communication with TOTW (Diamond)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

communication with TOTW (Diamond)

Postby luvmybulls » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:26 pm

I send them an email trying to get a guarantee against the use of ethoxyquin. I WAS thinking of switching. The following is what I received.

The preservation systems used by our vendors are considered proprietary information. However, we know that the heat from our pet food process destroys antioxidants that are used in the ingredients that we purchase. After the heat process (extrusion and drying), we apply natural tocopherols (Vitamins A & E) in order to carry the shelf life of the food. The cooking process at our facilities is at or above 240 degrees. If there were any ethoxyquin in the ingredients it would be eliminated due to its lack of heat stability. Diamond does not preserve any of its products with ethoxyquin, only with mixed tocopherols.

Some general comments about ethoxyquin:

Although we do not use it, when it is used as an anti-oxidant (to prevent rancidity), as soon as it is added, it begins to oxidize ("to be used up"). Heat and moisture greatly expedite the oxidation. Pet food manufacturing processes typically utilize heat and moisture. The use of ethoxyquin is approved as an anti-oxidant in pet foods and the levels are specified. This information is available on the FDA site.

Since ethoxyquin is an anti-oxidant, its use in reference to preventing cancer has been published and can be found on PubMed searches.

Quality Control Manager

Diamond Pet Foods

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Is TOW made by diamond or just distributed by them? I didnt think they actually made the food..........Did I miss something?

Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:04 am

jtalt7 wrote:Is TOW made by diamond or just distributed by them? I didnt think they actually made the food..........Did I miss something?

X2 Maybe I was wrong :frown:

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:15 pm

I think Diamond does now manufacture TOTW. I looked at this when they announced that TOTW was becoming part of Diamond but I cannot seem to find anymore info now. I remember reading what looked to be some sort of press release from Diamond. I was kind of freaked out by the change but decided to keep with TOTW and I haven't had any problems with the kibble.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:14 pm

There are a lot of reviews on TOTW. Many people were hesitant about feeding it to their dogs because of the recall but feedback has been nothing but positive about the food and Diamond's standards for health concerns.

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 pm

My reason for not feeding it is ethoxyquin. They don't allow it in human food so I will not feed it to my pups. Maybe I'm wrong but I will not take that chance to save a few bucks.

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:22 pm

From the FDA. I didn't know they regulated or even cared about pet foods.

Some consumers try to avoid pet foods with synthetic preservatives, such as butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), and ethoxyquin. Ethoxyquin, in particular, has been hotly debated. Current scientific data suggest that ethoxyquin is safe, but some pet owners avoid this additive because of a suspected link to liver damage and other health problems in dogs. CVM has asked pet food producers to voluntarily lower their maximum level of ethoxyquin in dog food while more studies are being conducted on this preservative, and the industry is cooperating.

Many products preserved with naturally occurring compounds, such as tocopherols (vitamin E) or vitamin C, are available. These products have a much shorter shelf life than those with synthetic preservatives, especially once a bag of food is opened.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2001/301_pet.html

Return to “Health Issues”