Puppy help

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Dalton Wayne
Newborn Bully

Puppy help

Postby Dalton Wayne » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm

I have a 4 week old pit pup I am bottle feeding because the mom rejected him, he'd doing well and starting to wean, tonight when I was feeding him I found a flea, how do I treat a 3lb pup for fleas?

He is such a little doll he was gave to me and I want nothing but the best for him, he will be an indoor dog I don't believe in keeping dogs outdoors, he's brindle with bright blue eyes and is walking already,

I will also take any tips you can give me aswell
Regards
DW

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Dawn dish soap is safe to bathe a pup that young in for fleas.

MommyofBean
Newborn Bully

Postby MommyofBean » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Yup, original Dawn dish soap is AWESOME! :headbang:

I had some 2 day old kittens I was handraising that had fleas and I had to use Dawn dish soap on them and it got rid of the fleas. :)) The key is to keep the puppy warm and get him dry as soon as possible. Until the puppy is dry, keep him bundled up next to your body for warmth.

bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Postby bohica18x » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:57 am

X3.....

Used Dawn on my cat when she was a kitten. Same story though, I got my cat at 3 1/2 weeks because the mother abandoned her.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:15 am

The problem is you'll have to keep doing it because if you see ONE on the animal, there's more in the environment. Fleas are on the animal for a quick meal before heading off to lay eggs.

I have no experience with Dawn, but when we (were young and more idiotic) had a litter of kittens and mom and they were rescued from a flea infested apartment we treated mama with flea meds (probably a big no no) and the fleas finally left the kittens. What a nightmare, and hence the reason I don't do cat rescue at all anymore. Well with the exception of a day-old kitten lol

You could call your vet and ask for advice. I think Bio spot is safe enough you could maybe put a few drops on the pup - but ask the vet first.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:51 am

I would NOT recommend any of the topical flea products until the pup is older (7 weeks). Just because it has "bio" in the title does not make BioSpot any safer than frontline or advantage, in fact I believe it is less safe. Even their "puppy" product is labeled for dogs 6 months of age and older, while Frontline and advantage are for 7 or 8 weeks.
Cap Star is safe for puppies over 2 weeks of age and at least 2 pounds. It will not have a continuous effect, but it will kill all adult fleas, and is safe to be given every few days.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:23 pm

With Dawn it can be a very 'heavy' detergent. I know in people it will dry skin out quick.

How much do you recommend using?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:33 pm

I didn't recommend it because it has "bio" in it lol

But rather, because I've used it on dozens of dogs and puppies (even young/small ones) with no problems.

I agree however that it might be harmful - which is why I said "check w/your vet first" :thumbsup:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Pitbull-Lady wrote:With Dawn it can be a very 'heavy' detergent. I know in people it will dry skin out quick.

How much do you recommend using?

I'm thinking the puppy will be a flakey mess in short order :\

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Just a little bit of soap, enough for a lather..if fact any soap or puppy shampoo will do. If you leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes it will drown and kill the fleas. It shouldn't dry the puppy out, I've never had that problem.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:28 pm

If it does dry him out there are a ton of moisturizing products out there for dogs with sensitive skin, I'd suggest a spray on type, Crazy Dog puts out the one we use and it works like a charm on Chino's super sensitive skin.

MommyofBean
Newborn Bully

Postby MommyofBean » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:54 pm

I watered it down first. I got a cup and filled it with warm water and put it enough soap so it would lather like shampoo and then I poured the soapy water over the kittens, lathered them up, let it sit for a minute(keeping them warm in my hands) and then rinsed them off.

I've never had problems with the soap drying out the skin.

BTW, you could also check into Capstar. It's a tablet that can be given to puppies/kittens and even pregnant/lactating dogs/cats and it kills all the fleas in a couple hours. I had to use that on a preggers cat once right before she gave birth(after they give birth the fleas will leave the mom and go straight for the kittens!).

I just checked and it can be used on puppies 4 weeks or older that weigh at least 2 lbs. :thumbsup:

http://www.capstar.novartis.us/dogs/about_dogs.htm

I use it in conjuction with a Dawn bath if there's a really bad infestation. Just wait a couple hours before giving a bath, that way you can wash out all the dead fleas.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Capstar is very safe but would have to be repeated all the time if there are fleas in the environment.
It works immediately but it doesn't continue to work, so any new fleas would not be affected.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 pm

There is nothing you can put on a pup that young that will have a lasting effect. You will have to keep killing the adult fleas on the pup (with Dawn or CapStar) until it is old enough for Advantage or Frontline. You can try to control the fleas in the environment with other products (pesticides, etc), just make sure you follow directions to keep your pup safe from them.

...Upon further research, Sentinel is labeled for use on puppies 4 weeks and older. Sentinel contains Lufenuron, which is like flea birth control (they can't reproduce), so when used in combo with CapStar, can control the flea population. The label does state that the safety of using Sentinel in conjunction with CapStar has not been evaluated in puppies younger than 11 weeks.

Return to “Health Issues”