to crop or not to crop...thats is the ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bizzo518
Newborn Bully

to crop or not to crop...thats is the ?

Postby bizzo518 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:50 pm

hey everybody, just wondering about peoples feeling about cropping the ears....if and when it should be done and some feedback about the whole process, thx...... 8)

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:00 pm

there are a lot of threads on the topic, if you do a search you'll find 'em. my personal opinion is this: the only reason i would ever crop a dogs ears is if there was a proven health benefit (which to my knowledge there isnt,) the hassle you have to go through to get the ears to set right isnt something i want to deal with, its a painful thing for the dogs and there are always chances of complications, on top of everything i think it makes the dogs look 'scarier' to the general population... i dont think our dogs need anymore help in that department.

danah515
Adolescent Bully

Postby danah515 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:04 pm

I personally love the ears natural...especially the floppy ones. :inlove:

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:05 pm

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

Here's a 57-page thread all about it! :)

Molly should keep her ears...

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:05 pm

hey everybody, just wondering about peoples feeling about cropping the ears...

Nice way to waste money for folks who have no problem putting their dogs under the knife for cosmetic reasons.But yeah, many threads on it.

bizzo518
Newborn Bully

Postby bizzo518 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:09 pm

mtlu wrote:http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4892&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here's a 57-page thread all about it! :)

Molly should keep her ears...

lol thx i did search...i guess not good enough....

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:27 pm

I personally am not a fan of cropped ears on many dogs, Bullies in general I prefer natural, though a few look great with cropped ears i would never crop any of my own dogs ears. We had to seriously consider getting Stormy's ears done because she kept getting tears and little cuts that took forever to heal but now as an adult we're glad we decided to leave her ears alone, the ear leather is real thick and tough now so we don't have to worry about it anymore. Some of the pinschers look good with their ears done, but again I personally prefer natural. Now a Rottweiler or a Dobermann with a natural tail, that would look odd to me because i've never seen it in person although i'm sure if i saw one i would like it natural as well. All in all i guess i'm just not big on cosmetic alteration of a dog's looks, if he's born with floppy ears and a long tail then i suppose they're there for a reason, if the people who created the breed in the first place had wanted no tail or short perky ears they would have bred in aussie for no tail or something with naturally small perky ears to get the look, unless there is a medical reason I guess you could say I'm anti crop although i don't go pushing my opinion on others and i don't judge a dog's beauty on weather or not their ares or tail are done.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:28 pm

silly type o!! Ears or tail in that last part not ares

JurisMyDiction
Super Bully

Postby JurisMyDiction » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:33 pm

i got my dog after he was cropped and wish they had left him ALONEEE not cropped is so much more refined and nicer. plus cropped just makes them look like baby eaters.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:50 pm

How could you cut these off??? Takes away from their personality :headbang:

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:17 pm

They've actually done some studies with cropped and docked animals- and they have a tendency to get into more "dog squabbles" due to miscommunication.

For instance, the Boxer- who regularly has docked tail and cropped ears- tends to get into more heated squabbles on average.
They believe it is due to its erect ears- in dog language that's an alert stance-
and a stub of a tail- that can't be read when it wags.

Combine that with a tall stance and a broad chest-
and a Boxer just looks like its' cruising for trouble in dog language.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:23 pm

cashisking wrote:They've actually done some studies with cropped and docked animals- and they have a tendency to get into more "dog squabbles" due to miscommunication.

You wouldn't happen to have any links to such studies, would you? I'd love to read some of those.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Stormi wrote:
cashisking wrote:They've actually done some studies with cropped and docked animals- and they have a tendency to get into more "dog squabbles" due to miscommunication.

You wouldn't happen to have any links to such studies, would you? I'd love to read some of those.

x2....that's very interesting and i guess it makes sense too

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:43 pm

ears are so sensitive and they love to be carressed I say leave them nautual and I too love the floopy ones :inlove:

MPTonyT
Newborn Bully

Postby MPTonyT » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:09 pm

rambler72 wrote:How could you cut these off??? Takes away from their personality :headbang:

Absolutely i cant imagine mine with cropped ears. or a tail for that matter.

Return to “Health Issues”