How to switch pound dog from food to my food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

How to switch pound dog from food to my food?

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:22 pm

We are probally getting a doggie from the pound this week(home check is thursday).
She is a 2-3 year old pittie...was over bred before they got her in september.
She is currently on Pedigree they said. They say she does fine on it. her coat is shiny, ect.. Of course they agree with me and would love for me to switch her food.

I feed sabrina(my shihtzu) and our previous dog(see thread in memorial) Nutro Naturals-it was the only food they could tolerate.

Our cat is switching from nutro to blue buffalo at this moment(and the gas is horrible, lol).

So...how to switch her over to our food? Should I buy a bag of pedigree to help switch her over and mix in our food?

Thanks. :-)

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:31 pm

Both of my dogs have came from being fed on Pedigree, Jersey we bought a small bag and switched slowly, Nero we didn't, switched him cold turkey as he'd only been on it a month at the shelter and obviously wasn't doing well on it anyways (dry coarse dandruffy fur and bad gas). Both were gassy for a couple months either way, him much worse than her but we recently switched pretty quick from Canidae to Taste of the Wild when we ran out and neither had a problem at all.
I'd imagine slowly will be easier on her, maybe they would send you a small amount along if you add a donation in, you would only need enough for a week or so. She will probably be upset tummy from stress anyways though. Ideally you would do 1/4 new food to 3/4 old for a couple days, then half and half, upping it a little each day, I've changed super slowly and straight change and honestly never seen a difference but maybe mine are tough.

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:34 am

No idea what they fed at the Humane Society but we switched Ronin's food cold turkey (Natural Balance Limited Ingredients- Allergy Formula).

His coat is gorgeous now but his stools are still a little soft and he's been on this food since Jan. 24th. :sad:

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:29 pm

No idea what they fed at the Humane Society but we switched Ronin's food cold turkey (Natural Balance Limited Ingredients- Allergy Formula).

His coat is gorgeous now but his stools are still a little soft and he's been on this food since Jan. 24th.

What formula is your dog on? I have mine on the duck and sweet potatoe and he never got firm sool..I now have him on the venison formula and he is doing GREAT on it. normal stool, shiny coat etc.

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:36 pm

I'd buy a small bag of Pedigree to make a slow transition to the new food. When I switch foods I give
25% new/75% old for a week
then 50/50 for a week
then 75% new/25% old until the old is used up.
This helps lessen any diarrhea they may have from the the change.
Thanks for adopting :thumbsup:

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:37 pm

lauren99 wrote:

His coat is gorgeous now but his stools are still a little soft and he's been on this food since Jan. 24th.

What formula is your dog on? I have mine on the duck and sweet potatoe and he never got firm sool..I now have him on the venison formula and he is doing GREAT on it. normal stool, shiny coat etc.

Oh that's interesting.. hmm. He's on the Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Formula.
I'll have to try a different formula - maybe that will do it. Thanks!

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks everyone. The home inspection is thursday evening and the shelter isn't open until saturday(which is perfect-because then we have all weekend)-I stay at home though.

I will buy a bag when we pass inspection. Shelter isn't open until thursday, so I am going to go up and give them all some bones. :-)

Return to “Health Issues”