Max grew another lump, the vet mentioned the C word

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:21 pm

So glad your handsome boy is home and the sugery went well. Sending good thoughts for the test results.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes! I can't tell you how much it means to us.

First thing this morning we did warm compresses and a Rimadyl. The incision is looking great! Last night there was a bit of panic when Neil called me saying "OMG it grew back! The lump is back!" After a call to the vet we found out it was just fluid. lol

Last night Max was a little unconfortable, and just kinda unsettled. But this morning he really seems to be feeling better. He was tromping around on our morning walk without a care in the world. And was very affectionate to Neil (whatever that is all about!).

Neil was told that they would not have the results back from the lab for 3-4 days. To tell you the truth, I don't want the results. I am perfectly happy not knowing. I am really trying to stay strong and positive, and I have through all this, but I just can't handle any bad news right now. I just don't want to hear it. But I know that is selfish. Logically I want the results, but emoitionally it's just tough.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Keeping Max in my thoughts and prayers. Give him an extra hug for me. :hug:

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:00 pm

:hug:

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 pm

we got the results
it's a mast cell tumor, grade 3

there are no clean margins, there is no treatment, there is nothing we can do other than monitor his quality of life which... the length of time he has is really short

we can make every day wonderful. and we are going to. every single day.

this is so hard i just don't even know what to do right now

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:50 pm

I am so, so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Give your boy a giant hug from me. And keep one for yourself. :hug:

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:52 pm

:crybaby: oh, I am so so sorry.. hugs to you and as many best days as possible...

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Damn. I was still hoping for gremlin.

I am so sorry. That sucks that they couldn't get clean margins and that they originally didn't think it was a mast.

I hope you both have lots of good beautiful happy days ahead. You're both in my thoughts. Let us know what we can do to help, if you think of anything. I have heard a little bit about sugar-free/carb-free diets helping with cancer?

Hugs to you and Max both!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:39 pm

:crybaby:

:hug:

I am so sorry. I wish it had been good news. Enjoy every minute possible.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 pm

I'm so sorry. That's terrible.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:04 pm

All I wanted was a little, baby gremlin. Heck we were even quite fond of the idea of it being some new medical mystery. This is just stupid.

I have to look into some holistic stuff. We were told that we should start giving him Pepcid AC because one of symptoms is nausea. I have to look that up too. And the diet stuff- thank you.

The good news of the day is that we are going to officially adopt Max. I mean we kinda already have, but it really means a lot to the head of the rescue and to us that he is moved from the 'available' list to the 'happily ever after' list. I am just so happy we decided to fostered him. This news would be absolutely devastating if he had been in a kennel for the last thirteen months. I am happy and proud to say that he has lived the good life with us the last year and whatever time he has left will be awesome!

The bad news is that a new fluid filled sac appeared near his arm pit today. I was told that we can somewhat judge the time left by how long it takes for the lump we just had removed, reappears. I am not sure what a new lump means, but I am sure it's not good.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 pm

I am so, so sorry. *hugs*

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 pm

:hug: I am so sorry. We're here for you.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:49 am

I'm so sorry it wasn't a baby gremlin. :frown:

In case this helps at all, when Streets had a mast cell tumor removed the nutritionist/homeopath/naturopath type person I was consulting with suggested adding chlorella to his diet and taking him off all grains. Slippery elm would probably be good for nausea as well.

Concreterose, if I'm not mistaken, had a dog with mast cell tumors and worked with the same woman as I mentioned above. Since her dog was in a situation closer to what you're dealing with than my dog was, perhaps you could PM her and get more info about what she did.

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:00 am

ilikelily wrote:we got the results
it's a mast cell tumor, grade 3

there are no clean margins, there is no treatment, there is nothing we can do other than monitor his quality of life which... the length of time he has is really short

we can make every day wonderful. and we are going to. every single day.

this is so hard i just don't even know what to do right now

oh I am so sorry, I lost one of my shar pei to the same thing, my heart goes out to you :sad:

Return to “Health Issues”