My APBT is sick :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
silverfox302
Newborn Bully

My APBT is sick :(

Postby silverfox302 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 pm

So yesterday (saturday, valentines day) my fiance and I left Gus in his crate for about an hour to go to the supermarket. When we came home he had broken out of his crate, which is the normal routine. He didnt seem to get into anything while we were gone, as we have learned to keep anything he could get into locked away. At about the time we started to cook dinner (about an hour later) he started acting very lethargic, occasionaly shaking, and saliva dripping from his mouth (hes not a drooler at all.) We kept an eye on him for a little while and he didnt improve so we brought him to the only vet in the area that was open and they took his vitals and everything checked out. The vet suggested we give him an antibiotic, and something that would calm his stomach (she seemed to think it was G.I. related) We have been feeding him only chicken and rice per DR.'s orders and there really has been no improvement, so we plan to take him to his normal Vet monday morning. He hasnt vomited once, and his stools have been solid. I cant even get him to play with any of his toys with me, and hes is usually super-active. We cant think of one thing that he couldve gotten into to cause this! Anyone ever seen these symptoms before? Sorry for the long rant, just worried about my Pup!

Rick

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Awwwww..... I'm sorry. I hope you figure out what's up with him soon! :frown:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Has he vomited or had diarrhea at all??
It sounds like quite possibly a blockage. Did you find ANYTHING chewed?

It could also be pancreatitis. What's his normal diet like?

silverfox302
Newborn Bully

Postby silverfox302 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:08 pm

No vomiting or diarreah at all. he has had normal stools though. He has been eating all of his meals, too.

I have been searching the house inside and out, high and low for any signs of chewed objects, or even if anything might be missing, but I cannot find a thing.

His diet is about a cup of purina one in the morning and then the same for dinner. He occasionally gets little pieces of chicken breast, steak or egg mixed in at dinner, but never a lot, just enough to give him a little variety. And I was thinking about possibly he got a little bit of a fatty piece of steak maybe, but he never gets that large of a piece.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Hmmm, that sounds strange. I would have thought a blockage too, but if he's having normal bowel movements and no vomiting that wouldn't make sense.

What about toilets? Have you cleaned any toilets (with bleach or other cleaning products) recently that he could've drank out of? Did you spray for bugs or anything recently? What about plants he could've chewed on?

Hope everything is ok! Fingers crossed!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:58 pm

Flea meds at all, lately?
Eating and drinking and going potty...yet lethargic?
Yes the vet Monday sounds like a good plan...

Oh, and it's fatty foods that can trigger pancreatitis, you may want to limit those, just in case, even if it isn't that now.

silverfox302
Newborn Bully

Postby silverfox302 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:58 pm

we havent used any chemicals in the house since earlier in the week, and we always keep the bathroom door closed so he cant get into that stuff. We did have some flowers for V-day, but it was left high up when we left, and it was all accounted for when we got back anyway.

The worst part is not knowing!! Ill let everyone know what his vet says tomorrow, unless he makes a miracle improvement tonight! :pray

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Pesticides outside? Ant or slug bait or anything? etc...

silverfox302
Newborn Bully

Postby silverfox302 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:07 pm

nope, the grounds covered in snow here, and Im always with him when hes outside, so I know hes not letting himself into the shed to get at that stuff. :)

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 am

what type of crate is it?
how is he busting out of it?
I am wondering if it could be an injury internally from busting out of his crate?
even if it isn't now, could be in the future, maybe if you tell us what type of crate it is we can offer suggestions to stop his escapes out of it

silverfox302
Newborn Bully

Postby silverfox302 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:17 am

He did have one of the airline style crates when we first got him, but he busted the door open on that. He would never do it when we were home, but as soon as we would leave he would get freaked out. Since we werent home to see it, the best we can guess is that he rams it with his head and blows the door open.
We had to replace that with an all metal crate, and as far as we can tell he has been doing the same thing. We really tried to work with him on staying in there, just leaving for a short time, then coming back. We thought he was improving, but its a slow process obviously.

One update- this morning right after we gave him his medication he threw up. :( About a half hour after that we offered him about a half of his normal portion of food (chicken and rice by Dr.'s orders) and he ate all of it and hasnt gotten sick again. We made our appt. with his normal Vet, so he will see him in about an hou
r/

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 am

He breaks out of the crate every time?
Separation anxiety causes them to shake and drool.

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jewelsdaddy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:24 am

You may have to get some metal bolt snaps from the hardware store to secure the opening(door) to the crate itself so if he jiggles the locks on crate loose it will still be secure with the bolt snaps.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. lol

I hope Gus feels better soon.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 am

jewelsdaddy wrote:You may have to get some metal bolt snaps from the hardware store to secure the opening(door) to the crate itself so if he jiggles the locks on crate loose it will still be secure with the bolt snaps.

Or zip ties. I have an escape artist that this works for.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:55 am

Return to “Health Issues”