NEED HELP FAST--my dog bit through a battery.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

NEED HELP FAST--my dog bit through a battery.

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:59 pm

I gave him pretty much a cup of h2o. i opened his mouth and his poured it inside him. He hasnt barfed yet eaither!


He was chewing on a battery for 2 minutes while i went to get the door. And their was a whole in the battery. a small but sort of wideish hole. I saw the black oily stuff in the battery. I am wondering if he needs to go to the vet ASAP. His tounge wasnt black though and hes acting fine..


but what the hell. i gave him the h2o and he didnt throw up.. how long does it take.


PLEASE RESPOND. I NEED FAST ASAP ADVICE. I DO NOT HAVE A CAR . and i am checking the phone book as we speak for an emergyence hotline to see what happens when a dog punctures a hole in the battery.

WHAT SHOULD I DO
PLEASE HELP

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

User avatar
pitgrrl
Moderator
Posts: 5451
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: MTL
Contact:

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Was the hydrogen peroxide fresh? I believe stuff that's been around and open for a while won't work. I would not continue giving it though, a cup is a lot.

There is an ASPCA poison control line, but it costs $50.00.
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

If you have a local emergency clinic, you may want to call them and ask what they recommend you do. Here, at least, vet techs will provide info over the phone.

Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:11 pm

someone recommended that i can add a table spoon of salt in his mouth. will that work as well? I am feeding him white rice so he can have food in his stomach and then i will re give him the h2o and salt.

OMG im so worried.


do you think he can be ok? i touched the acid part of the battery myself and it didnt burn me. i put my hand in the hole to see if that was the juice. and it was liquidly.. but didnt burn me. gosh im scared :frown:

User avatar
innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Contact:

Postby innocence621 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Something as caustic as battery acid, you would not want the dog to vomit, so stop giving peroxide.

Does he have any burns on the inside of his mouth? Give him some milk of magnesia to dilute the acid, and call the vet.

Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:29 pm

well i put more salt in his mouth and the h2o isnt making him throw up. i guess he is fine then? He just gags from the salt and h2o and i heard some noises in his stomach after i gave him the stuff. but other then that hes fine..

its only a little acid that got him.. can a little tiny bit of acid still cause harm.

Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 pm

ok ill stop trying to make him throw up.

and whats milk of magnesia?


regular milk in my fridge???

and no he doesnt have any burns inside his mouth

Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:35 pm

JUST called Poison Control who said if he's not drooling, or acting as if he's in pain, and there are no visible burns in his mouth he'll be okay.

I then called the national battery ingestion hotline (Can you believe one exists????) and the woman there was more informative. She said burns are usually immediate and visible, and if a half-hour has passed, (it has) and he's acting okay, and not having trouble swallowing, then everything will be okay.





Its been 30 mins and hes acting fine and theirs no visible burns.. so i guess hes fine and doesnt need an asap vet? or do these people that i talked to are morons and that i need to see a vet asap??????


im just really worried and i dont have a car or nothing.. if i do go to the vet i will need to get a taxi which i dont have any money for......

hes acting fine and its been 30+ minutes and he doesnt have any burns in his mouth

User avatar
pitgrrl
Moderator
Posts: 5451
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: MTL
Contact:

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:37 pm

I would really stop giving him things. You can make things worse and as was mentioned, depending on what the dog ate, making them vomit is not always the best course of action.

Take a deep breath, try to think clearly and logically and call your closest ER/24H vet clinic and/or the poison control line to get some advice on what you should do next.

Sorry---I must have posted at the same time as you. Good luck, it sounds like it's going to be okay.

User avatar
InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2380
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: HV-GB, Ooh Canada

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:58 pm

STOP with the salt. If your dog ingests too much salt it will kill it.
If your dog isn't acting funny, doesn't have any burns etc. 30 minutes after it will be fine. If you are still worried get the dog to a vet. It's as simple as that.

Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:00 pm

How much salt is to much? I gave 4 table spoons of salt. my dog is 40 lb's.


is that enough to kill him?




i stopped giving him stuff.. but now i am worried that i gave him to much salt!

how much salt can kill a dog

User avatar
InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2380
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: HV-GB, Ooh Canada

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Just relax! Breathe! Don't give the dog any more "home remedies" and let the dog have access to lots of fresh water. Monitor the dog and should the behavior change within the hour get him to a vet. If you can get him to a vet now, even if it ends up being nothing you at least know that everything will be fine.
I am not sure how much salt is too much for a dog but salt in general in high doses is dangerous.

Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:15 pm

ok.. yea i am just so worried right now. i cant even think.......... I'll monitor his activities for an hour and hopefuly he does fine.

thanks

User avatar
pitgrrl
Moderator
Posts: 5451
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: MTL
Contact:

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:39 pm

This is info that Misskiwi kindly looked up for me a couple of years back when one of my dogs had a little incident with salt.

According to a study of cases at the APCC of homemade playdoh ingestion, a dose of salt >1.9 g/kg can be toxic and >4 g/kg can be lethal. 15 ml of salt weighs about 18 g. So if the dog ate about 75 ml of salt, the dose would be 3 g/kg so signs of hypernatremia (ataxia, tremors, seizures) can be seen.

Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Sorry my math sucks. Does that mean my dog needs VET ASAP?

if i had a full container of salt in this salt shaker

[img]According%20to%20a%20study%20of%20cases%20at%20the%20APCC%20of%20homemade%20playdoh%20ingestion,%20a%20dose%20of%20salt%20>1.9%20g/kg%20can%20be%20toxic%20and%20>4%20g/kg%20can%20be%20lethal.%2015%20ml%20of%20salt%20weighs%20about%2018%20g.%20So%20if%20the%20dog%20ate%20about%2075%20ml%20of%20salt,%20the%20dose%20would%20be%203%20g/kg%20so%20signs%20of%20hypernatremia%20(ataxia,%20tremors,%20seizures)%20can%20be%20seen.[/img]

And their is 3/4's left, thus my dog are 1/4 of the salt in the salt shaker..


Its been 30 minutes since he had the salt and hes not showing any signs of anything. Although, when the salt first went into his stomach, he had noises in his stomach that i heard.

Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Image


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests