help with steriods for allergies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
srt2fast4u
Newborn Bully

help with steriods for allergies

Postby srt2fast4u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:21 am

Hello everyone let me give you a backround on my pittie. We adopted her aprox 2 years ago from a shelter. She is the greatest dog but has severe allergies. When we adopted her she was already getting 2 bendyrl in the morning and 2 at night. She was also getting desensitizing shots once a week. I give her a bath with malaseb once a week as well. Since we have adopted her we now give her 4 ben in the morning and 4 at night. We took her to her dermatologist Dr Nina Scholberg out of NY the other day. I explained to her that the itching is so severe her cone has to be on 24/7 and we cant sleep at night because she itches with her back paws all night. She recommened we stop the shot if its not helping and try another antihistamine to see if that helps. She also for the first time put her on Trimeprazine. She explained that it will only help for aprox 3 weeks then she will go back to the way she was. She said its not goo for her to be on the meds like that for long.
My thought was I would rather her live 3 more years happy then 6 years miserable. My question is can I just give her on pill say every other day and if I did would it be enough to make a difference. I just want relief for my baby. I have tried EVERYTHING

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:59 am

what kind of allergies does she have? food or airborne? have you done a food trial to see if she is allergic to her food? what is she eating? to do a food trial you have to do one protein/one carb type allergy food to see if its a food allergy. Dick Van pattens natural balance makes a Limited ingredient food for dogs with allergies.. have you done a allergy blood test to see if she is allergic to airborne items?

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:05 pm

I too have an allergy dog and have gone through much of what you have. OTC antihistamines have no effect, she's been receiving a weekly shot as well, for over a year with no effect. Steroids gave us some improvement.

What I HIGHLY recommend though is Atopica. It is a pill specifically for allergies and has worked very well for us here. Ask your vet.[/i]

srt2fast4u
Newborn Bully

Postby srt2fast4u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:46 pm

I have tried every food and raw. now she is on eagle pack. She has airbone allergies that she was tested for. Dust mites cedar pollen etc.
My dr metioned atopica but mentioned its costs around $300 a month. mydogroxy how often do you use the steroid

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:50 pm

i use the atopica on my gsd, she has air allergies as well as food allergies, for a box of 15 pills from the vet its $70 she gets one a day. walgreens has a pet prescription plan, i just signed up for it as they have cyclosporine (atopica) there as well. you should also look into canadian places as well as sometimes they are cheaper.

srt2fast4u
Newborn Bully

Postby srt2fast4u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:54 pm

mary ellen how has your dog been after and how was you dog before. Thanks in advance

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:06 pm

we just started it a week ago, so far so good, i havent seen any change yet, the vet said it could take 30 days to see a difference.. mydogroxy has been using it longer on her dog, so hopefully she will chime in with her dog before and after

srt2fast4u
Newborn Bully

Postby srt2fast4u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:11 pm

how severe is you dog now. Our dog wears a cone on her head 24/7 and has for years

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:30 pm

my gsd started her allergies at 2 she is now just shy of 8 years old. we have been battling them for 6 years, she did steriods,benedryl, prescription allergy meds from the vet, shots ,etc as she gets older it gets worse. she doesnt have to wear a cone though, as her only signs are chewing her left food, her private parts and her ears are all yeasty. we are now treating with atopica and ketaconzole for life, plus she is having ear surgery monday due to the excessive yeast buildup for both her ears. she will have to go for blood work every 4 months to see if the drugs are affecting her liver. eventually i will have to make a judgement call on her quality of life. for now i am just stalling that with drugs and surgeries...

srt2fast4u
Newborn Bully

Postby srt2fast4u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:33 pm

MaryEllen sorry to hear that. We are in the same boat. I question everyday whether she is suffering to much. Its a difficult choice and if you mention it to the vet they look at you like your a dog killer. I love her so much I hate to see her suffer.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:39 pm

thank you, i am sorry you are going thru it too, mine isnt as bad as yours, it sounds like yours is very bad.

have you tried getting a second opinion? i used a Dr Karen Rhodes in Riverdale NJ for jesse a few weeks ago, and boy was she super... she was expensive, $295 for the visit plus the ear scope, but she went over some options with me which was super cool. you might want to take a trip and get a 2nd opinion as well.

also, have you tried wiping your dog down when she comes inside with a cool cloth to get the pollen off her? dont use warm water, as that opens the pores and lets the allergens in, you want to wipe her and bathe her in cool water ( i know its hard in the winter, but cool water is better). i would also switch to Tide FREE and Clear allergy laundry detergent, i noticed a difference with my 2 allergy dogs when i did that (yes i have another allergy dog here LOL.. the house of misfits) also, get a vaccumm cleaner with a hepa filter, and get natural cleaners for the floors and such, the more natural you go the better for the dog.. i noticed a huge difference when i switched to natural cleaners,Shaklee makes them and i also use Dr Bronners soaps for the floors and such. i also bathe my 2 allergy dogs in either Malasab or Dermal Pet Allergy soothe shampoo, both are really great for dogs with allergies.. they get baths once a week in the spring/summer months and twice a month in the colder months. i also dont let them lay near the heating vents, as dust mites are in those too, and the heat dries out their skin more and they itch more..

srt2fast4u
Newborn Bully

Postby srt2fast4u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:50 pm

I have had a few opinons. I also bath her in malaseb once a week. I use a free detergent also because I am alergic to the harsher types. I will have to look into a floor cleaner. Now we use Fabuloso.

srt2fast4u
Newborn Bully

Postby srt2fast4u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:55 pm

I just looked Costco has cyclosporine A for $3.11 per pill. Thats still alot but it is alittle better then I thought. After the 30 day of once a day how often have you guys been giving it to your dogs

srt2fast4u
Newborn Bully

Postby srt2fast4u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:31 pm

any thoughts on continuing the Trimeprazine maybe every other day and giving one pill

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:42 pm

I'm so sorry you are going through this! :hug: I know it sucks to not be able to help them. When my dogs are miserable, I'm miserable.

I have an allergy girl here (grass, mostly). I'm very lucky in that (knock on wood) Benadryl seems to help. Before I got the Benadyrl dosage correct (thanks Msvette2U) I switched to hypoallergenic detergent, etc. with no results whatsoever.

I give her Malaseb baths twice a week which sometimes helps, sometimes irritates the allergies further. But, in the beginning I was also doing this wrong. I was just lathering her up and washing her off. Our resident PBF vet (MissKiwi) told me to keep her lathered 10 full minutes and to set a timer. Since I started actually following directions I've had better results.

Someone else also suggested to buy the dog a t-shirt to keep the claws from hitting some of the most tender places. Everywhere my dog is white is where she seems to itch. Behind her ears, chest, underarms, butthole (ugh).

Sorry I don't have any steroid advice. She's been on Prednisone twice in the last year and the allergies cleared up immediately, but because of the long-term effects I've elected not to do them anymore.

You might search for a member here, Robby, who has Icky, a severe allergy dog.

Return to “Health Issues”