A look from the inside out...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
apbtgurl
Adolescent Bully

A look from the inside out...

Postby apbtgurl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:04 pm

I already posted about Narnia's OFA results coming back as good and her elbows normal. Well yesterday Crystal (innocence621) and I brought our girls in for their OFA x-rays. I already understand that the position could be better but neither of my girls were sediated as that is a requirement for me having them done so I had to compromise when it comes to positioning.

Here are Narnia's results for comparison purposes:
Elbows (normal):

Hips (good):

Little B's X-rays:
Elbows:

Hips:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:49 pm

I think Little B has a little less coverage of the femoral head, both dogs look very nice and tight. I would like to see Pennhips on those dogs, I bet you'd get some nice numbers. You'd have to sedate them (and spend 100's of dollars more). Those are certainly joints that would allow a dog to be bred or worked (all other criterion being met).
Congratulations.

apbtgurl
Adolescent Bully

Postby apbtgurl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Leslie H wrote:I think Little B has a little less coverage of the femoral head, both dogs look very nice and tight. I would like to see Pennhips on those dogs, I bet you'd get some nice numbers. You'd have to sedate them (and spend 100's of dollars more). Those are certainly joints that would allow a dog to be bred or worked (all other criterion being met).
Congratulations.

Thanks! Let's hope she does well this year at the UKC pulls. I more excited about that than finishing her conformation title (which hopefully she'll get this Spring so I can focus solely on weight pulling her)!!

I did Pennhip on my boerboel and she just wasn't the same for a good two weeks. Scared me to death so I've decided to stay away from sediation. Though this vet, a much better vet IMO, stated that they probably didn't use the correct amount of sediation as many overdose large breeds such as mastiffs. *sigh*

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Some individual dogs, as well as some breeds, are very sensitive to anesthesia. When we purchased a great pyrenees as a therapy dog for my work, the breeder stressed that they were very sensitive, and should only get 1/3 the dose.

apbtgurl
Adolescent Bully

Postby apbtgurl » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:12 pm

Leslie H wrote:Some individual dogs, as well as some breeds, are very sensitive to anesthesia. When we purchased a great pyrenees as a therapy dog for my work, the breeder stressed that they were very sensitive, and should only get 1/3 the dose.

I know that I chance not receiving the highest score possible by going without sediation but that chance is worth it to avoid sediation.

It is scary to think that you trust a vet with your dog such as my boerboel and your work's great pyrenees and they don't even know the proper amount of dosage to give them. When I told my vet about it he proceeded to tell me horror stories of other vets (he didn't mention any names) and how they overdosed large breeds (w/ sediatives and pain meds) and how so many of the dogs had complications to include death.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:17 pm

Its absolute BALOGNEY to think a breeder knows better than a vet how to dose a dog with anesthetic drugs...

The last dog I saw who took days to recover from anesthesia had a portosystemic liver shunt.

If you're worried about the sedation, request your vet use a reversible anesthetic. Getting hip films is very uncomfortable for many dogs, especially with the exact positioning required for these types of films. For young dogs who don't want to hold still and we can't explain why its so important, its really not fair to them to pin them down with sandbags and hold their legs tight until your hands hurt.

Looking at the quality of your films, I have a feeling these particular dogs did not need sedation, but generalizations like those stated above really get me going....

As for the films, I agree with Leslie H. Narnia's hips are fantastic, but Little B's have noticeably less femoral head coverage. They're still greater than 50% however, so I expect you'll get a good rating. I'm surprised Narnia didn't get an excellent, those are some of the better hips I've seen... but I'm no radiologist either.

I'm terrible at evaluating elbows, so I won't comment on them. Elbows have subtle changes that I'm just not qualified to pick up on. I send all my elbow films to a radiologist unless the problem is obvious.

apbtgurl
Adolescent Bully

Postby apbtgurl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:38 pm

Thank you for taking a look at them.

I will clarify that our vet has the option of sediation but my preference is if they can get clear radiographs w/o it than please do so. There are no sandbags used at this vet either just some really patient vet techs.

Now the hard part....the wait! :)

Return to “Health Issues”