Woodys been sick :0 (

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Woodys been sick :0 (

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Since being in my care he has gotten more and more urpy rancid burpy and now to the point of actually spitting up green bile vomity stuff.

With me he is sweet and cuddly, but in his crate he has become more and more whiney , cries and slobber ALOT , more slobber than
noise with the crying. I mean PUDDLES of slobber. PUDDLES.

history;
He has been dewormed when he left the pound months ago (august 08),
Rabies vaccine and DHLLP , neutered August.
I had him tested in November for Urinary Tract infection, just due to all the liquid in the crate, I couldnt tell if it was all slobber, and thought maybe he was leaking urine. But it tested all fine.

Since he became more symptomatic the vet re dewormed him with Drontal in January.
Then with no difference in his vomiting, she then put him on two weeks of
ammoxicllin and flagyl twice daily along with (treating for possible h-pylori or giardia)
pepcid -10 mg twice daily.
I also was giving him organic yogurt with each dose as a treat which he loved.

This was four weeks ago, and he was better for a bit, but now he is vomiting and rancid burping again,
(he is still on the pepcid)
I noticed it is green now and wether he has eaten recently or not does not seem to be a factor.
And it seems actually worse.

I worry about the little guy, he seems to be uncomfortable, hops on to the couch burrows under the comfortor
I have there into a little ball and shivers in his sleep.
I do live in Michigan and it is cold. But he seems extra cold .
I dont pet him in case his shivers are just behavior related..but I do let him cuddle into the blanket and its like a mini taz cartoon, remember how he vibrates every few seconds post spinning? Well thats Woody snoozin under the blankets.. you can feel him go on vibrate
(ok ok..hold off on the vibrating woody jokes...please.. omg I had to say that as I was typing that out loud I had to stiffle a giggle myself.. maybe I should not of named him Woody..lol )

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences that might help him. I have been calling the vet leaving messages that he is getting
worse, but I think pound dogs arent top priority.
All these meds worry me that we may be making him WORSE.
I have changed foods a few times. But nothing seems to make a difference.
He has had Science Diet where I worried the corn could be a trigger
(its pound food and supplied to us)
then Innova (no difference if not worse)
now he is Nutru Chicken , Oatmeal easily digestable and he is urping and burping worse. And yes I give each food weeks to take hole..this bag he is on week two of.

The pepcid does seem to help a BIT, but not really..as he is now back to upchucking stinky rancid uckies...

Is there help for our Woody? My happy go lucky puppy isnt very happy go lucky any more. :frown:
*sigh*

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Damn! I don't have any advice. He's such a handsome dude. Hugs to you and Woody and I hope you figure something out soon. :hug:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Beowulf wrote:Damn! I don't have any advice. He's such a handsome dude. Hugs to you and Woody and I hope you figure something out soon. :hug:

me too.. we are heading into that grey zone in foster dogs..how much do you test..how much do you treat.
We were hoping the meds and pepcid might hit the culprit.

One thing, as a disclaimer, as I am one dog over limit having him here doesnt make a difference with the death row dogs. So that does buy him time. So even if he wasnt here, there wouldnt be another dog pulled.

I just felt the need to say that as he is a pound dog. :frown:

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Awe Woody.

I was thinking pepcid, but you are already trying that. Lots of people have recommended slippery elm to my guy for nausea. I wonder if that would help Woody?

You said he is a pound dog, did you pull him recently? Have you had him when the weather was warm? I am wondering if the shivering is temperature related. My two are obsessed with blankets as well. Lily will not stand on the wood floors in the winter. She goes from our bed, to the couch, to her crate, to her random beds (all which have at least one blanket on them at all times). She will only sit on the rug, never the bare floor, and that is only if you are getting her food ready. Max on the other hand loves his space heater.
- just went back and read that you pulled him in August, did he shiver then?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:54 pm

ilikelily wrote:Awe Woody.

I was thinking pepcid, but you are already trying that. Lots of people have recommended slippery elm to my guy for nausea. I wonder if that would help Woody?

You said he is a pound dog, did you pull him recently? Have you had him when the weather was warm? I am wondering if the shivering is temperature related. My two are obsessed with blankets as well. Lily will not stand on the wood floors in the winter. She goes from our bed, to the couch, to her crate, to her random beds (all which have at least one blanket on them at all times). She will only sit on the rug, never the bare floor, and that is only if you are getting her food ready. Max on the other hand loves his space heater.
- just went back and read that you pulled him in August, did he shiver then?

I was reading that slippery elm from your thread the other day.
But need to look into slippery elm a bit more.. I thought that could influence the liver..but dont qoute me on that one...

He does seem to really HATE the cold..but now wondering if his intolerance is a bit more sinister.. I think most the pits and bullys that come thru here HATE the cold..but not shivering like he does for long periods of time when sleeping.

i dunno
I am just so worried......

Zay
Newborn Bully

Postby Zay » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Maybe try a single source protein food like Natural Balance Duck and potatoes or fish and sweet potatoes. Taste of the wild also has a pacific stream version that is salmon and potatoes/sweet potatoes. I have had similiar issues with Zay regurgitating/vomiting and eventually switched him to raw. He did very well on raw but for various reasons we have recently switched to taste of the wild pacific stream and he is not regurgitating on it - but it seems as if he starting to get itchy again. He had been on Innova before and did not tolerate that well at all. Good luck to you and Woody!

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:36 pm

Is it normally in the morning that he is urpy? If so it could be the acid build up in the stomach and he needs a late night meal or snack to help with it, also the Pepcid is a great idea.

Also I would try a single protein food in case it is food allergies. Remember it can take 6wks on a new food to see any difference.

Hope that helps

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:52 pm

Stacy I also suggest the use slippery elm AND probiotics both.(just using yogurt is not enough probiotics after bieng on anitbiotis)
I was reading the other day(but forogt where) when a dog has been on anitbiotics, then they need probiotics for 6 (six) months afterwards to restore all the good gut bacteria
Here is a good link abut Slippery Elm for you too:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:18 pm

thanks pblove.
And jtalt7 it seems 24/7 regardless of when his meals are or activity.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 am

Poor little guy. Hoping you find something to give his tummy some relief. Poundpup or not your vet needs to return calls.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:20 am

:hug:

I am thinking good thoughts for you and Woody.
Has he had a CBC at all? Just to see if things are normal?
You know Sid doesn't tolerate the cold well at all, but shivering while sleeping seems quite extreme.
Good luck with the slippery elm. Probiotics are a good suggestion too, seeing that he's been on antibiotics, which mess up the GI tract. We use primal defense for Sidney every morning, but I'm not sure where you can get it here.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 am

julie64 wrote:Poor little guy. Hoping you find something to give his tummy some relief. Poundpup or not your vet needs to return calls.

Yah.. If she doesnt call back today I am going to just book an appt with her and bring him back out.

And no Allie we did not do a CBC or a chem profile, I did have that big thyroid test done at MSU for him, for he was displaying some other signs that could of been that Anti-thyroid something or nuther. That all came back negative.

I am thinking we might want to do a chem profile and probably a CBC to but to look at liver functions and etc.

But something definatly just isnt right with him and it hasnt been for way too long now.
:frown:

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:34 am

Sending positive vibes to you and the gorgeous Woody. Get well little boy!

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:46 am

:hug:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:50 am

Thanks for the karma and hugs. I cant think of this without getting emotional (bad foster mommy), But he is is such a sweetie.
No one is going to want to adopt a vomiting urping rancid burping pit bull mix with a constant vet bill who slobbers 1/4 cup or more in his crate every day (if not more than...)..... no matter how cute and cuddly he is.
(and no he cant stay forever with me either, Scooter already has cashed in the golden ticket..) :frown:

Return to “Health Issues”