Woodys been sick :0 (

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:38 am

luvnstuff wrote:He thinks his system is "inflammed" and could all be anxiety based.
It kind of seems we are at which came first the chicken or the egg.
is anxiety creating the tummy issue, or is the tummy issue creating the anxiety.

I think for some dogs the two are not really able to be disentangled from each other. Homeopathy does a pretty good job of putting this in a frame work of personality types being inherently linked to certain areas of "weakness" (for lack of a better word at the moment) in the physical body.

My experience though, is that you just have to work on both aspects simultaneously and, at all costs, try not to let yourself mirror stress back at the dog, if that makes sense.

luvnstuff wrote:I am going to get some of the slippery elm and look into more holistic approach/treatments.

Slippery elm is really my favorite herb ever. It works really, really well. Active Manuka Honey may also help with the vomiting/regurgitation and I've had quite a bit of success with l-glutamine with regards to inflammation.

You might also want to look into flower essences and/or a DAP diffuser.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:52 am

In the mean time while you research homeopathic remedies for your guy you may consider getting a lavender scented plugin air freshener to use in your home, look for one that has the essential oil in it. Lavender has a very nice calming soothing effect on both humans and dogs. Good luck, stick with it, i'm sure you'll find the answer to get him back on his feet!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:12 am

pitgrrl wrote:
luvnstuff wrote:He thinks his system is "inflammed" and could all be anxiety based.
It kind of seems we are at which came first the chicken or the egg.
is anxiety creating the tummy issue, or is the tummy issue creating the anxiety.

I think for some dogs the two are not really able to be disentangled from each other. Homeopathy does a pretty good job of putting this in a frame work of personality types being inherently linked to certain areas of "weakness" (for lack of a better word at the moment) in the physical body.

My experience though, is that you just have to work on both aspects simultaneously and, at all costs, try not to let yourself mirror stress back at the dog, if that makes sense.

luvnstuff wrote:I am going to get some of the slippery elm and look into more holistic approach/treatments.

Slippery elm is really my favorite herb ever. It works really, really well. Active Manuka Honey may also help with the vomiting/regurgitation and I've had quite a bit of success with l-glutamine with regards to inflammation.

You might also want to look into flower essences and/or a DAP diffuser.

yes that makes total sense.
thanks very much for your insight.

ACtive Manuka Honey? Is that available at health food stores?

Have you ever tried or heard of "touch" therapy.. or T-Touch I think its called? Its supposed to help an animal connect/mind and body , like with Woody when he stresses out, he may have a "disconnect" ?

bigbadpitbull I LOVE lavender.. but so many are UCK UCK UCK high perfume/synthetic ones .. which I HATE .. do you know of a GOOD brand of a "real" essential oil lavender plug in?

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:46 am

luvnstuff wrote:
yes that makes total sense.
thanks very much for your insight.

ACtive Manuka Honey? Is that available at health food stores?

Have you ever tried or heard of "touch" therapy.. or T-Touch I think its called? Its supposed to help an animal connect/mind and body , like with Woody when he stresses out, he may have a "disconnect" ?

I've read a lot about TTouch and spoken with a woman who practices it here, but I've never actually had it done on Streets beyond my own, probably totally wrong, attempts. There's a book that I see used pretty often which does a really good job of explaining what TTouch is and has a whole sort of "how-to" section.

Active Manuka honey is available and most health food stores, but not all. The price, at least here, can vary pretty greatly too, so I called around to a bunch of stores to find the cheapest price. I use +12 potency and have had really good results from it.

The l-glutamine is really helpful if your seeing loose/mucousy/bloody stool and/or other indications of inflammation in the intestine/colon.

If it helps at all, the supplements Streets takes are the following:

Slippery elm (only as needed)
fish oil
l-glutamine
alfalfa
digestive enzymes
Active Manuka honey (20-30 minutes before meals)

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:30 pm

very, very interesting information pitgrrl

I don't have anything of relevance to add. If you happen to run across any supplements or herbs that you would like to try and can not find- let me know, I will be restocking Max's new collection every couple weeks at the herbalist and I would be happy to pick something up for you.

The lavender is a good idea too!

Good luck, hope his tummy calms down soon.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:58 pm

You can buy lavender essential oil and then buy a ceramic ring that sits on a light bulb, or the kind that uses a tea light below or even spritz it around.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 am

Stacy I took a T-Touch (it was a Linda Tellington-Jones)seminar years ago and have used it on my horses and dogs for years. It is easy to learn/

LoveFiona
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby LoveFiona » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:20 pm

LuckyVitamin.com has excellent prices on essential oils, supplements, etc. A little lavender essence goes a long, long way for us. I hope poor Woody feels better soon!

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:24 pm

pblove wrote:Stacy I took a T-Touch (it was a Linda Tellington-Jones)seminar years ago and have used it on my horses and dogs for years. It is easy to learn/

Is this something you can write out to tell us how it's done or do you have to show people. Come on Sharon make us a video showing the process :)

Stacie, I hope Woody is feeling better soon.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 pm

redmoss
Adolescent Bully

Postby redmoss » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:35 am

I used an anxiety wrap for my thunder/firework phobic, all around sensitive dog with good results.

http://www.anxietywrap.com

Having her wear a tightly fitted dog shirt by Charming also seemed to do the trick in making her feel at ease. (I just checked their site; it seems they're no longer available.)

You may want to try a child's t-shirt to see if it offers him any comfort.

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:28 am

Any updates? Hope the lil guy is doing better........

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:32 am

Well my lil cuddle bug is offically off antibiotics, he still has some of that surca-something liquid to coat his tummy, and some bene-bac (probitic paste) .
So I am trying to get a real reading of where we are at before adding something the mix.
I am going to get some of the slippery elm to have on hand.

He was urping and rancid burping last night, and I can smell it on occassion in his crate room.

His crate is soaked every night (i have down papers-he eats any fabric I put in there), I dont know what is puke, upchuck , or urine. it seems to be urine lately, I dont know why he isnt holding it. he seems ABLE to, but I think in the morning as I begin to shuffle dogs , (they all go out one at a time) he gets impatient and piddles...

I havent called the Reiki lady yet..and am getting ready to go on an almost weeks vacation..oh egads.. (last real vacation was 4 years ago)

I am panicked about leaving, leaving him, he is going to a home where there wont be any other dogs, but the person isnt dog "savy" ..but my babysitters who usually take my dogs, well, the guy panics Woody, he is too "tough" on him and I dont think Woody can take the stress right now.
(this is the same person who dropped him off at the vet last and Woody melted down all day)
I dont usually condone catering to a dogs emotions. But this time I am.

So we will see how everyone fares, while I am gone. If he totally looses it , then maybe we will have some answers on that spectrum.

With me he is still super funny, cuddly, the other day he lept up, flopped upside down beside me, like a curly bug.. on his back, head flopped over the couch, back feet folded over his head.. it was seriously hilarous.
And then slept just like that..

He seems to be able to bond to me.. which of course worries me he is one of those "one people dogs" ...not good, he can not stay.

His medicals.. I dont know..its still which came first or how to get his anxiety to a level to accept life if this is the real cause.

I still have a gut feeling , that a dog that switches personality so 100 % even as it matures, that something just isnt right.

Guess I will have to re evaulate when I get back from Vacation in April , maybe take him to my other vet at the critter hospital if I can drum up the funds myself., for some further testing.
I dunno...
I tell people all the time "Follow your gut" but does one's heart sometimes block the true gut feelings?? ?

So for now, he is happy , and doing "ok"

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:44 pm

I really hope these meds work for him. I'm glad you are leaving him with someone who will not stress him out, Woody needs a softer approach.

Hope you have a great vacation!

Return to “Health Issues”