NEED HELP FAST--my dog bit through a battery.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
pitgrrl
Moderator
Posts: 5451
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: MTL
Contact:

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:14 pm

How much salt did you actually give? Was it in fact 4 tablespoons as you posted before? Could you see how much is left in the shaker and estimate from that how much you gave?

According to a study of cases at the APCC of homemade playdoh ingestion, a dose of salt >1.9 g/kg can be toxic and >4 g/kg can be lethal. 15 ml of salt weighs about 18 g. So if the dog ate about 75 ml of salt, the dose would be 3 g/kg so signs of hypernatremia (ataxia, tremors, seizures) can be seen.


1 Tbs. = 15 ml = 18g

4 Tbs would therefore be 72g of salt

If the dog is 40lbs (72g divided by 40lbs/19kg aprox.) this would mean he ingested 3.78g/kg.
Last edited by pitgrrl on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rivera
Newborn Bully
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: cali

Postby Rivera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Maybe i was exaggerating. I'd say it was 2-3 tbs.

Its been 2 hours ish since i gave him the salt and hes doing fine now.


im so glad hes doing ok. For a second, i almost thought i was going to lose him :crybaby: :crybaby: hopefully he continues to do ok.....


i appreciate everyone's help .

User avatar
Eclipsor
Newborn Bully
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Postby Eclipsor » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:29 pm

Wow, it was traumatic just to read this thread. lol

I'm glad things are fine now.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests