I plan on verifying with her vet).

Any thoughts? I hate giving her this stuff, especially after my experience with it which basically was a 4 hour blackout after taking it. But she gets bored and frustrated if she doesn't get her walks and she sighs, whines and licks her paws obsessively when she's frustrated. :frown:

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Cookie, my older dog, takes it regularly for her allergies. It does mellow her out, but she's never gotten zombified on it. She gets 50mg, which is a little less than I could actually give her.

Of course, if I take the same amount - good night! lol

SophiazMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SophiazMom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:17 pm

Okay thank you for the input. My friend said it doesn't have a narcotic affect on the dogs, but I'm just really reluctant unless I know it's safe for sure.

Thanks again =]

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:49 pm

It's generally safe at 1-2mg/lb of body weight.
You could give up to 100mg (FOUR 25mg tablets) for a 50lb. dog.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:52 pm

i used it for Wyatts allergies and didnt notice any grogginess.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:13 pm

I have heard that Benadryl will have an opposite effect on dogs and actually make them more hyper.

It has never made my dogs drowsy. Talk to your vet about giving Melatonin...it's widely used to calm dogs with separation anxiety.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:13 pm

L Boogie wrote:I have heard that Benadryl will have an opposite effect on dogs and actually make them more hyper.

It has never made my dogs drowsy. Talk to your vet about giving Melatonin...it's widely used to calm dogs with separation anxiety.

That's meant to say "SOME dogs"

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Pollyanna gets 3 (she weighs 40 pounds) when the grass is green. I've never noticed any grogginess OR hyperness. Just less itchiness.

SophiazMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SophiazMom » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:28 am

L Boogie wrote:I have heard that Benadryl will have an opposite effect on dogs and actually make them more hyper.

Yes, the vet said the same thing about some dogs having the opposite affect.

I didn't know about melatonin for dogs though. I do keep melatonin on hand in case I have trouble sleeping, especially in the summer - but I have no idea about the dosage for pups. I suppose I can Google or call him again.

Thanks again guys.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:39 am

I think you'd have to use the max dose for a dog to get fairly groggy.
As an aside note, for dogs who get carsick, you can avoid feeding them before a trip and give benadryl to help w/carsickness.
It acts similarly to dramamine.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Definitely give the Melatonin a try. It doesn't sedate, but it does mellow them out.

A dog 25-100lbs would get a 3mg pill up to every 8 hours :thumbsup:

Works great for my Boston's SA.

SophiazMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SophiazMom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:03 pm

WackyJacki wrote:Definitely give the Melatonin a try. It doesn't sedate, but it does mellow them out.

A dog 25-100lbs would get a 3mg pill up to every 8 hours :thumbsup:

Works great for my Boston's SA.

Oh thanks for the dosage info Wacky! I just bought some Benadryl yesterday, but I'd much rather try melatonin first.

Thanks again for all the advice. You guys rock as always! :headbang:

SophiazMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SophiazMom » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Hey guys,

So Sophia has been slowly, very slowly recovering from her limp. Long story short, our vet sent her X-Rays to a Radiologist to look them over. Although he saw some small signs of arthritis in her elbow, he didn't think that was the cause of her limp. Both vets came to the conclusion that she's "prone to injuries". So after being on some anti-inflammatory medication and very little walking on completely flat terrain, she's hardly limping at all.

But now, she's losing patches of her hair. Here's the deal, she was on Canidae Lamb and Rice and doing fine on it but I found out they changed the formula, dogs didn't react well (some have died!) so after talking to a couple people, I switched her over to Acana Prairie. Literally overnight she started losing a few patches of hair and I wasn't sure if it was remnants from the old food in her system or if it was the new food (grain-free but different protein source). So I called the vet, he said it could be an infinite number of things causing the hair-loss, but to eliminate one possibility, to put her back on the same protein source. So I switched her to Acana Lamb and Rice.

Well, she's been on this for over a week and I'm not seeing any improvement. I did notice that she gets some little red spots on her belly when she goes out and rolls in the grass (on the rare occasion that it isn't raining here in Seattle).

So here's my question...I noticed on a few of the previous posts, some of you give your pups Benadryl for allergies. I'm curious as to what the symptoms were? Hairloss? Little red spots?

At this point, I really don't think it's the food that's causing her problems, I think it's some sort of allergic reaction to either the environment (pollen, grass, the cats?) or maybe fleas. I've flea combed her and the cats multiple times and haven't found any evidence of fleas. But just to be sure, I plan on treating my carpet with Borax this weekend.

Thanks guys.

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Aww, I'm glad the limp is better but sorry she's got new issues!

Cookie's allergy symptoms are just a lot of scratching and paw-licking. Good luck with Sophia!

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:18 pm

littleCloClo wrote:Aww, I'm glad the limp is better but sorry she's got new issues!

Cookie's allergy symptoms are just a lot of scratching and paw-licking. Good luck with Sophia!

x2. I don't see that Pollyanna's allergies are flaring up until she scratches a bloody hole in herself. There is nothing on the skin before she starts scratching.

Return to “Health Issues”