Supplements / Fish Oil

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
nyvan
Newborn Bully

Supplements / Fish Oil

Postby nyvan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:36 pm

Anyone can recommend any fish oil brands? Or good supplements..Has anyone tried using Wysong EFA w/ fish oil?

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:49 am

The Kirkland brand fish oil capsules is a very good brand. Although I switched to Carson's liquid fish oil a while ago as I got sick of giving so many pills each day and popping them and putting them on her food is too stinky. The Carlson's is much more concentrated too.

http://apn-health-beauty.stores.yahoo.n ... ilco1.html

http://www.wellnesstrader.com/supplemen ... sh-oil-200

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:04 am

I buy Spring Valley Omega 3 fish oil 1000mg capsules at Wal-Mart. For a twin pack(200 count) it cost around $6.00.

titan
Newborn Bully

Postby titan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:51 am

I use and sell Sea pet

mongfu
Newborn Bully

Postby mongfu » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:07 am

Get "Carlsons" or "Nordic naturals". Both brands are regulary tested for Mercury. They are human quality, any supplemets for humans or dogs from places like wallgreens, cvs, your local market, costco, sams club etc are inferior crap, not to mention the beneficial properties of the fish oil are destroyed from oxidation from heat, light or too much time on store shelves. . Go to a whole foods or get online. Also, get liquid and start at a teaspoon and work up to 1-2 tablespoons per day on food, if they will eat it.. (you end up getting ripped off with capsules) It sounds like a lot but not really. This is for an average 60 lb dog.

mongfu
Newborn Bully

Postby mongfu » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 am

Sorry for the typos!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:52 am

We've been using Grizzly Salmon Oil, it comes in a pump dispenser and you have to keep it refrigerated:

http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com/index.html

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:37 pm

we have been using VRG Organics for a long time and have been very happy with it.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:09 pm

mongfu wrote:Get "Carlsons" or "Nordic naturals". Both brands are regulary tested for Mercury. They are human quality, any supplemets for humans or dogs from places like wallgreens, cvs, your local market, costco, sams club etc are inferior crap, not to mention the beneficial properties of the fish oil are destroyed from oxidation from heat, light or too much time on store shelves.

Actually, the reason I started using the Costco Kirkland brand was because my vet read in a Consumer Reports that it was one of the top brands tested for accuracy and actually having in it what it claimed on the label. Even compared to the more expensive brands. Trader Joe's fish oil capsules scored high too. But I do agree that Carlson's or Nordic Natural's are best which is another reason I switched. But if someone is trying to stay on a budget the Costco brand is a decent option.

titan
Newborn Bully

Heavy description

Postby titan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Sea Pet description:
Sea Pet Omega 3 Fish Oil provides pure, medicinal grade Omega 3 essential fatty acids from molecularly distilled, cold-processed fish oils - (sardines and/or anchovies). Omega 3 fish oils are naturally in the form of EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid).

* Promote Superb Skin
* Create Glistening Coat
* Natural Anti-Inflammatory Agent
* Reduce the Risk Of Heart Disease

No conversion is needed when using Omega 3 fatty acids from fish oils.

The Omega 3 oil from plant sources, such as flaxseed, is in the form of Alpha-linolenic Acid (LNA). LNA needs to be converted to EPA and DHA in order to be utilized by your pet. This conversion, however, is extremely inefficient -- 10 grams of LNA are required to convert to just one gram of EPA. Plant sources of Omega 3 are an extremely inefficient means for your pet to receive the essential fatty acids that they need.

Essential Fatty Acids, such as EPA & DHA, serve a number of major vital functions in the body. They are required for the transport and metabolism of both cholesterol and triglycerides. They are required for normal brain development and brain function. They are required in visual function (retina), brain and nerve function (synapses), and adrenal function. They are required in the structure of the membranes that surround each cell in our body. They stimulate metabolism, increase metabolic rate, increase oxygen uptake, and increase energy production. They slow down growth of cancer cells.

DHA (from fish oil) has been shown to be a key in neural development. Research, unveiled at the 2004 American Veterinary Medical Association convention, examined the role DHA (a long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid) - plays in puppies' neural development.

The research shows "that puppies nourished with enhanced (high) levels of dietary docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) were smarter, more trainable than typical-DHA (low-DHA) nourished puppies."

DHA is one of the most abundant fatty acids in the brain, and thought to be vital for mental function. DHA has long been praised as a wonder nutrient for human infants and now it's been found to boost healthy brain development in puppies.

DHA, and its companion, EPA, are the forms of omega-3 essential fatty acids naturally available in fish oils -- for optimum utilization.

Vegetable oils, such as flaxseed, provide a different form of omega 3 (alpha-linolenic acid) - not DHA.

"Findings from the research indicate dietary DHA level is a key determinant of success, with the performance of the enhanced-DHA puppies being superior in the maze testing, compared with the typical-DHA nourished puppies, and ... demonstrated superior memories and a higher receptivity to training, confirming the importance of DHA in healthy brain development."

Your dogs want to learn and to please you. And you can help them to better understand and learn what you are teaching! You will all be so much happier.

Younger dogs or older dogs, active dogs or less active dogs -- it is never too late to supplement your pets with omega-3 essential fatty acids.

EPA
New research shows that EPA (from fish oil) can reduce the activity of one of the major enzymes (aggrecanase) that has been shown to erode joint cartilage. By decreasing the activity of this enzyme Sea Pet Gold can help to restore your pet's joint health and mobility -- providing your pet with more ease of joint movement.

EPA also converts to series 3 prostaglandins, which have many benefits. They regulate inflammatory responses (Skin and Joint). They regulate immune function, which can help in fighting disease more effectively. They regulate platelet stickiness. They regulate arterial muscle tone, which involves blood pressure regulation.

It is the amount of EPA and DHA that benefits your pets - not just the amount of omega 3 !
LOOK FOR THE EPA AND DHA CONTENT.

These are necessary and essential fatty acids for your pets. In fish oil, these essential fatty acids are in the form that is biologically available to your pet - for optimum effectiveness.

Each teaspoon provides 810 mg EPA and 540 mg of DHA. Each bottle contains approximately 48 teaspoons.

All Sea Pet omega-3 fish oils are completely tested for heavy metals, PCBs, furans, dioxin and other toxins. Sea Pet surpasses all national and international standards for purity.

Ingredients: molecularly-distilled, cold-processed fish oil (sardines and/or anchovies)

To ensure freshness, all bottles of Sea Pet fish oils are flushed with nitrogen during the filling process.

Better than Salmon and Cod liver Oil In DHA & EPA

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:03 pm

you also have to give Vit E when givig fish oil ( but do not remember the dosage per pound)
I have read that it is better to use individual vitamin capsules as the caps stay fresher longer comparded to a large or pump bottle.

nyvan
Newborn Bully

Postby nyvan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:08 am

why the vitamin E when taking fish oil? is that the same case for humans?

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:23 am

The body uses Vit E to process fish oil and the idea is that you then need to add more Vit E. I used to give a few 400 IU capsules a week but I stopped doing that. My vet is very knowledgeable about nutrition and said it wasn't necessary but I can give her a couple a week if I want to. I stopped supplementing with the E last year and haven't noticed a difference. Lila eats a raw diet though so maybe if a dog is on kibble it's different? I personally think it depends on how much you are supplementing. Also I give the minimum 1000mg fish oil per 20 lbs. If you give more fish oil than that maybe the Vit E is in order.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:31 am

First and foremost is fish oil, a source of the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA that reduce inflammation and provide other benefits to the body. Be sure to use fish body oil, such as salmon oil or EPA oil, not liver oil, which is high in vitamins A and D and lower in omega-3 fatty acids. (Also, liver oil would be dangerous at the high doses needed to fight inflammation).

Most fish oil gelcaps contain 300 mg combined EPA and DHA, and you can give as much as 1 of these gelcaps per 10 lbs of body weight daily, preferably split into two doses. If using a more concentrated product, containing 500 mg EPA/DHA, give 1 gelcap per 15-20 lbs of body weight daily. If using liquid fish oil, adjust the dosage so that you are giving up to 300 mg combined EPA/DHA per 10 lbs of body weight, and be sure to keep the product refrigerated so that it doesn’t become rancid.

You must supplement with vitamin E as well whenever you are giving oils, as otherwise the body will be depleted of this vitamin. Give around 100 IU to a small dog, 200 IU to a medium-sized dog, or 400 IU to a large dog daily or every other day. Vitamin E in high doses also has some anti-inflammatory effect.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:41 pm

Get "Carlsons" or "Nordic naturals". Both brands are regulary tested for Mercury. They are human quality, any supplemets for humans or dogs from places like wallgreens, cvs, your local market, costco, sams club etc are inferior crap, not to mention the beneficial properties of the fish oil are destroyed from oxidation from heat, light or too much time on store shelves.

I have been worried about this for a few days, the Mercury, at least, so I went and grabbed the bottle of Kirkland (CostCo) softgels I bought. A friend with a CostCo membership took me there a few months ago so I could get a famous $18 dog bed and I bought these too, they were a great deal:

Kirkland Signature Natural Fish Oil Omega 3 Concentrate
1000 mg Concentrated Fish Oil with 300 mg EPA/DHA and other Omega-3 Fatty Acids

They are "USP tested and verified ingredients, potency, and manufacturing process."

"Kirkland Signature Fish Oil supply comes from deep ocean waters. Our fish oil is not supplied from farm raised fish. State-of-the-art molecular distillation is used to remove PCBs and dioxins which guarantees purity and potency. Mercury undetectable."

The bottle I bought says "Freshness and Potency Guaranteed Through July 2011," they will be long gone by then. lol

I feel a little better. I used to use the Grizzly Salmon Oil and for a while got a great deal on Timberwolf Salmon Oil, but these are admittedly pretty pricey.

Return to “Health Issues”