Poo Eater - HELP

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Poo Eater - HELP

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:39 pm

First, let me say, we have a wooded back yard and much older Jasmine has been using the ivy as the bathroom place. Fine by me! Makes it a lot easier to try to de-wood the back yard without having to walk through bombs. We clean up what we see, but if it's in the ivy, it's out of my sight.

Capone the pup is a voracious eater, he'll eat all day if I let him.
But in the last few weeks since the weather is a little better he's been out foraging. At first it was cute, he'd come in with sticks and stuff. Now it's poo.

So, this is my first poo eater. How do I get him to stop? It's so gross, especially if he eats grass and then throws up. Last night he hit the couch :yucky:

uuugh, what is the best to do?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:30 pm

you can try the remedies that people suggest(that have never worked for my poop eating dogs) like feeding them pineapple, feeding them store bought crap to help stop it, feeding them meat tenderizer.....)
but unless you pick it up or take the pup out on leash so he cannot reach it, he is going to eat it if it is sitting there for him to do so.

Melissa528
Newborn Bully

Postby Melissa528 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:57 pm

My Reina eats her poop so I can feel your pain. :\ Everything I tried doesn't work... I read somewhere online to cover the poop with hot sauce so that he/she has a bad experience and doesn't WANT to eat it but IDK, I haven't tried that yet.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:45 pm

The best way to treat poo-eating is to prevent it.. by picking up the poop right away. :) Sounds like that might be quite a chore with your yard and the ivy, though!

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:57 pm

yes, easier said than done indeed!

I'd love to pick it all up, but we have deer and fox too (yeah a dream right) so the poop just keeps coming
:yipee:
not to mention the spaz just keeps finding it. Hidden for dog knows how long!

I've heard of the tenderizer and other stuff too but we tried it with one of the bassets years ago and it NEVER worked, so I'm with you on that one.

Well, I'll try the hot sauce just because I never went that route, but silly terrier just discovered he likes SOUR pickles. Not regular but sour. bleech!
He's wierd and yet likes poop.

Well please keep the ideas coming if you think of anything else. This is an interesting topic, stinky, but interesting.

TheBowie
Newborn Bully

Postby TheBowie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:06 pm

My boston mix, Olive Oyl, eats my pit bull, Edgar's, poop anytime the opportunity presents itself. And since I have a fenced yard for a reason - so I don't have to go outside with them to do their business - picking it up immediately just ain't gonna happen. Nothing I put in his food persuaded her not to eat it. So I just put a cheap, plastic, basket muzzle on her anytime she goes out in the yard unsupervised. It worked for about a month until she figured out if she just jammed her face into a fresh pile it would squoosh up thru the muzzle openings. So I fixed a solid sheet of plastic on the very end and, voila, no more poop covered muzzle or stinky breath. She can still breathe fine since her muzzle is short and there's plenty of room between it and the end of the basket, plus they are seldom out longer than it takes them to do their thing.

Unfortunately, it's done nothing to curb her desire to eradicate my yard of moles by digging open each and every tunnel.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:45 pm

I too have a poop eater. His own, the two females', he's not picky. I've tried all the "home" remedies and quite a few of the store-bought ones. Nothing worked for me except picking the poop up as it was pooped. Mmmmm, kisses.

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Poop eater here too. Tried the hotsauce, pepper etc. It works...for that poop. But then he just waits until later and finds one without it. With the 3 dogs, its hard to grab it instantly..so he gets leash walked in the yard. Bastard doesn't even LOOK at the crap when on a leash, but the 2nd you let him free, he knows RIGHT where its at.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:54 pm

TheBowie wrote:...It worked for about a month until she figured out if she just jammed her face into a fresh pile it would squoosh up thru the muzzle openings.

roflmao I imagine Capone doing this if I decided to go that route. ahhhgghhh!!

Megan wrote:Bastard doesn't even LOOK at the crap when on a leash, but the 2nd you let him free, he knows RIGHT where its at.

roflmao Ok, so now I don't feel so bad. You too have a challenge.

Alas, I guess I'm hearing what I already knew, I get to live with his 'hunger' for quite a while.

I guess it could be worse. Our dog Froggy liked to go under bushes on walks where cats lived and eat thier poop. Now that's some nasty stuff! Especially on your winter gloves. :yucky:

Well, I guess once I get over the pneumonia, I'll go out with my glove bags and start on the Great American Poo Pick-Up.

hey, maybe that could be a t-shirt :)

Thanks for the feed back everyone!

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:58 pm

LOL yup he's a challenge... There are days when we swear we picked up EVERY last peice of poop, walked the yard twice..and he'll find that one spot, that was hidden somewhere... he is such a jerk LOL.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:12 am

until she figured out if she just jammed her face into a fresh pile it would squoosh up thru the muzzle openings

easily the nastiest thing ive ever heard!! lol

...we had a rat terrier who pooped in a circle and ate it up as he went, sick little bastard! made cleanup a breeze though...apart from immediate pickup we never found a way to fix it.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:32 am

natebritchcock wrote:made cleanup a breeze though.

yeah, until they come back inside and vomit large piles of poop smelling vomit all over your bed :yucky: (that's what Marley does if he gets to eat poop)

We just try and keep the area around their tie outs really clean, and I'm always out there with them anyway, so immediate pick up is what works for us.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:28 am

oh lordy some of your stories are nasty lol
Paige will only eat poop if it is frozen, 'poopsicles' ? .

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:21 am

I watched an episode of "It's Me or the Dog" that was about poop eating. (I can't find it, now, though). First she had them clean up the yard, then she started marking the fresh poops with little flags and clickering the dogs if they left it alone, I think. Maybe you can find it!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 am

lol We have some and I agree- the most fool proof way is to pick it up right after it hits the ground.
This reminds me of Larry the Cable guy talking about the petstores with the dog water filter/purifier--the woman at the store tells Larry it purifies the dog water, he said "Purified WATER?? My dog eat's it's own POOP - do you have anything that will purify THAT??"
roflmao

Return to “Health Issues”