Health Question!! Please Help!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Health Question!! Please Help!

Postby bohica18x » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Got a question for all those knowledgable people out there. I have an 8 1/2 week old APBT. I picked him up last Friday and we drove straight to the vet for a wellness exam and first vaccinations.
Anyways, for the first few days that we had him, his stool was a little runny. I expected this because of the change in food from his breeder. He is now being fed an all organic kibble. For the last 24 hours though, his stool has hardened up, and he seems almost constipated whenever he has a bowel movement.
And I noticed that after he has a bowel movement, his anus pushes out a little less than half an inch. But when I bring him back inside to wipe him, it only sticks out about 1/4 of an inch.
I have read about dogs that have a protruding anus, and I really dont think that is what this is. There is no red or anything like that protruding, it just seems like his anal area sticks out a bit.
Is this normal???

By the way, I tried writing in proper lamens terms instead of using my redneck vocabulary. lol.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:27 pm

haha, Wyatt's got a weird stickie-outie bunghole too....i had always only had labs and never seen anything like that. I think you're okay

bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Postby bohica18x » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 pm

I figured it was normal. But being a new Dad, I just wanna make sure. The last APBT I had was a rescue. Very old rescue at that. I never noticed it on him, of course I never wiped his rear for him either though. He had the whole potty thing down perfectly.

Dozer's stool still looks healthy to me though. Since he has kicked the diarrhea, his stool is firmer, but not hard by any means.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:08 pm

Has he been checked for parasites and/or dewormed?
If not you need to do those things.
Puppies can strain themselves right into a rectal prolapse, especially if there are parasites.
Good luck.

bohica18x
Newborn Bully

Postby bohica18x » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:14 pm

Yes, he started his worming treatments. And when I took him to the vet, they didnt take any blood samples (i think because of how young he is), but they took a stool sample.
And before I left, they said he was very healthy.

Not real sure how they check parasites....again though, they said he was healthy, so i'm not sure...

Return to “Health Issues”