who gets their vaccines from the feedstore?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Msvette... Lepto is HUGE in this area... one of the highest levels in the nation... do you skip the lepto completely or just skip it with the fosters?

Corona is only important to puppies too young to vaccinate or in females who will produce puppies (only way to get antibodies to puppies) so its essentially worthless. Its hard to find vaccines without it though.

My local feed store doesn't even have a thermometer in the refrigerator. The do not know the temperature in the fridge and they do not care.

Not all vaccines are created equal. There are over 150 vaccines to choose from with 20 some things to vaccinate against. Does your local feed store carry modified live vaccines, genetically engineered vaccine, or just the cheapest killed vaccines?

The ones that I have bought are Modified Live Virus. I also only buy Fort Dodge vaccs as that is what my vet uses. I've order offline from KVVet before but it is easier and moire conveinient to run to the store and buy them. I only buy them from one feed store where I know the owner and the precautions that are taken with vaccines there. They also carry horse vaccs and other livestock vaccs as well. I figure that someone vaccinating from the feedstore is better than no vaccinations at all which is why
I recommend people do it that way.

I'd rather see someone buy a feedstore vacc. and use it than say they take their dogs in for yearlys at the vet when they don't/can't afford it, just to look better to people. I meet many uneducated owners and while trying to educate them, you can only give so much advice before you sound rude and snooty. I've found that Vaccines are a huge dispute for some people and educating them on their individual level works better than spouting jargon that they don't understand.

I know that I'm in Tri-Cities,WA and my vet recommends vaccinating against Lepto. He says that it is very high here in WA. Better to be safe than sorry when traveling for competitions.

misskiwi- Would you recommend continuing HartGard here or is it unnecessary?? I used it while in NM, but never here in WA. I have 3 months left and wanted to know if I should get more.

Courtney

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:30 pm

ugh... really on the lepto?? doo-doo. Should I get it done now on the young ones? Clearly, not on Emmitt as he's 13.5 years old with an already iffy immune system.

I SA vacc's and order the distemper & parvo combo online (KV Vet)- did one set with lepto on Coal but the other 2 puppy sets were lepto free. Is that enough MissKiwi? Isn't it like a shot then another 3 weeks later? I think I heard that from my vet.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:28 am

I spoke with one vet who said sure, get it, the other said unless they are near standing water like irrigation, etc. or cow pasture stuff, don't worry about it. And they aren't, so I'm not.

Maybe I'll email WSU and get their opinion, though. The last studies they did said West side primarily.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:38 am

I live more in the country with cows and horses closer. I just go by what my vet recommends. BUT I also will start titer testing again this year. I'd rather do that than over-vaccinate my dogs.

Kirstan- Ask your vet. I'd rather be safe than sorry where vaccines are concerned. You could also titer test them as they may have antibodies from the previous lepto shots they had already. I know that approx. 1 out of 3 vets on the east side recommend having Lepto done. The others say what Yvette said. I'd just call my vet and ask him!

Courtney

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:57 am

pickleyone wrote: as much as i like vets, no vet has ever sent me somewhere else to get a deal more in line with my budget. lol. not downing vets, just saying that it would be neat if more city people with out a lot of money had these as an option.

You really think the feedstore isn't trying to sell you something???

The feedstore will sell you what fits into your budget. Your vet will sell you what is medically sound for your pet. In the long run, you always get what you pay for.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:04 am

msvette2u wrote:I spoke with one vet who said sure, get it, the other said unless they are near standing water like irrigation, etc. or cow pasture stuff, don't worry about it. And they aren't, so I'm not.

Maybe I'll email WSU and get their opinion, though. The last studies they did said West side primarily.

Its not just standing water, its ANY water. When I was in Iowa, we were seeing apartment dogs like pomeranians who were picking up lepto. Its not just hunting dogs and farm dogs anymore.

See what WSU says... I went to a vaccine clinic when I was in Florida, and they were shocked that it was still optional to us since we're in Western WA.

Kirstan... Lepto is a killed product, so you need to booster it at least once within 6 weeks of the original. There is a product out that contains FOUR different kinds of lepto. This is the product you want to get. Because its a killed vaccine, it needs to be boostered yearly.

As for the heartguard... I'd finish it up, and then put your pup on a general-purpose heartworm/flea preventative like Revolution. You've still got some heartworm prevention on board, but the reality is most of the state just plain isn't warm enough to warrant the heavy hitters like heartguard. The consequences of being wrong during a particularly warm spring would be devastating, so I still recommend some sort of heartworm preventative no matter where you live.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:07 am

At the vets I used to work for, we did send people elsewhere to get a better deal. For medications, anyway. I saw the vets call around to pharmacies, trying to find a better deal for a client when prescribing an expensive medication. We could sell it to them at our necessarily high price, but why not save that money for something else?

I do still vaccinate my dogs on a 3 year schedule, and I have the vet do it. I like to take my dogs in annually anyway, to get checked out, and getting a vaccine at the same time isn't that much more expensive.

If I had a ton of dogs, I suppose I would probably look into getting the vaccines and giving them myself (I do know how), but it just doesn't seem worth it in my case.

I've been debating the lepto. My dogs aren't vaccinated for it, but we are awfully close to Washington, which has a high incidence, and I travel into Washington frequently to compete. I've heard there's some around here, too. I haven't decided to start giving it yet, though.

pickleyone
Newborn Bully

Postby pickleyone » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:35 am

:bowdown: misskiwi i'm kind of guessing you're NOT one to buy your vaccines at the feed store. roflmao

pickleyone
Newborn Bully

Postby pickleyone » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:36 am

sara, i'm glad you worked for that kind of vet. 8)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:45 am

pickleyone wrote::bowdown: misskiwi i'm kind of guessing you're NOT one to buy your vaccines at the feed store. roflmao

Vaccinology is one of my personal interests... which is probably a good thing because I'm a vet.

I attended a special conference about 6 weeks ago to learn more about vaccines, vaccine selection, vaccine safety etc... The more I learn, the scarier it is that you can buy some of the stuff available and inject it into your own dog without a medical license. There are some nasty-@ss old vaccines still available for dirt cheap just because people don't know any better.

pickleyone
Newborn Bully

Postby pickleyone » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:05 am

i appreciate you finally being upfront about that. that explains the rest to me much better.

i live in a rural neighobrhood where people from the city come and just dump their "extra" animals. the people here can barely take care of their own. so there is a need for very low cost answers. parvo is rampant. people here, and i'm not joking, often don't even have glass in their windows, but plastic. so, i can't exactly say hey we have to get all these dogs to vets. but i was thinking if we could get people to vaccinate ourselves, maybe have a monthly thing with sandwiches for the kids, or something, that might at least help. there is no way it could be worse.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:06 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
msvette2u wrote:I spoke with one vet who said sure, get it, the other said unless they are near standing water like irrigation, etc. or cow pasture stuff, don't worry about it. And they aren't, so I'm not.

Its not just standing water, its ANY water. When I was in Iowa, we were seeing apartment dogs like pomeranians who were picking up lepto. Its not just hunting dogs and farm dogs anymore.

See what WSU says... I went to a vaccine clinic when I was in Florida, and they were shocked that it was still optional to us since we're in Western WA.

Kirstan... Lepto is a killed product, so you need to booster it at least once within 6 weeks of the original. There is a product out that contains FOUR different kinds of lepto. This is the product you want to get. Because its a killed vaccine, it needs to be boostered yearly.

As for the heartguard... I'd finish it up, and then put your pup on a general-purpose heartworm/flea preventative like Revolution. You've still got some heartworm prevention on board, but the reality is most of the state just plain isn't warm enough to warrant the heavy hitters like heartguard. The consequences of being wrong during a particularly warm spring would be devastating, so I still recommend some sort of heartworm preventative no matter where you live.

Alright! Thank you for the info on everything! I didn't figure I'd need such a heavy heartworm preventative but I wanted something still. Living in NM made me scared of heartworms especially after working at a vet clinic there.

I'm making a thread about different Flea preventatives, now as I ahve a few questions about them.

Courtney

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:21 am

Sorry to jack the OP thread - I'm getting Coal and Audry boosted for lepto today. Damnit.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:27 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:

Thanks, I will email them, they are always good to write back.
What's your opinion of Galaxy vaccines? They are always the least expenisve.
I'd get Ft. Dodge (what I always used in the shelter) but they require a vet prescription so we just stick with Galaxy (Shering Plough).

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/20 ... c737_d_150

msvette2u

Aha...

Postby msvette2u » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:31 am

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/products. ... sort=&c=11

Galaxy® DA2PPvL
$58.95
7-way
Canine Distemper, Adenovirus Type 2, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus Vaccine (MLV), Leptospira Bacterin
(Schering-Plough) Inject 1 ds (1 ml) SQ or IM. Initial dose may be given at 6 weeks of age or older. Repeat at 2-4 week intervals until dog is 12 weeks of age. A minimum of 2 ds are required for primary immunization. 1 ds annual revaccination.
NOT FOR PREGNANT DOGS.

NOTE: Many vets do not recommend vaccinating small dogs or young pups with Lepto. The vaccine is not normally needed and can cause harsh and sometimes fatal reactions.

I guess this is one reason why we've avoided it.
Definitely going to write WSU today!

Return to “Health Issues”