What the vet said about Kirkland dog food...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

What the vet said about Kirkland dog food...

Postby UnconventionalLove » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:37 pm

So I took Lars to a new vet today for booster shots and when he asked what I was feeding him I told him that he was on Canidae ALS but we recently switched to the cheaper and equally as good Kirkland Brand Puppy formula.
He then told me that Kirkland has way too much salt, not enough 'digestible proteins' and that I should switch him to large breed growth control science diet. I then told him that I didn't like science diet because the first 5 ingredients include corn, by-products, animal fat and soy. Then he went off on how some companies try to make it seem like those ingredients are bad when really they are good. He finally ended his lecture saying "I wish I got kickbacks from science diet for selling their products, but I don't". I don't but any of it and I think he is a liar lol what is your opinion?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:38 pm

He then told me that Kirkland has way too much salt, not enough 'digestible proteins' and that I should switch him to large breed growth control science diet.

HA!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:40 pm

roflmao

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:40 pm

Yea, needless to say we are going to find a new vet, for the 3rd time...ugh.

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Re: What the vet said about Kirkland dog food...

Postby dawnapbt » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:44 pm

UnconventionalLove wrote:So I took Lars to a new vet today for booster shots and when he asked what I was feeding him I told him that he was on Canidae ALS but we recently switched to the cheaper and equally as good Kirkland Brand Puppy formula.
He then told me that Kirkland has way too much salt, not enough 'digestible proteins' and that I should switch him to large breed growth control science diet. I then told him that I didn't like science diet because the first 5 ingredients include corn, by-products, animal fat and soy. Then he went off on how some companies try to make it seem like those ingredients are bad when really they are good. He finally ended his lecture saying "I wish I got kickbacks from science diet for selling their products, but I don't". I don't but any of it and I think he is a liar lol what is your opinion?

I'd like to know the SOURCE Of his information that Kirkland has too much salt and not enough "digestible proteins." (I'm not even sure how proteins become INDIGESTIBLE!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:47 pm

UnconventionalLove wrote:Yea, needless to say we are going to find a new vet, for the 3rd time...ugh.

I'd not let a dietary disagreement keep me from going to a vet. I just shrug and wave my hand if they try to tell me what to feed, well, heck, they don't as a rule.
It was our vet (who sell and carry SD) who explained Veronica was having allergies to what we were feeding - Kirkland - and to try Natural Balance or another duck/potato LID type food.
She knows what we do and knows we're not going to spend whatever it is, $50-60/bag for SD.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:55 pm

we just started Wyatt on the NB LID venison and potato, and he's doing well on it so far....he's having the kind of gas that after he farts he gets up and leaves the room (little bastard) lol see what happens after he's been on it for a while.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:00 am

Gas was one of Ronnie's symptoms before the switch :dunno:

To the OP, just tell your vet, "I like how my dog looks and this food's working out great", if they get all pissy, that's the time to switch.
As long as you're confident in your choice, they should not pressure you to switch.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:47 am

I'm a vet, and I just switched my dog to Kirkland... I would also like to know where he got his figures on the amount of salt and protein digestability

Protein CAN be poorly digestable based on its source and how it is processed.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:50 am

Well, we are going to a new vet not just because of the food. My mom recently got a pom mix and brought her in as well (I wasn't there).
Before the appointments were made I called and asked how much the first appointment with shots/worming would be for my mom's pup. They said thats a 'puppy package' that costs $45 and that was the least expensive place in town so I made our appointments.
Then my mom brings her pup in and the vet does all sorts of extra things to the puppy, and my mom, not knowing any better (she thought it was all part of the ' $45 puppy package') lets him give some nose drop things (we still don't know what that was for) a nail trim (she didn't need) a fecal float (not necessary) and gave my mom some eye drops for her because she has slightly teary eyes (which I thought was common in small breeds but the vet said thats a "myth" that "people around town need to stop spreading"). Then when they asked my mom for $120 she was very upset because the vet never asked or specified that what he was doing would be extra. They then said they would credit her back and the appointment came to $45. Then today my mom finds out that by "credit" her they didn't mean credit her bank account the money back (she discovered this after a bounced check) they meant give her credit in their office for the next visit. So then my mom got upset about that and they said they will see what they can do and call her back in an hour and never did. Oh, and the vet gave my mom 3 syringes of wormer and didn't tell her when or how to give it so today my mom asks me how far to put the syringe up her bum! Needless to say I gave her dog the first dog and then explained when how to give her the next ones. ANYWHO overall it was not a nice experience and even though I told the vet Lars coat is shiner, his poo is better, and his skin is less dry on this food and that I liked it quite well he still sat there for 20mins going on and on about how bad it was and how SD is "the BEST food you can get." Plus, how can he sit there and say that by-products are good for your pet to eat? And that he doesn't get any kickbacks from SD for selling it (maybe he doesnt but I thought thats how it worked?)? Sorry that was loooong but now you get the picture lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:00 am

We actually dont' get kickbacks... my clinic sells Royal Canin, and I haven't gotten a darn thing from them in a year. I don't even get free or discounted food for my own pets.

The dewormer and fecal exam are good ideas for puppies. MOST puppies will be born with roundworms, and roundworms are the cause of 15,000 children going blind every year. EVERY puppy should be dewormed several times.

Small breed dogs have LOTS of eye problems based on conformation and your pup very well may have had a secondary infection related to it.

As for price... you get what you pay for. Go to http://healthypet.aahanet.org/eweb/star ... HealthyPet to find a quality clinic held to a high standard of care in your area.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:11 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:We actually dont' get kickbacks... my clinic sells Royal Canin, and I haven't gotten a darn thing from them in a year. I don't even get free or discounted food for my own pets.

The dewormer and fecal exam are good ideas for puppies. MOST puppies will be born with roundworms, and roundworms are the cause of 15,000 children going blind every year. EVERY puppy should be dewormed several times.

Small breed dogs have LOTS of eye problems based on conformation and your pup very well may have had a secondary infection related to it.

As for price... you get what you pay for. Go to http://healthypet.aahanet.org/eweb/star ... HealthyPet to find a quality clinic held to a high standard of care in your area.

Hmm well thats good to know he wasn't lying then haha.

Well I agree, pups definitely needs dewormer, but the fecal exam isn't necessary is it? Ok, I will tell my mom about the chance of a secondary infection so she feels better about it maybe. Oh, and it's my moms pup not mine. She's cute but not a great hiking/camping companion lol. Thanks for the site link but apparently all our vets are crummy :P "We're sorry, but your search did not return any results. Please try again."

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:46 am

Ooooh... that sucks..

You don't have to be AAHA to have a good hospital, but AAHA hospitals pay the american animal hospital association to regularly inspect their clinics and make sure they are adhering to strict safety, health and medical standards. There is NO regulation of the veterinary standard of care, so when a clinic chooses to become and AAHA clinic, it says they take pride in being the best.

Best of luck finding a great vet!!

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:31 am

Thank doG for vets !!!

hugh_dog
Newborn Bully

Postby hugh_dog » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Ooooh... that sucks..

You don't have to be AAHA to have a good hospital, but AAHA hospitals pay the american animal hospital association to regularly inspect their clinics and make sure they are adhering to strict safety, health and medical standards. There is NO regulation of the veterinary standard of care, so when a clinic chooses to become and AAHA clinic, it says they take pride in being the best.

Best of luck finding a great vet!!

It also says that they have some expendable income. Unless a hospital is being built new, it can be difficult for some hospitals to become AAHA certified, and it has NOTHING to do with quality of care, the quality of the vet, or their pride in their work. When an old Picker X-ray machine dies and a new one has to be purchased, that means that there is no money to make some of the almost cosmetic improvements that AAHA requires. Our developer is in a small, functioning bathroom off of the treatment area. Obviously that rules out AAHA certification at this time, even though it has NOTHING to do with standard of care. Maybe when AAHA starts ponying up the money for us to build a whole new room for the automatic developer, more practices will be able to meet their standards.

I'm not Paul Harvey and that's.......

the rest of the story.

Return to “Health Issues”