Question on EVO

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Question on EVO

Postby Shes Got Heart » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Hey guys, I've been feeding EVO since December, Helena is doing great on it, as I've mentioned she dropped weight and added some muscle tone. I have read that the food is too high in protein.. I looked it up on dogfoodanalysis and it said that it was high in protein but should only be used in adult dogs.. she is 2. I also heard from other forum people that it should be soaked in water before fed. I remember soaking our dogs food in warm water before we fed them.

I heard this was to keep the dog better hydrated. But she has free access to water at all times and I haven't noticed her drinking less. I usually fill her bowl every day to every other day.

I also heard If she's not doing much work than she doesn't need that amount of protein. Should I try regular Innova again?

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:57 pm

If she is doing so good on it, WHY change?

Also, I used to feed EVO and I added supplements as well. Thus I soaked the food with a mixture of water,olive oil,and the supplements.

Courtney

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:03 pm

A lot of times I hear people say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", when it comes to questions of what to feed.

You have probably heard a rumor that has been going around, that high protein diets cause kidney disease. Well here is a link on a Doctors Foster & Smith site that may put your mind at ease ~ http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 0&aid=1104

ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby ams036 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:20 pm

I switched to EVO about a month ago because of Grace's recent weightloss. She is a very active dog so she needed more fat than what she was getting in her old food and I noticed the high fat content in EVO and heard many good things about it. I would say if your dog is doing so well and the vet has cleared her as healthy I would not worry about it! I have noticed Grace drinks more water, but not a whole lot more. I do add water to her food but that is because I also add some wet food, salmon oil, and cottage cheese to her food as well. She also has free access to water at all times.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks guys! She loves it, she scarfs it down at every meal licking the bowl for more. I was worried about the kidney problems. But I couldn't figure out why higher protein would cause a problem when animals are carnivorous which contains a lot of protein in their diets.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:48 pm

JoeBingo wrote:A lot of times I hear people say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", when it comes to questions of what to feed.

You have probably heard a rumor that has been going around, that high protein diets cause kidney disease. Well here is a link on a Doctors Foster & Smith site that may put your mind at ease ~ http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 0&aid=1104

Thanks Joe that did ease my mind

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:26 pm

I currently feed EVO Red Meat to my adult but that may change soon because of the high Calcium.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 9&aid=1089

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:30 pm

my dog got chubby on EVO, so we switched back to regular Innova, shes doing great on it!

But my cats do better on EVO, I guess like everyone else said, dont fix what aint broke! lol

ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby ams036 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:17 pm

luvmybulls wrote:I currently feed EVO Red Meat to my adult but that may change soon because of the high Calcium.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 9&aid=1089

I may be mistaken but I think this only based on feeding high calcium as a puppy not an adult.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Shes Got Heart wrote:Thanks guys! She loves it, she scarfs it down at every meal licking the bowl for more. I was worried about the kidney problems. But I couldn't figure out why higher protein would cause a problem when animals are carnivorous which contains a lot of protein in their diets.

I don't think it's high protein, I think the ratios are off, but I could be wrong.
I've heard a lot of negative things about it, but have no personal experience with it.

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:59 pm

ams036 wrote:
luvmybulls wrote:
I may be mistaken but I think this only based on feeding high calcium as a puppy not an adult.

According to the following, they need less calcium as they mature.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 59&aid=652

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:07 pm

msvette2u wrote:
I don't think it's high protein, I think the ratios are off, but I could be wrong.
I've heard a lot of negative things about it, but have no personal experience with it.

I'm afraid you might be right. Like I said before, I was an avid EVO feeder for a while and have had good results but I may be stopping after the latest bag is gone.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:50 pm

I was die hard on Premium Edge for awhile. Then Innova was just a few more dollars... and then up to EVO. As long as shes doing well on it I'm keeping her on it.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:30 am

luvmybulls wrote:
ams036 wrote:
luvmybulls wrote:

According to the following, they need less calcium as they mature.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 59&aid=652

Yes, less calcium is needed as they mature, but excess calcium can have devastating effects in large breed dogs if they consume excess calcium while they're growing. From your own article:

Calcium excess

Feeding high calcium diets with excess calcium is often blamed for contributing to bone problems in young, rapidly growing dogs. There does appear to be a link between the incidence of hypertrophic osteodystrophy (HOD), osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) and hip dysplasia, and the overfeeding of calcium. In recent studies, researchers fed dogs calcium at a much higher than recommended amount, and compared the incidence of disease in dogs that were fed normal or less than normal calcium levels. As would be expected, the animals that were overfed calcium showed increased incidence of skeletal problems including hip dysplasia.

LARGE BREED PUPPIES SHOULD NOT BE FED FOODS WITH OVER 1.2% CALCIUM

Evo contains 2.55% calcium, and Evo red meat contains 2.09% Calcium

Now what most people don't know is that young puppies absorb calcium indiscriminately, regardless of weather they need it or not, and therefore excessive calcium in the diet is even more destructive at a young age. Even EVO does not recommend its food for large breed puppies.

For adults, its no big deal anymore.

redog
Newborn Bully

Postby redog » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:05 am

I feed EVO with water. Sure they can drink water through the day, but if the food will dehydrate them, then you might as well give water with it and not dry the dog out, just to later hydrate them. imho
I don't know how an inactive dog would do on EVO. My dog gets a couple hours of exercise every day.

Return to “Health Issues”