Beating up their tail

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:07 pm

BigBadPibbul wrote:Loki had a really bad bout with the happy tail. It was at the point the vet began gently suggesting removing at least half of her wagging beat stick. We decided to give it one last go, the boyfriend does miniature scale models for wargames and let me borrow some of his goodies to use in a last ditch effort to save Loki from loosing the better part of her tail. We used a hunk of pink insulation foam and cut out a section to match the shape of her tail but twice the size and split it down the middle and carved it out inside to make a groove for her tail, then poked mcdonalds straws through to make air holes and coated the thing in duct tape and re cut the holes then after we fitted it around her tail much like a strange clam shell we crazy glued the open side back together and made her a cute little duct tape garter belt to keep the contraption in place. She hated it like a cat hates water but after three replacements and about a month and a half the raw boogery end of her tail was nice and healed and the hair came back. It's been a little over a year and thus far no more happy tail, if it comes back yes our method might be a little unorthodox and she does look all kinds of gawky in a shiny gray tube tail but it worked pretty well for us. If you decide to try something similar the pink insulation foam is available at home depot or lowes, it's expensive but you can usually get them to give you a badly broken sheet at less than half the price of an intact sheet. Good luck!
you must post pics, this sounds really neat and VERY inventive

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:37 pm

If only i had a picture of it on my computer! I think we've still got the last one we made somewhere out in the garage, i'll have to go and look for it in the morning when i can see, though it won't be on Loki's behind, she's gotten so much bigger over the last year it's not even funny. I'll look through my old pictures too and see if i've got one of her looking oh so miserable wearing it.

Dtwo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Dtwo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Bandito had bad happy tail last year.
I used nustock on it and nothing else. Took about two weeks and haven't had the problem since.
He is an outside boy, so I did not have to worry about covering it.

PigDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PigDog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Well.

We went to the vet and decided to take a few inches of her tail. I think it will be for the best.

Maybe she won't rack me in the 'nads when she walks by anymore... :peace:

Mario

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:07 pm

Okay, but if you only take a few inches, be prepared in the future to go through the same thing all over again.. because it will still be long enough for her to hit it on stuff. Not saying it will necessarily happen, but there is a pretty good likelihood.

PigDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PigDog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:15 pm

Yeah. The vet only wants to take off an inch.

I'm not buying it. My concern is it happening again. If it was totally up to me, I'd just have them dock it down to Boxer/Terrier proportions.

We shall see.

Mario

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Heh, Booker had just about 3 inches or so removed. He never had problems with happy tail before last February when the tail had to be removed because it broke. He hasn't had problems with happy tail since then, until about 5 or 6 days ago. See my thread below? Heh.

I don't know, it's such a PITA to deal with and the surgery isn't great, either.

For my dog it's not so much hitting it on things, he might whack the tail pretty hard and then he CHEWS on it, which does far more damage than hitting it could ever do. He's in a cone right now.

I hope it turns out okay for you and your dog! Good luck. After surgery make sure they give you a cool contraption to protect the tail but still allow air to flow. They made mine with some cotton and lots of tape and some vet wrap and the container for a very huge syringe.

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Two of my dogs have very hard wagging tails. Rosco's used to break open all the time. It never got to the point where I needed to consider docking but my house often looked like a crime scene. Pearl and Rosco's tails will leave bruises on legs but Pearl has never broken her's or opened up a wound (though believe me the sound it makes hitting a wall or door is outrageous!). Rosco's randomly stopped breaking open and has been healed for about a year now. I keep an eye on it still but it looks great even though it still hurts when he walks by me. lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:28 pm

PigDog wrote:Yeah. The vet only wants to take off an inch.

I'm not buying it. My concern is it happening again. If it was totally up to me, I'd just have them dock it down to Boxer/Terrier proportions.

We shall see.

Mario

IMO it is up to you. You aren't looking to hurt the dog, etc. I think your vet should obey your wishes.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:03 pm

You might want to talk with another vet before deciding.

Our vet had to amputate our Tiva's tail, 4 inches below the base (she had cancer, not happy tail). They charged $500 for everything--surgery, pathology on the tumor, anaesthesia, painkiller, etc (but this is a rural vet practice, not an urban practice, so their prices are generally quite reasonable). Tiva has been so much happier without her tail, since she used to get some wicked hot spots. With a very short tail, she has never bothered the end. Healing took 2 weeks.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Woops--I was wrong. The vet charged $268 for the tail amputation, but that did not include sending the tumor to pathology (that was about $100, and that was done on the previous visit. Yes, my 3 dogs are busy doing their best to send my vet's kids through college).

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:00 am

Poor Mysti had quite a bit of her tail removed. I wanted it left longer, but my vet had specific reasons for the length he left. Let me know how it turns out, and the best of luck to you and your pup!

PigDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PigDog » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:45 pm

All went well. Mugsy's recovering and going back to being her usual PiTA self. :))

The vet took off about 2/3 of it. She's got a Weimaraner crop now. Looks pretty cute!

Mario

Return to “Health Issues”