Beating up their tail

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PigDog
Newborn Bully

Beating up their tail

Postby PigDog » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Mugsy has a full, intact tail. When she gets excited (which is often), she wags it really hard.

Just lately she's been hitting it on stuff so bad that she drasw blood. And it sprays blood everywhere.

Biggest problem is it an open wound, looks really raw and has some black around it (I think just scab, but may be dying skin). Real tender to the touch. It's the only time she's ever shown pain.

We've got a vet's appointment on Teusday and I think we may have to dock/amputate her tail. :sad:

Aside from it being expensive, I'm afraid of anything having to do with the spine (infection, etc).

Anyone else have this kind of issue?

Mario

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Many of us do, a few have had to dock.

Do a search for "Happy Tail"

PigDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PigDog » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Amie wrote:Do a search for "Happy Tail"

23,580 matches... :crybaby:

Thanks, though.

Mario

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 pm

On of my friends had the same problem with his lab. His tail was so strong it hit holes in the dry wall, TWICE!

Well after trying to set the broken tail twice, and to no avail, they docked it beneath the break.

It seemed to make him happier! lol

PigDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PigDog » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Any idea what the cost was? (So I can prepare mentally...)

Mario

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:53 pm

If you are going to dock it.. it is probably best to dock it to a pretty short length (like dogs with standardly docked tails) because if they just cut it right below the open wound, there is still enough tail left to start whacking it again, and then you have to do more surgery. Some vets do this as a rule, and others will try to just cut off the affected part.

No idea on cost.. I'm sure it varies a lot between vets.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Hopefully member, "Kingsgurl" will see your thread and reply
I am fairly certain she had a good plan for 'happy tail'
'Red' also has a dog, (Jack) with a docked happy tail.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Here are a couple of the previous threads:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... happy+tail

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... happy+tail

I have one that recovered from happy tail without having to dock. When I was at my wits end and docking was the next step, the vet came up with a kind of e-collar for his tail and it healed. It's been over 6 months since a bloody incident and we haven't had any problems with it since.

During the worst of it, my house looked like a murder scene. No kidding.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:00 pm

Random tip: Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work great on dried blood spatter.

Good luck with the happy tail.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:54 pm

I feel your pain. I've been dealing with this off and on with Kitty for her whole life... Her tail wags VERY hard. It's weird how some dogs tails don't hurt you, and some cripple you.

I usually just end up wrapping it with duct tape to stop blood from spraying and to prevent the open cut to keep hitting stuff unprotected. I'll put a little neosporin on the cut, then tape a square non stick bandage over it, then tape the whole thing down starting a couple of inches above the cotton square. Works for us. She'll wag them off eventually but I just replace it. We have had a recent bout, and it's stopped now.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Yep.
That's why Booker got his tail docked like a Viszla at age 3 or 4, last year, well about a year ago.

He didn't have happy tail before last Feb 1st and he hasn't had it since the tail has been "abbreviated," there was just an overwagging/self-mutilating/chewing accident and the bones broke. Uck.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:04 am

Mysti has a 'visla' crop now too. You can do several things during the early stages to hopefully get around surgical repair. (Mysti's was an ongoing issue since puppyhood, successfully 'fixed' on many occasions, it was only when there was actual necroptic damage (dead bone and tissue) that we decided to go the dock route.

The first step is to get it to fully HEAL. You can help this in a number of ways. The duct tape will work with some (not as effective with super hard waggers) We used a surgical glue, then a soft wrap and encased the tip of the tail in a syringe cover from the vets office (the end is cut off so it is open and can breathe) The hard plastic casing protects the tail from any more impact damage, while allowing the woulnd to heal up. By the end, we had to wrap all the way to the base of her tail, as she would remove it otherwise. In the early going, she left it alone.

Good luck!

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:39 am

Loki had a really bad bout with the happy tail. It was at the point the vet began gently suggesting removing at least half of her wagging beat stick. We decided to give it one last go, the boyfriend does miniature scale models for wargames and let me borrow some of his goodies to use in a last ditch effort to save Loki from loosing the better part of her tail. We used a hunk of pink insulation foam and cut out a section to match the shape of her tail but twice the size and split it down the middle and carved it out inside to make a groove for her tail, then poked mcdonalds straws through to make air holes and coated the thing in duct tape and re cut the holes then after we fitted it around her tail much like a strange clam shell we crazy glued the open side back together and made her a cute little duct tape garter belt to keep the contraption in place. She hated it like a cat hates water but after three replacements and about a month and a half the raw boogery end of her tail was nice and healed and the hair came back. It's been a little over a year and thus far no more happy tail, if it comes back yes our method might be a little unorthodox and she does look all kinds of gawky in a shiny gray tube tail but it worked pretty well for us. If you decide to try something similar the pink insulation foam is available at home depot or lowes, it's expensive but you can usually get them to give you a badly broken sheet at less than half the price of an intact sheet. Good luck!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:47 am

ooo ya..happy tail.. aka whack a tail in my house.
I have had pretty good luck using the surgical strength glue on www.jefferspets.com or jefferspet.com not sure now which it is (at work typing fast as usual)

Some say just super glue is the same, I do not know if that is true or not..for the little bottle I bought lasts a long time.

But it helped in letting the tail begin to scar over, which is what I wanted so it would be thicker.

:thumbsup:

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm

Allie wrote:Random tip: Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work great on dried blood spatter.

Good luck with the happy tail.
x2 on the Magic Erasers!! They work on slobber too.

Return to “Health Issues”