what medicines do you keep on hand?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pickleyone
Newborn Bully
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:39 pm

what medicines do you keep on hand?

Postby pickleyone » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:12 pm

what is the stuff that you keep "for in case."

on another thread, someone mentioned benadryl for allergic reactions which i keep, too. i love "nfz puffer" (.2% nitrofurazone) a topical powder which is good for dog bites, cuts as well as eye and ear infections.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:15 pm

Triple antibiotic ointment (generic from walmart next to the neosporin)
Betadine wash/scrub
Fresh bottle of Hydrogen peroxide for vomiting, not wound cleansing
Vet wrap
wormer (pyrantel pamoate, not piperazine)
Ear cleanser (only to be used under vet advisory or for routine cleaning, not if dog has a problem)
Biospot for all sizes of dogs
Dyne (for sick dogs)
Rimadyl in different dosages to be given under vet's advice at 1mg/lb of body weight (2x a day) or 2mg/lb if given once a day.

User avatar
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5973
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: Northern Mississippi

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Benadryl(vaccinations and River is allergic to fire ants)

Strongid(wormer for the pigs and dogs)

Panacur

Terramycin(Gracie sometimes gets eye infections)

Triple antibiotic ointment


Of course, we only give them Panacur and Terramycin if, it is okayed by our vet.

User avatar
jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1358
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: Northern VA
Contact:

Postby jessandace » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:43 pm

ace's first aid kit:
animax
benadryl
81mg asprin
gauze
bandages

User avatar
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4873
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Contact:

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:06 pm

*peroxide (for inducing vomiting)
*any extra antibiotics especially Keflex
*immodium

*KY Jelly

why? (get your mind out of the gutter :twisted:)
Years ago, after a huge fight, we had an injury that required stitches in our Alpha female. The Emergency Vet, who knew us well by then, said that the injury would be OK until the next morning if we cleaned, bandaged, gave pain meds and kept it moist.

Those of you who know that water is NOT something you want to put on a would knows that it is a quick way to ruin skin. BUT KY Jelly is water based, but will not cause celluar damage or for the wound to scab. So, we squirted some KY all over the wound, wrapped with gauze & Vet Wrap and waited 7 hours until the regular vet opened (and saved about $500).

BTW, this would work for people too. Think about if you were in the woods or in remote location? It would help out a lot.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4544
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:51 am
Location: jc, nj

Postby MikeZev » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:52 pm

in the house we keep only peroxide, spray on bandage, benadryl and ivermectin (we always keep leftovers because its expensive)

anytime we need rimadyl, we usually get it from the shelter.

oh and baby wipes, they are a must.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Pitbull-Lady wrote:*peroxide (for inducing vomiting)
*any extra antibiotics especially Keflex
*immodium

*KY Jelly

why? (get your mind out of the gutter :twisted:)
Years ago, after a huge fight, we had an injury that required stitches in our Alpha female. The Emergency Vet, who knew us well by then, said that the injury would be OK until the next morning if we cleaned, bandaged, gave pain meds and kept it moist.

Those of you who know that water is NOT something you want to put on a would knows that it is a quick way to ruin skin. BUT KY Jelly is water based, but will not cause celluar damage or for the wound to scab. So, we squirted some KY all over the wound, wrapped with gauze & Vet Wrap and waited 7 hours until the regular vet opened (and saved about $500).

BTW, this would work for people too. Think about if you were in the woods or in remote location? It would help out a lot.


Interesting.
We do keep KY (I forgot about it) for taking temps if necessary.

Also nail clippers and quik stop for nicks.
And antibiotics of all sorts, injectable (Penicillin Procaine) and "fish antibiotics" such as Fishmox (amoxicillin), Fish Flex (cephalexin), Bird Biotic (tetracycline), etc.
Those are only used with vet's approval and dosage recommendation and I would probably not do that if it was just my own dogs but it saves quite a bit for fosters at times.

User avatar
KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5257
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Vallejo, CA
Contact:

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:08 pm

msvette2u wrote:
Pitbull-Lady wrote:*peroxide (for inducing vomiting)
*any extra antibiotics especially Keflex
*immodium

*KY Jelly

why? (get your mind out of the gutter :twisted:)
Years ago, after a huge fight, we had an injury that required stitches in our Alpha female. The Emergency Vet, who knew us well by then, said that the injury would be OK until the next morning if we cleaned, bandaged, gave pain meds and kept it moist.

Those of you who know that water is NOT something you want to put on a would knows that it is a quick way to ruin skin. BUT KY Jelly is water based, but will not cause celluar damage or for the wound to scab. So, we squirted some KY all over the wound, wrapped with gauze & Vet Wrap and waited 7 hours until the regular vet opened (and saved about $500).

BTW, this would work for people too. Think about if you were in the woods or in remote location? It would help out a lot.


Interesting.
We do keep KY (I forgot about it) for taking temps if necessary.

Also nail clippers and quik stop for nicks.
And antibiotics of all sorts, injectable (Penicillin Procaine) and "fish antibiotics" such as Fishmox (amoxicillin), Fish Flex (cephalexin), Bird Biotic (tetracycline), etc.
Those are only used with vet's approval and dosage recommendation and I would probably not do that if it was just my own dogs but it saves quite a bit for fosters at times.


So... would Astroglide work? I have that on hand :twisted:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:13 pm

I bet it would be smooth roflmao

User avatar
KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5257
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Vallejo, CA
Contact:

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:25 pm

LOL. Ok, seriously... I keep:

Vetwrap
Gauze
Tape
triple antibiotic
Rimadyl
Peroxide
bendryl
Pepto
Advantage/Frontline
styptic powder
Schreiner's Herbal Solution

User avatar
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4873
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Contact:

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:40 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:
msvette2u wrote:
Pitbull-Lady wrote:*peroxide (for inducing vomiting)
*any extra antibiotics especially Keflex
*immodium

*KY Jelly

why? (get your mind out of the gutter :twisted:)
Years ago, after a huge fight, we had an injury that required stitches in our Alpha female. The Emergency Vet, who knew us well by then, said that the injury would be OK until the next morning if we cleaned, bandaged, gave pain meds and kept it moist.

Those of you who know that water is NOT something you want to put on a would knows that it is a quick way to ruin skin. BUT KY Jelly is water based, but will not cause celluar damage or for the wound to scab. So, we squirted some KY all over the wound, wrapped with gauze & Vet Wrap and waited 7 hours until the regular vet opened (and saved about $500).

BTW, this would work for people too. Think about if you were in the woods or in remote location? It would help out a lot.


Interesting.
We do keep KY (I forgot about it) for taking temps if necessary.

Also nail clippers and quik stop for nicks.
And antibiotics of all sorts, injectable (Penicillin Procaine) and "fish antibiotics" such as Fishmox (amoxicillin), Fish Flex (cephalexin), Bird Biotic (tetracycline), etc.
Those are only used with vet's approval and dosage recommendation and I would probably not do that if it was just my own dogs but it saves quite a bit for fosters at times.


So... would Astroglide work? I have that on hand :twisted:
I believe it is oil based..... so no. lol

User avatar
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4873
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Contact:

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:44 pm

msvette2u wrote:And antibiotics of all sorts, injectable (Penicillin Procaine) and "fish antibiotics" such as Fishmox (amoxicillin), Fish Flex (cephalexin), Bird Biotic (tetracycline), etc.
Those are only used with vet's approval and dosage recommendation and I would probably not do that if it was just my own dogs but it saves quite a bit for fosters at times.
So can you get these OTC at the pet store or thru a catalog like DrF&S?

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:50 pm

I keep quite a bit on hand.....

Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Co-Flex
Bendryl (Generic Costco kind)
Gauze
Advantix
Rimadyl
Peroxide
QuikStop (for toenails)
Pepto Bismol
Antibiotics
Furazone
Shriners(for horse wounds mainly but is awesome stuff.)
Wormer
HartGard
Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo
Panalog cream

Courtney
and some other things

User avatar
Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 11:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Megan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:54 pm

I just have the basics:

Peroxide, Betadine, Bandages and wraps, Antibotic Ointments, Blue Kote(this is GREAT for minor cuts, it's actually in the chinchilla closet, but works great for the dogs). Quick Stop, There are some painmeds/antibotics laying around too.

Then theres the chinchilla closet--which has even more medications.

User avatar
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4873
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Contact:

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:00 pm

oh! I almost forgot in the arsenal of feminine products
PANTYLINERS preferably Always.

They are the perfect non-stick surface, cheaper than non-stick gauze... have multiple uses AND are usually better than a thick gauze trauma pad.

Excellent for road rash.

you don't even have to remove the liner, but it's good to because it will stick to the gauze wrap and not move around.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests