Max grew another lump, the vet mentioned the C word

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Max grew another lump, the vet mentioned the C word

Postby ilikelily » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Two Fridays ago this egg looking lump popped up on his back. We brought him to the vet, and the vet had little concern. Gave him a steroid shot and sent us on our way. The bump did not go away; in fact it may have gotten a little bigger. So, we went back to the vet yesterday (saw a different vet this time). This vet seemed quite concerned with the lump. I am not sure what it is called, but he stuck a needle into the lump to see if he could get any fluid out. No fluid, but he did get some cells. He looked at the cells under a microscope and said they are not fatty and the cells are not dividing... He said the lump needs to be removed within the next few weeks and then sent to the lab to find out if it is cancer :frown:

This is not something we were expecting; quite honestly it is not something I am really excepting at this point. I have my own theory of what this lump is, I am actually very surprised the vet did not mention it as a possibility. I think it may be a gremlin. It really makes the most sense. Max was a very bad boy the first eight months he lived with us and was often called 'gremlin'. And he does sleep in the kitchen, he may have gotten into some food after midnight... makes ya think, doesn't it?
If anyone out in PBF land can hope for a gremlin with me it would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

His surgery will be on the 19th.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:05 pm

The two REALLY bad common cancers are easily recognized by doing a cytology like the one your vet performed. Anytime the vet doesn't know what they're looking at, it should probably be removed, but if your vet didn't call it mast cell or melanoma, odds are its nothing terrible. Not every lump reads the books, but I still like to play the odds.

The sooner its gone, the more likely it is to be nothing. Take a deep breathe, and don't allow yourself to worry until the histopathology is back.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:45 pm

So you're saying there is a possibility it's a gremlin. lol

On a more serious note, thank you Misskiwi for your post! We are not freaking out at all, of course there is a bit of concern... but you know that's inevitable. But we are defiantly keeping cool heads about everything. Your post makes me feel better too! (My boyfriend's stupid dream about blue goo was not making me feel to good this morning)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:46 pm

ilikelily wrote:So you're saying there is a possibility it's a gremlin. lol

On a more serious note, thank you Misskiwi for your post! We are not freaking out at all, of course there is a bit of concern... but you know that's inevitable. But we are defiantly keeping cool heads about everything. Your post makes me feel better too! (My boyfriend's stupid dream about blue goo was not making me feel to good this morning)

The C-word is never fun to hear... and its not fun to talk about either. Lumps happen, and hopefully all is well. Either way, the sooner its gone, the better for everyone.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:23 am

I think the gremlin is a very possible thing :)
Best of luck for good lab results!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:48 am

:hug:
hoping all is ok.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 pm

Thank you for the well wishes, they mean a lot!

His surgery has been bumped up a few days to next Tuesday.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 pm

My 11 year old Jack just had a lumpy cut off, under the same type situaiton.. a hard lumpy the vet said it looked "Very sinister" and said I wouldnt wait to get it off.
Now, my Jack, well he too is a GREMLIN at age 11, and that lump sure didnt take him down,,..for yup, a surgery later, a holding our breath for a week, and it was ...a LUMP.
WHEW.
So I think just wierd lumps of course need to be sent out, not all are mean gremlins..some are just lil gremlins.

But I was worried sick, so I know how you feel..sending good gremlin karma all your way!

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:41 pm

You made me giggle luvnstuff, thanks for the good gremlin karma!

Max is in the neighborhood of 11/12 years old as well. He was just in for surgery in October to have a bunch of lumpy, bumpy, strange things removed (still has not grown all his hair back lol ), but this time it just seems different. This time the vet seems quite concerned (it's the same vet that did his last surgery).
... but stressing about it is not going to help, so we have planned a fantastic day for him Saturday! In the morning he is going to work his butt off at the club. The woman who runs the rescue (he is technically my foster) is going to be there video tapping him! And my dad really wants to check it out, so he going to be there too. Afterward he will get to meet my parents for the first time. Maybe a romp in the park if the weather is nice. I think a stop at the grocery store for big, raw, meaty bones will also happen!

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:24 pm

Hope it's just your garden variety lump.
Best wishes :hug:

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:13 pm

The first pit my family had had the same thing. He was only about 6 or so and we had to have 2 removed. They were only fatty tumors. Good luck Im sure everything will be ok.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 pm

If it is a mast cell tumor, don't panic. Our Tiva had grade 2 mast cell tumors (luckily on her tail), and after the vet couldn't get clean margins on the excision, we had to choose between amputation and radiation. We had her tail amputated last May, and within 2 weeks it had healed up quite nicely, and she doesn't seem to miss it at all. The tumors haven't come back. We didn't need to do chemo or prednisone. The surgery was not expensive. All turned out just fine.

And our ancient husky has dozens of the fatty tumors, lymphomas, and they've never bothered her. Some have gotten pretty big, but the vet prefers just to leave them be, rather than worry about unnecessary anesthesia with a 14 yo dog.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks for all the positive stories. We really needed to hear them. So many people have shared their own horror stories with cancer, with us over the last week.

Max goes in for surgery tomorrow morning at 8:30 am. I can not wait for this lump to be removed! I took some pictures so you all can see the 'before'. You can still see where he was shaved for his last surgery.

he was not very happy with me here

so he chased his tail

here's my baby boy, getting belly rubs, not worried about a thing
this face makes me smile every day
i love this dog

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 pm

OMG. Your poor boy. Sending positive thoughts. :hug:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 pm