Supplements / Fish Oil

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bluesdad
Newborn Bully

Postby bluesdad » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:12 pm

i use fish oil caps from CVS and have not seen much results i will make the switch imm.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:18 pm

bluesdad wrote:i use fish oil caps from CVS and have not seen much results i will make the switch imm.

what do you want to switch to?

I use GNC as they are one of the few that already have the added Vit E in them are 1000 mg Concentrated Fish Oil with 300 mg EPA/DHA, and other Omega-3 Fatty Acids , cholesterol free, are tested for freshness, purity and potency by an independent FDA registered lab and found to be free of detectable levels of mercury, codmium, lead and PCB's and have a freshness and potency guarantee too.

bluesdad
Newborn Bully

Postby bluesdad » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:43 pm

i think ill go with the GNC brand you use i have a good friend that works at one.ive been there dozens of times and never seen it.thx

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:49 am

I have been wanting to give Lars fish oil because I heard it would help with his terrible dandruff. He weighs 25lbs. I think I am going to go with the Costco brand because it's easy to get and inexpensive. I didn't know about the additional vitamin E requirements. How much oil and Vitamin E should he be getting at 25lbs/15 weeks? If there a certain dose/pound that I should know so I can adjust accordingly as he grows? Thanks!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:50 am

UnconventionalLove wrote:I have been wanting to give Lars fish oil because I heard it would help with his terrible dandruff. He weighs 25lbs. I think I am going to go with the Costco brand because it's easy to get and inexpensive. I didn't know about the additional vitamin E requirements. How much oil and Vitamin E should he be getting at 25lbs/15 weeks? If there a certain dose/pound that I should know so I can adjust accordingly as he grows? Thanks!

if you look on the first page, I posted all that info about dosages.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:06 pm

These are the ones I use. I also order my coconut oil from them.

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=7257&at=0

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:58 am

pblove wrote:
UnconventionalLove wrote:I have been wanting to give Lars fish oil because I heard it would help with his terrible dandruff. He weighs 25lbs. I think I am going to go with the Costco brand because it's easy to get and inexpensive. I didn't know about the additional vitamin E requirements. How much oil and Vitamin E should he be getting at 25lbs/15 weeks? If there a certain dose/pound that I should know so I can adjust accordingly as he grows? Thanks!

if you look on the first page, I posted all that info about dosages.

Ah, well aparently I am blind!

What do you mean by small, medium, and large size dogs here?

You must supplement with vitamin E as well whenever you are giving oils, as otherwise the body will be depleted of this vitamin. Give around 100 IU to a small dog, 200 IU to a medium-sized dog, or 400 IU to a large dog daily or every other day. Vitamin E in high doses also has some anti-inflammatory effect.

Thats kind of vague and I would hate to give him too much or not enough and have bad results :(

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:45 am

However you do it add gradually so he doesn't get diarrhea.

Generally a pit bull is considered a medium breed. If it were me I would do 1,000mg with morning meal and 1,000 mg with dinner. Each pill is 1,000 mg. I would do 200 i.u vitamin e every other day. When he gains more you can do 200 i.u daily. I know some people have said they can't find 200 i.u vitamin e pills. I get mine at Walgereens no problem. They have buy one get one free all the time.

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:41 pm

This is what I came up with while searching for Vitamin E dosage.

Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin stored in the liver.Like other fat-soluble vitamins A, D, and K, if one exceeds optimal doses, the potential for long-term toxicity arises; therefore more caution needs to be used when giving fat-soluble vitamins.More is definitely not better.

Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant.It is useful in preventing and slowing the development of cataracts, heart conditions and other muscle disorders; chronic skin problems, immune mediated disorders.

Vit E Doses for healthy dogs and range from 100-400 IU once or twice daily by mouth depending on size. Dosage for unhealthy dogs will vary with size, definiency, medical condition, other drugs administered, etc. Consult your veterinarian. Immune-mediated skin disease often requires 400-600 IU twice daily.

Small Breeds – Up to 20 lbs (9kg)
50-100 IU once daily

Medium – 20-50 lbs or 9kg –22.8kg
100-200 IU once daily

Large- 50-100lb or 22.8 – 45kg
200-400 IU once daily

Giant – over 100lb or over 45 kg
400- 600 IU once daily

http://www.vetslovepets.com/articles/31 ... Page1.html

Return to “Health Issues”