who gets their vaccines from the feedstore?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pickleyone
Newborn Bully

who gets their vaccines from the feedstore?

Postby pickleyone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 am

i live in a low income rural area and i think if i can get my neighbors interested in doing things like this maybe we can put a dent in the parvo deaths around here. i think each set of shots is like four bucks. most people around here have probably given shots to their farm animals but may have not extended it to their dogs.

i give my other animals injections from the feed store, so it seems wise to do it with the dogs, too. i have done something similar to what is stickied re subq fluids and parvo to a dog before and it worked very well. very well indeed. my friend who is a trainer and also has a farm background told me she has always given her own dog shots. so, next time i'll do the same.

who else gives vaccines from the feedstore?

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:49 am

I've done it before. I see nothing wrong with this practice, it's the exact same shot your vet gives them.

The only difference is you don't have an official "vet record" which will hinder things like kenneling or travelling.

But even there, if you find yourself needing to do one of these things, they only require proof of "up to date" shots, which just means you need to take the dog to a vet that one time to get "up to date" records.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:30 am

I actually order my from KVvet supply. It's cheaper for me to do them myself, then got to my regular vet. And it does help out, when you never know if you are going to have a foster come threw the doors.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:44 am

Just a warning.. The thing you have to worry about with feedstore vaccines is you don't know how they have been transported and stored. Vaccines have to stay refrigerated but not frozen. If they get frozen, that inactivates the vaccine. The feedstore might not be aware of how important it is to keep them at a controlled temperature, or might not even realize that maybe their fridge is just a little too cold and freezing in the back, or may have left a shipment outside for a little too long.. there are just a lot of variables. Same thing if you order them... make sure they do not sit out in front of your house in the sun or anything! Veterinarians are more aware of how to properly handle the vaccines.

Also, vaccine reactions do happen, even if your dog has never had a reaction before. So if you are going to give vaccines at home, make sure it is during business hours so you can rush your pet to the vet if needed.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:36 am

I believe most feed stores are more responsible than that, but either way, we order ours now from jefferspet or vetmeddirect.com - they end up being like $2.00 - $4.00 each which is good for the rescue.
Most feed stores are around $7-8 each.
My own dogs are all old enough they don't need yearly vaccines any longer.

If you're going to do your own you want to look for 5-ways, not 7 ways.
Leave out Lepto and Corona, not only are they more expensive, the lepto can cause an allergic reaction in your dog.

And on that note, always be aware that any vaccine can cause a reaction, and keep some injectible epinephine on hand as well as benadryl.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:15 am

I use the feedstore vacccs. They are cheaper and easier for me. I give mine the 7-ways, to me Corona and Lepto are important, just watch for any sign of a reaction. Mine have been getting the 7 ways since they were 4 months old. Also, I get Bordatella shots from the feed store as well. I keep the labels off the bottle as you are supposed to for your records.

I've also done titer tests on Hobie and Red as they are both old enough that they should have enough antibodies built up in their system. BUT IMHO you still need to do the titer test so you have documentation that the dog IS vaccinated.

Courtney

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 am

We buy our shots from our vet because our dachshunds are allergic to Lepto.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:21 am

Msvette... Lepto is HUGE in this area... one of the highest levels in the nation... do you skip the lepto completely or just skip it with the fosters?

Corona is only important to puppies too young to vaccinate or in females who will produce puppies (only way to get antibodies to puppies) so its essentially worthless. Its hard to find vaccines without it though.

My local feed store doesn't even have a thermometer in the refrigerator. The do not know the temperature in the fridge and they do not care.

Not all vaccines are created equal. There are over 150 vaccines to choose from with 20 some things to vaccinate against. Does your local feed store carry modified live vaccines, genetically engineered vaccine, or just the cheapest killed vaccines?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:34 am

Our vets have never mentioned the necessity of Lepto - we don't give it at all to our dogs or fosters. In 7yrs. we've never had an issue with it.
Your area has a different climate than ours, maybe that's part of it?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:37 am

Study is a few yrs. old - but mentions Western WA as opposed to Eastern.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/rdvm/lepto.asp

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:52 am

I purchase vaccines from the feed store for fosters. I've given them to my own dogs, but I'm more comfortable taking my dogs into the vet for their yearly vaccinations.

I just advise adopters to take the dog/puppy into the vet for a new set, so they can start records on them, if I haven't already had them in for rabies vaccines.

Libby

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 am

Yeah that's what we do too, our health record we give adopters states that their vax are not complete and they need to take the dog in to their own vet a week after they adopt, to transfer shot records and get their own vet recommended vaccines.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:20 pm

I have used them, but IMO it's a better idea to order them from a reputable place like KVVET or Jeffer's... For one dog you can get the single vax. I ordered a bottle, and treated my whole litter from a bottle. Cheaper that way.

I don't vax my adults so it's been a long time since I've had to think about this!

pickleyone
Newborn Bully

Postby pickleyone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:35 pm

i wish more people had access to feed stores. i have one friend in the city who lives somewhat near one and has started going there more often. like anything, some people are dumb, but most workers/owners are very aware about animals and also in an across the board way, from horses to dogs type way. because they have to do things themselves and have also heard from thousands of people over the years their experiences. often, they are like walking encyclopedias, able to offer several options, complete with the pros and cons.

i have gotten waaaaaaaaay more realistic info from the feed store about problems than i ever have at a vet. and for FREE. i can go in a feedstore, have a conversation and leave without buying anything. in fact, i've had feed store owners say to me when i told them i was on a budget, well, you know, they carry this same thing at xyz only packaged as abc. read the ingredients and you'll see for yourself. as much as i like vets, no vet has ever sent me somewhere else to get a deal more in line with my budget. lol. not downing vets, just saying that it would be neat if more city people with out a lot of money had these as an option.

pickleyone
Newborn Bully

Postby pickleyone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:40 pm

or maybe that's more of a country thing, knowing that you'll come back and be a loyal customer the better service they provide so they don't mind not making money off you everytime? since their pool of customers is more limited, getting return ones is maybe more important?

Return to “Health Issues”