Taste of the Wild (kibble)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
elrojo
Adolescent Bully

Taste of the Wild (kibble)

Postby elrojo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:49 pm

I have two bullies, Rose (ABD, almost 4) and Shortstack (EBD, 2 and a half). I fed them Eagle Pack, Merrick, and Nutro for most of their lives. I now own a pet shop and like to try everything on my own animals to get a proper opinion of it -not that any one food is ideal for every dog.
I switched them both over to Taste of the Wild, distributed by Diamond brand. My English bullie's ears are much less "dirty" and Rose's coat is noticeably softer just when I pet her. The protein and fats are a tad high in the Bison formula I feed, but my ABD runs and springpoles a ton and probably needs it at this stage in life. I found a website, dogfoodanalysis.com, that rates their foods very highly. But I have one couch potato and one tri-athlete. Just wondering if anyone here has an opinion on this food. I supplement with a little bit of raw (commercial frozen/thawed) a few times a week, but TOTW is the bulk of their diet currently.

When I've tried to feed them different formulas, they are just too interested in what the other is eating, and if possible, I'd prefer the same food. I've had two bad fights in the last month (detailed in the Training section), and like feeding time to be together and routine.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:13 pm

From the standpoint of a concerned consumer, I have no problem with ToTW. In fact, it is in my kibble rotation for my two happy and healthy dogs. BUT, the only ToTW that I have tried is the "Pacific Stream Canine Formula" and the "Wetlands Canine Formula".

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Whatever flavor you decide to feed, the dogs should be fed separately, so they shouldn't have the opportunity to see what the other has.
I've had a few serious dog fights in my home. please do all you can to prevent them.

elrojo
Adolescent Bully

Postby elrojo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:28 pm

JoeBingo wrote:From the standpoint of a concerned consumer, I have no problem with ToTW. In fact, it is in my kibble rotation for my two happy and healthy dogs. BUT, the only ToTW that I have tried is the "Pacific Stream Canine Formula" and the "Wetlands Canine Formula".

I'm using High Prairie and some Wetlands. Interested in what is in your rotation, I'd spare no dollar to give them the best for them. Granted, one runs miles a day and the other is an English fattie.

Spammie, feeding isn't (well, has never been -crosses fingers) an issue for aggression. My tribulations are documented here: http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=114546

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:13 am

When I got Bella she was being fed 2 cups a day of Pedigree. I switched her on to TOTW Wetlands, for one bag, and have just rotated her to High Prairie. She actually lost a bit of weight, so I have increased her a little. She is the biggest couch potato ever. I love what her coat looks like. High Prairie is VERY strong-smelling; I wonder if she likes that. I plan to rotate to Pacific Stream, and then back to Wetlands.

Nanci

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:29 pm

I've been feeding the Pacific Stream version for about 2, 30lb bags now (maybe about 2 months-ish?) and she does amazingly well on it. It doesn't really smell too fishy and she hasn't had any problems in the poop department (which she usually does). Not to mention it's pretty well priced compared to it's competitors.

MissLelee
Newborn Bully

Postby MissLelee » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:53 pm

I had my puppy on ToTW. He really loved it and it is just a all around good kibble... I'm an avid fan of Orijen... thats what he is currently eating... but if I ever got to the per store and Orijen is out of stock I defintiely feed ToTW and EVO is my last resort.

elrojo
Adolescent Bully

Postby elrojo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:55 pm

I took home some Merrick BG today to mix things up. To me, it looks like a really similar food with a much higher price. I'll post on it if I see any change. One thing I had NO luck with was Wellness, which I'm sure is a fine food, but just mixing it in with ToTW really caused a lot of gas... and my girls are indoor dogs!

sclass0020
Newborn Bully

Postby sclass0020 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:53 pm

i have a puppy and i began him on puppy chow, he would eat it but always left some in his bowl. i started researching, as i do everything and i found as far as price/quality that TOTW was about as good as it got, so i put him on the wetlands formula a few days ago. he loves it, leaves nothing in the bowl but thats just our experience, i will continue him on it.

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:36 pm

elrojo wrote:I took home some Merrick BG today to mix things up. To me, it looks like a really similar food with a much higher price. I'll post on it if I see any change. One thing I had NO luck with was Wellness, which I'm sure is a fine food, but just mixing it in with ToTW really caused a lot of gas... and my girls are indoor dogs!

I'm in the process of switching to Before Grain from EVO for my adult and from Innova LBP for the youngster. I considered TOTW till I tried to get a guarantee of them not using Ethoxyquin as a preservative. They could not guarantee such a thing but Merrick could on their Before Grain.

elrojo
Adolescent Bully

Postby elrojo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:42 pm

That really bugs me. I wish there was a way to know if it's in there and in what levels... and what levels are considered even low risk. I have some Innova coming in tomorrow, will probably put that in the rotation as well.

Return to “Health Issues”