Walking in the COLD questions?????

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Walking in the COLD questions?????

Postby bohica18x » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Im sure this has been answered on here before, but I did a search and could not find anything.

I am about to bring my puppy home next weekend from the breeder. The weather here in NC gets a little cold sometime (especially for the last few days).
Anyways, my question, when is it too cold to take my puppy outside? He will be 7 weeks old when I pick him up next weekend.
Just wanna make sure the newest addition to our family doesnt get sick because I didnt do my homework.

Thanks everyone!

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:19 pm

i would hold out for walks till its warmer.....but thats just me, there are plenty of ways you can get 'em tired and show who's boss while staying inside.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:24 pm

I would say that it is never too cold to take your pup outside when they need to go. I am assuming (something I don't like to do) that you intend for the pup to be a house dog. If you are talking about leaving your pup out overnight, well, someone else will have to comment on that.

Congratulations on the pup by the way 8). I do not know if this is your first pup or not or if you may need some help with house breaking/training.

If you do, I can tell you from my experience, that puppies can not "hold it" very long. A puppy will have "to go" within 10-15 minutes, every time they eat or drink water it seems. Plus, they will have to go every couple of hours anyway.

I took my puppy outside, every hour or so until the pup was was about three months old, and then slowly lengthened the amount of time indoors. And, I watched the pup to see if it was sniffing around like it was "looking for a place".

DO NOT feed anything after about 6 p.m. So, plan meals accordingly. It is best to feed puppies 2-3 times a day, rather than one large meal. Also, puppies can not hold it throughout the night. I set my alarm clock to go off two or three times each night and got up for a quick walk with the pup and gradually cut back to setting the clock once in the middle of my sleep, when the pup was about 5 months old. I just did not want the pup to "learn" that it was okay to "do it" in the house.

Good luck with the new pup!!! I can't wait to see the puppy pictures 8)

bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Postby bohica18x » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:48 pm

thanks for the reply guys.

made me want to explain myself further....

Yes, Dozer is going to be an inside dog. And yes, this is my first APBT puppy. I grew up with pits in my family, but this is my first puppy. I have always rescued in the past.
The breeder has let me and my wife spend a pretty significant amount of time with Dozer since we purchased him. He seems to be VERY predictable when he needs to use the bathroom. And I agree, about 10 mins after he eats or drinks, it's like clockwork. Also, the breeder has been trying to get him started on crate training for me. He refuses to go inside the crate (so I guess that is perfect for me).
Anyways, I have a pretty large fenced in back yard, I just wanted to make sure they can take a little cold at that age for when I am trying to house break him. You hit it pretty much dead on.
Any more advice is appreciated!

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:47 pm

We got Marley in summer, so by the time winter hit he was already about 6 months old but he was fine outside.

I did get him a sweater (you can by a child's or babies sweater in walmart and throw that on him) for when the temperature went below about 20 degrees F, but here the temps go down to -40 and our dogs are fine. Carrie doesn't wear a sweater or boots and she's fine (in fact she seems to love the cold), but Marley is more sensitive to it so he wears a coat and booties when it's that cold.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:49 pm

The cold is the least of your worries.
The puppy is not fully vaccinated so you do not want to take him out and about until he has had all his shots.

bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Postby bohica18x » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:42 pm

bump for some more opinions on walking my new pup in the cold. Also, what kind of distance can they cover with me at such a young age (walking or running). And that question is more for when he is around 3-6 months.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:27 pm

The pup is 7 weeks old, and really shouldn't even be weaned yet. Don't take a pup from its mom and siblings until 8 weeks at the EARLIEST.

Your pup will only need to be outside for potty breaks, and unless its below freezing it really shouldn't be an issue.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:38 pm

when i got wyatt, he would play with a toy for about 10 minutes before he slept for 2 hours. So taking him for walks in the freezing cold wasn't necessary to get him tired.i did of course take him out to go to the bathroom (after every meal, every nap, every playtime) but walks i held out on until it was a little bit warmer.

msvette2u

Re: Walking in the COLD questions?????

Postby msvette2u » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:41 pm

bohica18x wrote:Just wanna make sure the newest addition to our family doesnt get sick because I didnt do my homework.

Ah, so you think cold is the only thing that could make the puppy sick? He's too young to leave his mama and siblings (as misskiwi states), but also prone to parvo which he can pick up by walking around where other dogs have walked. Distemper is also a concern for a puppy who has not had his or her vaccines.
:dunno: It's up to you I guess...just helping you with the homework.

bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Postby bohica18x » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:The pup is 7 weeks old, and really shouldn't even be weaned yet. Don't take a pup from its mom and siblings until 8 weeks at the EARLIEST.

Your pup will only need to be outside for potty breaks, and unless its below freezing it really shouldn't be an issue.

Dozer is going to be broght home 3 days before the 8 week mark. While I personally dont think that is too soon, I dont claim to be an expert either. Breeder said they usually introduce food around 6 weeks and the pups tend to switch over seamlessly with formula supplements and water. I havn't seen or heard anything bad about this breeder at all. And all of the animals have been perfectly healthy as far as I have seen. Truth be told, every single APBT that the breeder has eats and gets treated better than me. lol.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Vaccines.
Not food, vaccines.
The first vaccine basically renders the immune system helpless to ward off diseases.
At barely 8 weeks, a puppy has NOT had all it's vaccines.
And in fact is more vulnerable to disease than before it's first vaccine.
The 2nd and 3rd and 4th vaccine are what start to build up the immune system.

bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Postby bohica18x » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Also, let me clarify "walks". I understand he is a puppy, so I don't plan on taking him running with me by any means.
Walks (for now) are defined as me taking him in the back yard and walking there. He will not be exposed to ANY other dogs or any other environment until he has ALL necessary vaccinations. My wife and I have a fenced in back yard, and as far as I can tell, I dont have any dogs jumping my fence to hang out behind my house. So no worries there. No other dogs in the house. Just Sophie, our 2 year old cat.

So all that being said, Dozer will have all of his vaccinations before neighborhood walks, 7 1/2 weeks seems ok for him to come home (so the vet says), and he will not be exposed to any other dogs. And from what I can pull from the replies, his paws will not fall off if it's 40 degrees and I want to let him pee outside.

bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Postby bohica18x » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:04 pm

msvette2u wrote:Vaccines.
Not food, vaccines.
The first vaccine basically renders the immune system helpless to ward off diseases.
At barely 8 weeks, a puppy has NOT had all it's vaccines.
And in fact is more vulnerable to disease than before it's first vaccine.
The 2nd and 3rd and 4th vaccine are what start to build up the immune system.

This thread is going way off my question. But that's OK. I understand everyone is trying to help me out.
I understand the vaccine schedules and how important they are. He will have only had his first when I bring him home. Then again at 9,12, and 16. The vaccine part....I get it. I promise. The dog will not go without vaccines whatsoever.
Back to the original question.... From what I can pull from my replies, it is safe to let Dozer go outside for potty training purposes. I just wanted to make sure and that was something that I have not talked to the vet about.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:07 pm

bohica18x wrote:walking my new pup in the cold...what kind of distance can they cover with me at such a young age (walking or running)

Ah but you clarified up there ^^ hence my concern about him not being fully vaccinated ;)

Return to “Health Issues”