Ahh, Gypsy.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Ahh, Gypsy.

Postby Libby » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:52 pm

Well, Gypsy tripped and fell pretty hard about a month ago. She did a total face plant and rolled. She came up limping, and limped for a few days, so I didn't take her running or anything for several weeks. The lim went away, and she seemed ok, so I thought it was just a bruise.

Took her to play fetch againt about a week and a half ago, and it caused her to limp again, really bad. That night, she couldn't get up on the couch, so I lifted her. She jumped down, and when she landed, she yelped pretty loud and started shaking.

We went into the vet today, and its a torn muscle. The vet said the muscle is torn away from the bone on her right scapula (I think?), and that first we are going to put her on rest for the next six to eight weeks. She can go on very short, very slow walks, but thats it.

So, he sent us home with pain meds and admonishments to take it easy and he specifically said "NO RUNNING." My poor girl is going to go crazy.

What will happen if it hasn't healed in six to eight weeks? When the muscle is pulled away from the bone, is surgery a possibility?

Libby

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:47 am

Oh my goodness that does not sound good at all, I hope she heals up and no surgery is needed, I am not not sure how they fix that sort of thing.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:25 am

Poor Gypsy!!

I hope she is feeling better soon and doesn't go crazy while resting.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks guys.

I took her to play fetch yesterday before the appointment. I probably shouldn't have, since I suspected it was something like a torn muscle, but I had a feeling it would be a long time before she could play again.

My poor girl, its one thing after another :frown: She is falling apart in her old age...and young age :crybaby:

Libby

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:46 am

Ketra wrote:Thanks guys.

I took her to play fetch yesterday before the appointment. I probably shouldn't have, since I suspected it was something like a torn muscle, but I had a feeling it would be a long time before she could play again.

My poor girl, its one thing after another :frown: She is falling apart in her old age...and young age :crybaby:

Libby

Trixie is the same way. After her cruciate surgery when it rains she gets all limpy and if she runs around with Chico playing she gets really sore at night and cannot jump as well, it sucks to watch them get old and sore.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:48 am

Sending lots of healthy thoughts for Gypsy. :hug:

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:56 am

Thank you, Julie.

Lisa, how old is Trixie? Gypsy is about 4.5, so still a relatively young dog...but she was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia at 1.5 years, she blew one knee at just about 2, the other knee around 3, and now she has arthritis in both knees. AND she has a slipping hock.

Gotta thank good ol' BYB's for the great dogs they produce.

I wish I could replace everything on her and make her the bionic dog.

Libby

Return to “Health Issues”