Size of 6-8 week old runt of litter pit

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Northplayer13
Newborn Bully

Size of 6-8 week old runt of litter pit

Postby Northplayer13 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:38 am

How much do you think a female runt of should weigh?

We have a female that we just got and she is extremely tiny. Good shape to her, but she is the smallest pit I've ever seen.

What do you all think?

db_sampson
Super Bully

Postby db_sampson » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:50 am

do you have anymore pics of her, maybe standing beside something to show her size (and because shes gorgeous). i dont know what weight should be but my amstaff girl was the runt aswell and was only about 2/3rds the size of her litter mates, now at 8 months id say shes probably just under 20kg.

Northplayer13
Newborn Bully

Postby Northplayer13 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:04 am

I will have to get more pics tomorrow but she is small. The momma was probably like 50lbs max.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:35 am

Our last runt weighed less than 1/3 lb when she was born, These were APBT English Mastiff puppies, at eight weeks when her brothers and sisters were eight to thirteen lb monsters she was a tiny little pound and a half devil with an attitude fit for a demon lol as long as your runt isn't super skinny, you can't see her hips or every last rib and joint i would think it safe to say she's just fine as long as she's otherwise healthy. Just keep an eye on how much she wants to eat when she starts into a growth spurt. Two of our adult girls were runts, Storm grew like a weed starting at about six months and wound up average sized for her type, Chino however never really hit a growth spurt and at almost three is still the tiniest American Bulldog i've ever seen.

ChrisSE19
Newborn Bully

Postby ChrisSE19 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:02 am

BigBadPibbul wrote:Chino however never really hit a growth spurt and at almost three is still the tiniest American Bulldog i've ever seen.

Aww, pics of Chino!?

Our Daisy (AB) was the runt. She's 6 months now, at knee hight and weighs 15KG.

And Pip (SBT X Ridgeback) was the runt of her litter too. SHe was such a weedy looking pup when we got her. She's 11 months now, filled out nice and has great muscle tone...but is pretty short.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:07 am

You can not compare sizes of runts from various litters. There is no growth/weight chart especially for situations like that to compare from.

What I would be more concerned about is the over all body condition/appearance, the activity of the pup, her eating habits, and overall health. That is what is more important than the exact # of her weight.

I'd keep tract to make sure she doesn't loose any weight and suppliment her feedings by giving her more time on mom than the others or an extra feeding hear and there throughout the day if she doesn't seem to be holding weight ok.

I'm guessing she is a rescue.... if not I'd be concerned if the breeder let her go when she was under 8 weeks especially with her being so tiny.
Also if she is a rescue there is a possibility she is not purebred which can also account for the small size

Make sure if she hasn't been she is wormed asap to help her grow properly.

Some pups are runts or very small because they are actually conceived at a later time than the other pups in the litter depending on how the breedings were done; other times pups are small due to a large litter size, poor health and or just the genetics of the dog.

Very cute pup! Best of Luck with her! I hope that helped

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:10 am

My dog was the runt of the litter, and eventually grew up to be the largest. Don't worry too much.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:You can not compare sizes of runts from various litters. There is no growth/weight chart especially for situations like that to compare from.

What I would be more concerned about is the over all body condition/appearance, the activity of the pup, her eating habits, and overall health. That is what is more important than the exact # of her weight.

I'd keep tract to make sure she doesn't loose any weight and suppliment her feedings by giving her more time on mom than the others or an extra feeding hear and there throughout the day if she doesn't seem to be holding weight ok.

I'm guessing she is a rescue.... if not I'd be concerned if the breeder let her go when she was under 8 weeks especially with her being so tiny.
Also if she is a rescue there is a possibility she is not purebred which can also account for the small size

Make sure if she hasn't been she is wormed asap to help her grow properly.

Some pups are runts or very small because they are actually conceived at a later time than the other pups in the litter depending on how the breedings were done; other times pups are small due to a large litter size, poor health and or just the genetics of the dog.

Very cute pup! Best of Luck with her! I hope that helped

:goodpost:

Northplayer13
Newborn Bully

Postby Northplayer13 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:42 am

I appreciate the help. The pup is a rescue. The momma was almost starved to death during her pregnancy and she wasn't producing enough milk. The momma was all skin and bones. She looks a lot better now. The pup is actually doing really well though. She sleeps a good amount, is already half way potty trained. We had only had 2 accidents other than at night. She is VERY playful so I know she's healthy. Just curios on her size because this is the smallest pit I have literally ever seen.

I will try to take more pics tonight after I get back.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:07 pm

BTW- That pup is about 5 weeks, not 6-8, for sure.

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Goodness, she's TINY, definietly looks a LOT younger than 6-8 weeks...a LOT younger.

Northplayer13
Newborn Bully

Postby Northplayer13 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:28 pm

I agree with people saying shes a lot younger than 6 weeks. She is eating solid food and I don't want to get her a wormer if shes to young.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:36 pm

You do want her to get a wormer if she's got parasites, because they are stealing her nutrition, and can starve her. you're right, you don't want to give her wormer if she doesn't need it. Bring a stool sample to the vet. She should get vetted anyway. Vets will prescribe a wormer appropriate for her age.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:26 pm

Leslie H wrote:You do want her to get a wormer if she's got parasites, because they are stealing her nutrition, and can starve her. you're right, you don't want to give her wormer if she doesn't need it. Bring a stool sample to the vet. She should get vetted anyway. Vets will prescribe a wormer appropriate for her age.
I agree.

Also if the mama was starved and the pups were not getting enough nutrients to start it could also account for her size. It doesn't necessarily mean she is younger than what the rescue said, a vet would be able to help you better with determining age.

trigueoh
Newborn Bully

Postby trigueoh » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:33 pm

We took in a litter of three a few weeks ago. The little red girl was also the runt. She weighs half of what her siblings weigh. We separate her from her siblings multiple times a day to make sure she is getting enough food and water. We also dewormed her right off the bat, they all had a pretty bad case of hookworm. The runt in particular was walking mainly on her pasterns but that has improved dramatically. She also managed to get pneumonia. She is now in the 5-6 week range and is doing very well. She is still half their size but is feisty and playful.

For feeding: I soaked puppy kibble in Ebsilac formula and then blended it for them

Return to “Health Issues”