Thinking about home microchiping

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:57 pm

we have homeagain in our dogs and it costs $15/year to keep it registered to us. we've scanned them at the shelter just to test them out and they work fine. we havent started chipping dogs ourselves yet but its something i could see us doing in the future.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:39 pm

MikeZev wrote:we have homeagain in our dogs and it costs $15/year to keep it registered to us. we've scanned them at the shelter just to test them out and they work fine. we havent started chipping dogs ourselves yet but its something i could see us doing in the future.

Both mine have HomeAgain chips and I only had to pay $17.50 to register each dog for their lifetime. I actually prefer Homeagain to the other chips. Red has a HomeAgain, an Avid and 24PetWatch in her.

Since I have 2 registered dogs and HomeAgain is AKC, you can link it to your dog's registration number which makes it extra nice for me.

Courtney

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:51 pm

MikeZev wrote:we have homeagain in our dogs and it costs $15/year to keep it registered to us. we've scanned them at the shelter just to test them out and they work fine. we havent started chipping dogs ourselves yet but its something i could see us doing in the future.

BTW, 24petwatch allows you to create an account online to keep your information updated with them for free, for life.
They say they "may charge" if you do it over the phone but we've had our Dachshunds chipped with them for 2yrs. now and we just update our cells, etc. as needed, on the online database.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:53 pm

OK, wait!! You have to pay each year with Home Again?? My older dog has HA and I thought it was just a one time registration fee?? Both my cats have AVID and so will the new puppy as that's what they use at my vet clinic.

racheroonie
Newborn Bully

Postby racheroonie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Wow i'd like to see a video of you doing that :)

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:29 pm

1lila1 wrote:

OK, wait!! You have to pay each year with Home Again?? My older dog has HA and I thought it was just a one time registration fee?? Both my cats have AVID and so will the new puppy as that's what they use at my vet clinic.

I don't know what MikeZev has exactly.

I do know that I have HA chips and there was only a 1 time fee on them. There is also an online database that is free to update after your 1 time registration fee. Unless they've changed policies in the last year.

Courtney

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 pm

HA just changed their policy. If you go and register a chip now, you have to pay a yearly charge. If you registered before then you are still fine.

I went to register a dog that had been chipped for 3 yrs (bad mommy forgot to register) and they still made me pay yearly even though it was implanted many years earlier during their past policy.

I prefer PetWatch, but thats me.

tbluverjumper
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby tbluverjumper » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:19 pm

One of mine has HA but he got it several years ago so he should be okay. The rest are 24petwatch and i'm liking them. We had all of them done at once at low cost spay/neuter function for like $15 a dog, reg. and all. Free online reg. which you can update any time and it seems like most places are checking for it these days.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:26 pm

I would do it on my own if I wasn't such a baby about sticking that HUGE needle into them. I do SA vaccs for everyone here - I'm just too much of a coward to do the chipping.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:32 pm

That really sucks! I'll be recommending 24PetWatch or Avid then. That's ridiculous. The AKC makes enough money without charging yearly for their microchips. :po:

Courtney

Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

Postby Absolute Peril » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:15 pm

Get him/her chipped. Dogs get lost everyday. you wouldn't want your dog's collar to break and his/her tags gone forever and it get picked up and put to sleep or adopted out to another family. When dogs arrive at a shelter they are automatically scanned for a chip in Illinois(where I live). Also if someone was to steal your dog and get a vet check and they scanned it; they would know it was stolen. This is only with the Avid chip though.

I am still looking for a GPS chip for my dogs.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:35 am

I was just looking at some the kits they have available, for a basic, bare bones micro chip pack (five) it comes to sixty dollars with shipping. And I just checked Avid's website to find out how much it is to register them, fifty dollars for all of your pets up to five, or 18.50 for a single pet. So, that's reasonable. Hmmmm...I might just have to order that. I can handle doing vaccines, not sure about the micro chipping, anyone have any experience actually doing it??

pickleyone
Newborn Bully

Postby pickleyone » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:36 am

i just talked to my friend who has done them. she says with some dogs there is a pretty large ouch factor. maybe i could trade and some folks could do mine and i could do theirs. i can slaughter a chicken but don't let me see my dog wince getting it's toenails cut. makes me nauseous.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:53 am

I would be a bit leary, IF YOU are leary of inserting a microchip, they have to be "deep" or they can migrate, and its nice to have a scanner to be sure its in place post injection.

If a dog is going in for a spay/neuter surgery I always have the vet or vet tech do it when the dog is out , for they can embed it deeper .

Athletic and hyper dogs they are more prone to slide around , some end up in legs and all kinds of wierd spots if they start sliding around.

Many rescues and animal controls offer low cost microchipping clinics or "days" look around if you would like a more experienced person do it for low cost ones.

I can vaccinate dogs and critters even run Sub Q IV's but I just can not do those microchips ! go figure.. they just freak me out.

Some dogs dont flinch , Shoot Meatball flexed his lil musclar self and the chip literally popped back out the hole, talk about not having it deep enough, we had to do it again deeper and he just sat and smiled.. l ol silly dog. Scooter whelped like we were pulling her tail off. !

But do I reccomend it, DEFINATLY YES !!!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:32 am

I have read many sites that claim micro chips can cause cancer, just wanted to make sure your aware if that fatcor.
I was not when I got my dogs chipped, but will not chip again because of it.

Return to “Health Issues”