Weight issue..

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ams036
Adolescent Bully

Weight issue..

Postby ams036 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:17 am

Well I posted on here about a week ago about Grace losing weight and we went to the vet today to make sure it was not an illness or any other sort of parasite. They did a stool sample and he thoroughly examined her and said other than her looking a tad underweight she was in perfect health. He was trying to get me to put her on Purina Pro Plan but I told him that I would prefer she stayed on a more hollistic diet and that I thought she may be allergic to corn so that would not be an option. He said he feels that she may need more food, but she was being fed almost 6 cups a day and her weight was still slowly dropping. He said that it could be due to her body needing more calories for various reasons (weather, stress, running and playing more etc). So I basically spent $95.00 to learn nothing was wrong, which was a bit high but I am glad she is okay.

I think the food she has been on just may not have enough nutrients in it for her high activity level so I bought a bag of EVO red meat to see how that goes. The last food she was on was Solid Gold Wolf King. Has anyone had this same problem due to food? And what is everyone's opinion on EVO red meat? The pet shop recommended that at first she get no more than 2 cups a day, (1 cup AM, 1 cup PM) but I am concerned that this just may not be enough, especially since I want her to put on 2lbs. Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 am

I don't like blanket statements about food quantity. Dogs are individuals, with different metabolisms and energy levels. Feed your dog what it takes to keep her healthy (and that includes a healthy weight). A higher quality food will frequently take less to give the same nutrients (and Evo is generally considered higher than Solid Gold - it's 95% meat, IIRC, and Solid Gold has more filler) but mostly just look at what your dog needs, not what the bag or a stranger say.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:27 am

I have dogs that are really hard to keep weight on, so they've been getting high calorie food. My dogs have been eating Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete...another very high calorie food is California Natural Lamb Meal and Rice Puppy Food.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:04 am

Did the vet do any bloodwork at all also?

Evo is good, some dogs don't do well on it but it's high protein so she should gain on it, I would compare calories per cup on both foods and feed as close as possible plus a little more since she needs to gain.

I have a dog that's very hard to put weight on, ended up switching foods and now he's stable but not gaining on Taste of the Wild, he looks ribby but no spine or hip bones anymore so much improved. I did mix in some Evo for a while when I was feeding Canidae because we had the same problem as you, 5 cups a day and still losing. He gets 3 cups a day now plus treats which is a lot easier on the wallet.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:35 pm

Solid Gold foods are extremely low fat. I won't feed them for that reason. (dogs depend on fat for energy, among other things). I would look for a food with a substantially higher fat content. Also, if you're not already giving your dog fish oil, I would consider supplementing with that.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Regular Innova has the most calories per cup of any food I've found. If your pup is physically unable to consume enough calories to meet her metabolic needs, that is the food I recommend.

If she doesn't make improvements in a month, then you should go back and have another chat with your vet. Also keep in mind that a skinny dog is better than a fat dog, but if she can't maintain weight, there's more wrong than just the food.

Return to “Health Issues”