Want to start my KITTY on raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Tula
Adolescent Bully

Want to start my KITTY on raw

Postby Tula » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:23 am

I've read most of the BARF and raw threads, read a lot of websites that people have linked me to.

I find the variation and amount of information to be a little overwhelming.

Was wondering if someone could link me to a good website that would allow me to draw all of my information from it. One that outlines what to feed, how much, why, ETC.

Jezabel my kitty was a barn cat, so lived on "raw" essentially until I adopted her! That said she was also fed a LOW quality DOG kibble most of the time, so I'm not sure how much hunting she actually did. She was in really rough shape, but that was due to a massive worm burden more than anything, and multiple litters of kittens/year. Shes getting Innova right now, and I had planned on switching her to EVO asap. But now I'm thinking... why not go raw? I feel like it would be easiest to start with the cat, because she would eat less and I know she doesn't have any allergies (whereas with Tula... thats up in the air right now) so I won't have to be very cautious about what shes getting. I just feel like once I got in the swing of things with raw I could transfer most of what I'm doing with the cat over to Tula.

Jezabel now has a nice fluffy coat, no more dry skin. All her parasite issues have long since been dealt with (she gets a regular fecal done). Shes an indoor cat right now because I live in an apartment in the middle of town. However shes developing these big fat deposits on her caudoventral abdomen; no matter how much I restrict her food (shes on low-fat innova too), they just keep getting bigger. I had read a couple raw feeders say that their cats became less "lumpy" once on raw...

Any kitty raw feeders have any advice for me? Links to good websites?

Thanks for your time :)

pickleyone
Newborn Bully

Postby pickleyone » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:35 am

8)

i love what you said about she was bascially on raw anyway as a barn cat. lol. that is so true. my cat lived under my house when i moved in. she still eats field mice, birds and crickets even though i feed her too. i have given her bits of raw meat thinking she would like it, but she upchucks where as with a mouse, she eats it and then only does the normal cat thing of throwing up the inedibles all at once.

i dont' know what you mean about the fat deposits.

Tula
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tula » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:48 am

Right back in between her hind legs she has what I can only describe as rolls of fat. They run along her mammary glands. They only appeared after she was spayed last summer, and have just kind of slowly increased in size over time.

One possibility is that is a benign mammary hyperplasia; I've read some conflicting articles about it, but I'm not ruling it out as a possibility. Since shes spayed it shouldn't be hyperplasia, but I did speak to one of my professors whos said hes seen it in multiple cats up to a year after their spayed...

I guess its conceivable that is a mammary carcinoma (which would be very bad), but its bilaterally symmetrical, easily moveable (feels subcutaneous type deal), skin isn't ulcerated at all.. just doesn't scream neoplasia to me at all. And since I know the prognosis is awful if it is carcinoma (aka at this point, it would have already metastasized), I haven't ran into school to have a fine needle aspirate done. Maybe that makes me a bad owner, but quite frankly if its carcinoma, its already metastasized so there would be nothing I could do anyways.

So I've decided its just that my cat is getting fat. A couple classmates have palpated her and went with either hyperplasia, or fat-cat.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Find a variety of kitty friendly raw foods at www.rodentpro.com

Its actually a snake food company, but their animals are raised and euthanized humanely, and their service is phenomenal.

pickleyone
Newborn Bully

Postby pickleyone » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:19 pm

i don't think it makes you bad mama. it just makes you more realistic than most i think.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:05 pm

My roommate's cat has those swingy fat deposits too.. at least that's what we always assumed they were. My roommate gets grossed out by them... when she had the cat shaved she thought they looked like testicles..just swingin away down there. It really was pretty gross.

Tula
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tula » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:25 pm

Thank you for the link Missikiwi. Looks like I could order Rabbits from there for Tula down the road as well...

So with my 4.5 kg kitty, I would feed her 2% of her bodyweight; so 9g/day? So I could just feed her one of the little fuzzies/day (range from 9-18g)?

Tula
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tula » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:28 pm

I was referring to the "fuzzie" rats in above post.

Roxers; glad to know my cat isn't the only one with testicles. I actually refer to them as her boobs, I tell her shes going to need a bra soon.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Find a variety of kitty friendly raw foods at www.rodentpro.com

Its actually a snake food company, but their animals are raised and euthanized humanely, and their service is phenomenal.

I'm assuming these are whole carcasses, is that correct?

Tula
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tula » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:27 pm

Yup, whole carcasses. You buy them by bags of 100; the more bags you buy the cheaper they are/bag.

Not sure if this company ships to Canada though.

However us Canadians have reptiles too, and not everyone wants to feed a cute live fuzzy mouse, so I'm sure theres frozen mice around here too. Just have to check it out I guess.

Missikiwi; any idea how they're euthanized? Just curious... assuming its not via injectables?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:48 pm

CO2 maybe?

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Hmmm...my spayed females have the swingy fat too...maybe it's from the muscles being cut

Tula
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tula » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 pm

Yeah, and they get super lazy. Atleast mine is; she just basks in the sun all day, or curls up in her bed etc...

I'm obviously the worlds most paranoid pet owner to automatically start thinking about mammary carcinoma when my cat gets fat :oops:

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Find a variety of kitty friendly raw foods at www.rodentpro.com

That's where I buy my rabbits from to feed to the dogs. From my experience, their feeders are clean and healthy looking.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Tula wrote:Thank you for the link Missikiwi. Looks like I could order Rabbits from there for Tula down the road as well...

So with my 4.5 kg kitty, I would feed her 2% of her bodyweight; so 9g/day? So I could just feed her one of the little fuzzies/day (range from 9-18g)?

2% of 4.5 kg is 90g

Return to “Health Issues”