Odd female odor

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:45 am

luvmybulls wrote:
Roxers wrote::)) Well at least you got it figured out. Did you have them expressed?

Yep, I did it myself. That's how I figured out what it was. She'll be going grain free in the next month or so so that should hopefully put an end to me having to do it.

how did you do it yourself, my girl has an strong urine smell down there lately, but not sure about the anal glads only becasue i don't know much on the topic.

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 am

sydking wrote:how did you do it yourself, my girl has an strong urine smell down there lately, but not sure about the anal glads only becasue i don't know much on the topic.

It wasn't a urine smell. I can't explain the smell other than metallic.

Here's a rather graphic video on expressing the anal glands. I would suggest doing it in or right before a bath.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... aj77b7wVeA

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:44 pm

luvmybulls wrote:
sydking wrote:how did you do it yourself, my girl has an strong urine smell down there lately, but not sure about the anal glads only becasue i don't know much on the topic.

It wasn't a urine smell. I can't explain the smell other than metallic.

Here's a rather graphic video on expressing the anal glands. I would suggest doing it in or right before a bath.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... aj77b7wVeA

thanks for the vid, my pup has a sack under her poop hole, like a baboon ass kinda of lol, could this be it , although i went the the vet the other day for her vacs and he sed she was very healthy and fine, could he of missed?

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:12 pm

sydking could you post a picture? You aren't talking about her vulva are you?

JenLeigh
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby JenLeigh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:36 pm

oh!!! oh my god. :yucky: i had NO idea I had to do that to my dog. i mean. wow.

when i took him to the vet the first time, she checked his bum...but, i was under the impression that she stuck her fingers up there....and was just...checkin stuff.

ew. so gross.

how often does one have to administer this...procedure? and i cant imagine finn letting me do that without a struggle.......

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:24 pm

JenLeigh wrote:oh!!! oh my god. :yucky: i had NO idea I had to do that to my dog. i mean. wow.

when i took him to the vet the first time, she checked his bum...but, i was under the impression that she stuck her fingers up there....and was just...checkin stuff.

ew. so gross.

how often does one have to administer this...procedure? and i cant imagine finn letting me do that without a struggle.......

A grainless diet makes the stool much firmer. Firm stool will be more likely to force the sacs to discharge when dropping a deuce, just as nature intended.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:36 pm

I have had some spayed females get vaginitis.
Sometimes probiotics help sometimes its a trip to the vet.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:34 pm

luvmybulls wrote:
JenLeigh wrote:oh!!! oh my god. :yucky: i had NO idea I had to do that to my dog. i mean. wow.

ew. so gross.

A grainless diet makes the stool much firmer. Firm stool will be more likely to force the sacs to discharge when dropping a deuce, just as nature intended.

some dogs anal glands are positioned wrong, so even if the poop is firm, it wont discharge the fluid from the anal glands. and the only way to emtpy them fully is to stick your finger in their bum and do it. You can squeeze 'em out without going 'inside' the dog, but you can never be sure they're 100% empty.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 pm

You also don't have to do it yourself if you don't want to. Most vets will express anal glands for a pretty minimal fee, without charging the whole office visit. The vet I worked for charged $10.

And if your dog isn't having a problem.. you don't have to do it at all. It just depends on the individual dog.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:42 am

Some groomers also do it as part of the 'service".

Return to “Health Issues”